1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conference Realignment?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Jun 17, 2015.

1. rockets13champs

We have now seen how bad the east is compared to the west that a depleted East team with one allstar made it to finals. This team wouldnt make it past round 1 in the west. i think the cavs could only beat the pelicans, mavs and blazers in west they cannot beat another team. The equality between conferences must happen. Should i suggest a North and South conferences instead of East and West? This could make sense and divisions could be done localy much like AFC NFC or AL NL type of thing. Where only divisions are local but conference games can have a difference of East and West the NBA could cope with this by playing 2 games in a city much like the MLB has a 3-4 game series with a certain team before going to the next city to play a game. If the knicks and warriors are both in the northern conference the knicks can go out west to play a 2 game stand then later in the season when warriors go out east they can play a 2 game stand in MSG. This would cut traveling, and fatigue many players currently have in the NBA.
    The Northern Conference i am proposing includes 15 teams along with the Southern Conference which contains 15
    Northern Conference:
    With 3 divisions
    North East
    Celtics, knicks, raptors, Sixers, nets
    Central
    Bucks, Memphis, Pacers, Pistons, Cleveland
    NorthWest
    Warriors, Jazz, Kings, Blazers, Twolves
    Southern Conference:
    South West:
    Lakers, Clippers, Suns, Oklahoma City, Denver
    Midwest
    Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Chicago, Orlando
    South East
    Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Washington, New Orleans

Now in the north the standings would possibly look like this:
    1.warriors
    2. Cleveland
    3. Memphis
    4.Raptors (divison)
    5. Blazers
    6. Pacers
    7. Bucks
    8. Kings
    9. Celtics
    10. Jazz
    Southern Conference
    1. OKC
    2. Houston
    3. Clippers
    4. Atlanta
    5. San Antonio
    6. Chicago
    7. Pelicans
    8. Washington
    9. Dallas
    10. Miami
    Its a bit better than the current situation. and the champion might be even truer. I believe this will cut the injury phenomenon in the NBA down a little bit and it will help teams who are constantly trying to find ways to rest its players. 2 game homestands like the MLB will be great for the NBA. The rockets can play a 1 game series with a north team but if they are playing in their own conference they will play a 2 game series each each team.
    Ie. against the clippers in the west we will play them monday and wenesday or monday tuesday depending on schedule then play lakers twice like a series then later on in season when the lakers and clippers are on a trip they will come play two games back to back in our house. It makes more sense for teams and players

2. ibm

ibm Member

what does this thing called conf. actually do, esp. when traveling isnt such a big deal like it used to be? why not get rid of all the silly divisions and this conf. altogether.

3. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Admittedly, I'm not American so don't know the geography of the USA like others, but I was under the impression that it would be quicker to fly north and south rather than east and west.

In this case, it makes sense to leave the conference as east and west. Imagine the Likes of New York and Portland in the same conference and having to play it each other so many times. That would be crazy.

Also, Orlando and Miami in different divisions? How does that make any sense?

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Typically, a team play in the same conference 4 times and the other conference two times. You would average it out to playing a team three times, thus negating tie breaker rules.
    For the most part, you're only talking about flying a couple extra hours.

I personally have no problem with the conference system. Its the playoff seeding that needs adjusting.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

We can change the Finals to the "Civil War Finals" Yanks vs Dixie.