1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Confirmed] Chuck Hayes has 4 year, $20M offer from Sacramento

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yonizzel, Dec 7, 2011.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

A little late to the action but good for Chuck. He deserves it.

Time to say goodbye and find another unheralded defensive big that can impact the game yet not cost a fortune.

Somebody like a Fesenko type.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They had an offer from the Rockets before the lockout for full raises starting at 2.5 million, they have a much better offer now and are hoping the Rockets respond, but unfortunatly the Rockets may not be in a position to do that right now, and honestly, they may think that is too much for Chuck anyway.

But what Morey won't do is cave in, nor hurry, he is going to do what he thinks is right for the franchise regardless if it hurts feelings in the short term.

I think it is about 80% that Chuck is gone, he won't like waiting for the Rocks and they won't budge either, forcing him to take the Sacremento offer.

Honestly, my conspiracy mind thinks that the Rocks don't really want him back because he would demand too much money...

DD

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I hate to see this thread turn into a "Chuck Lover vs. Chuck Hater" pissing match with people ridiculing each other.

Let's hope he sticks around with a fair deal and if he doesn't, let's hope he lands on a contender or somewhere he really wants to be. Can we all agree to that without people promoting him to HOF status or relegating him to scrub level?

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

the most underrated undersized center in the history of the NBA

he needs to retire here, there is no way we can't match that offer!

5. DaDakota

Hear hear, I don't think anyone hates the guy, but some of us (myself included) think it would be better for the team if he moved on, so other players with potential could get more playing time.

Does that mean we get worse, possibly......

DD

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Happy for Chuck to get a fair-value offer. I wanted and expected for him to get such an offer from a contender. And, if he waited it might have come. But, I can understand that he needs to jump on this offer while it's still valid just in case another MLE offer isn't forthcoming after all. Sacramento can't wait around forever for him to say yes, especially in this offseason.

No way Morey offers similar money. I assume he's asking for more time so he can nail down a number with Dalembert and see how much he has left to offer Hayes ("has left" considering the flexibility he wants for the 2012 offseason).

Which brings me to Morey's decision to let Hayes become a free agent. He should have known Hayes would get a rich offer this offseason that he probably wouldn't want to compete with. So, while he was cutting Adelman's legs out from under him by trading away Battier and Brooks, why didn't he trade away Hayes too and get a draft pick or something? Maybe he tried and just couldn't get an attractive offer; I don't know (though I would think he was a better chip than either Brooks or Battier). It just seems a waste to let a valuable player's contract expire without making any genuine effort to retain him or get value for him.

7. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I love Chuck to death, but if we match that offer I'll be pissed.

8. mag

mag Contributing Member

Good for both sides!!!!

9. Raven

Raven Member

I like Chuck, but he's the type of player that Morey is suppose to be able to acquire in his sleep, the undersized overachiever.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent point, JV. One has to wonder what was going through Morey's mind. We've already lucked out by having Chuck for much less than he was worth, in my opinion, so he couldn't expect to get him for $2-$3 million a season. Why not make a trade and get something for the guy if you aren't willing to keep him for as much as $5 million a year, a reasonable offer for the Chuckster? I'm assuming he isn't, although I believe Chuck would take closer to $4 million starting salary simply to stay with the team. His agent would throw a fit, but Hayes can certainly handle telling his agent it's what he wants. (if it's what he wants)

I wonder what Morey's top offer will be, or will he simply tell him "Good luck, and thanks for all you did for the Rockets" without a counter offer. That would tell us a lot about what Morey is thinking.

11. DaDakota

True, but the fact that he asked for more time says it all too....they want someone else more than Chuck.

DD

12. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there's no question Houston will struggle on defense this year in general unless they can sign someone who can protect the paint. Hayes was great at taking the other team's best player, but I think it's best that he moves on.

13. DaDakota

True, but if they get someone that is a lot better on offense, they might be better as a team.

Especially if that someone also provides rim protection.

Everyone said the Rockets would get worse when Shane was traded and CBud got the starting spot, and exactly the oppposite happened, they got a lot better.

People hold on to what they know, they like their security blankets, too much.

DD

1 person likes this.
  14. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I'm curious to see if it's through trade or FA that Morey is focusing on...

15. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

You're right about the security blankets.

Overall, I hope we can get better whether it's for the future or now. No one on this current roster is untouchable if you ask me.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Love Chuck, but he doesn't change the course of the franchise. I hope this is the best for both parties: he finally gets financial security, and we continue to set things up the best we can to make a play for the 2012 free agent class and draft.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Chuck's agent says Morey asked for a little more time. Why would he do that if he has no intention of making an offer? The issue is cap space to run at Nene.

18. DaDakota

Yes, which is basically saying to Chuck "We might make you an offer, or we might let you walk, just give us time to chase players we really want and we will get back to you"

Sometimes saying nothing or making smallish offers means you are not really trying.....just like what Morey did to Ron Artest.....he made a small offer for one year basically saying he really did not want him.

I think this is a bit different, they want Chuck, but they want him at $2.5 million which is what they offered in June......

And they know they won't be able to match Sacremento's offer unless they get lucky and get a center locked up that they like, first.

DD

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because he is assetizing him one last time out the door. Shameful.

20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I love Chuck's contributions and his improvements from an undrafted rookie to one of the leaders on the team. He deserves a pay day from some one. That being said I don't know that the Rockets paying him a rather large contract when the team is currently not in serious contention would benefit us. In the short term, there is no one else that the Rockets have as good a chance of signing that will do as good a job as Chuck. In the long term, him being gone and young players getting a chance to sink or swim could make the team better though. Either the young players produce, or they are terrible and we get a decent draft pick out of the experience in a shortened season. Or they start off bad and turn into something decent by the end of the year and give the team both a decent draft pick and improving players.

It may be a long shot, but there still is a chance that Thabeet and T-Will turn into solid contributing players if given consistent playing time. I don't expect them to be all stars, but I doubt anyone expected Hayes to improve as much as he has over his career. Even Jordan Hill is still a young player. Chuck could be a real factor on a contender, but as long as he is our starter with no superstars on the team, he is just good enough to keep us mediocre. So we let him go and make the team worse so that hopefully down the road we improve.