1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conan O'Brien's last show tonight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

...before moving to new time slot in June

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/arts/television/19conan.html?ref=media

Building a Home in Late Night’s Shifting Sand

By BILL CARTER
    Published: February 18, 2009

Over the past week, his last as host of NBC’s “Late Night,” Conan O’Brien has taken to entering the NBC headquarters at 30 Rockefeller Center from the ice-rink side, breaking with his long routine of coming in from Avenue of the Americas.

“I was just determined that in the last few days I would walk through the front and into that main entrance,” Mr. O’Brien said. “I know I won’t come this way again.”

He added, “I’ll probably cry like a baby on Friday night.”

That will be his last night on NBC’s 12:35 a.m. series, “Late Night” — show No. 2,725 in his 16-year run — before he decamps for Los Angeles to prepare to replace Jay Leno as host of NBC’s “Tonight Show.” As part of an unusual deal Mr. O’Brien has waited patiently for five years after the network announced that he would become Mr. Leno’s successor in the premier real estate in late-night television.

“I feel like that’s sacred ground,” Mr. O’Brien said. “That’s the job I signed up for, and that’s the job I’m excited about.”

Sacred it may be, but that ground has shifted in the past few months. Rather than see Mr. Leno move on to another network to compete against his old show, NBC announced in December that it was opening up the 10 p.m. hour each weeknight for him, altering the makeup of late-night television.

As some outsiders see it, Mr. O’Brien, who turned down offers from ABC and Fox to remain at NBC, could be stuck in a familiar role — the follow-up act to Mr. Leno. It is a position that could leave him competing within his own network for guests and attention.

According to these people, Mr. O’Brien is getting, well, stiffed.

“I feel a little sorry for Conan,” said one longtime late-night executive, asking not to be identified because of possible future business with NBC. “I think he’s getting sandbagged.”

Warren Littlefield, who was NBC’s top program executive when Mr. Leno began at “Tonight” in 1992, said: “Sure, Conan is still getting the ‘Tonight Show,’ but who are we kidding? Call it what you will. But if NBC hasn’t done it yet, you know they are going to at some point be saying: ‘Late night begins at 10 o’clock.’ ”

Competitors certainly smell vulnerability. They point out that Mr. O’Brien is down to 1.9 million viewers this season from 2.6 million in 2007, though virtually all network shows have fallen off in recent years. Meanwhile on Comedy Central Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert posted record ratings last year (the election helped) and now land A-level guests.

On CBS Craig Ferguson, whose show is also on at 12:35, has been winning fans and defying expectations by edging past Mr. O’Brien among total viewers on occasional nights. (“Late Night” consistently wins among younger viewers.)

ABC’s host, Jimmy Kimmel, has a show at 12:05 and his backers at that network have discussed a move up to 11:35 to take Mr. O’Brien head-on. David Letterman, meanwhile, is talking about extending his CBS contract beyond next year, perhaps thinking he can reclaim late-night leadership.

Mr. O’Brien acknowledged some trepidation about the move. He described it by recalling a scene from the film “Apocalypse Now.” “I’ve spent my fair share of time at 3 in the morning,” he said, “lying awake like Martin Sheen in the movie, staring at the ceiling fan, thinking about my trip up river — and we all know how that turned out.”

Sitting in his cramped office on the ninth floor of NBC headquarters and wearing a sweatshirt and jeans, Mr. O’Brien was surrounded by mementos of his “Late Night” years: a stash of guitars, some signed by guests like Les Paul; photos, including one of Mr. O’Brien with Ted Williams (his dad’s baseball hero), another of him playing guitar with Bruce Springsteen (“He told me, ‘Conan, get your jazz box,’ and he is the Boss, so you do what he says”), and Mr. O’Brien with Mr. Letterman, from a day when Mr. Letterman, his predecessor, and “arguably one of the great broadcasters of all time,” came by the studio.

“Following him,” Mr. O’Brien said, “was like Ted Williams departed the field and a fetus ran out in a baseball cap.”

Mr. O’Brien noted the Pegboard with cards listing the final week’s guests. The board routinely held a month of cards; now, as the cards came down, there would be no more. (The list for the final night remains a secret.)

“I’m a very sentimental person who is posing as a cynical person,” said Mr. O’Brien, who met his wife, a copywriter, while taping a comedy bit for the show. “This is a period of my life that I will never recreate.”

What he creates on “Tonight” will inevitably be different, he said, in ways still to be determined. Several other late-night producers privately question whether Mr. O’Brien’s comedy style — which he himself defines as more silly than sophisticated — will translate to the more traditional “Tonight” show. A competitor who would speak on the record, Rob Burnett of the Letterman show, said: “I think Conan will succeed. He’s a really smart, really funny guy.”

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

NBC effed him over. I hope Leno's show fails.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Why is moving him to an earlier time slot "effing him over"?

4. YuTea

YuTea Member

Man i love watching all of Conan's skits, I hope he keeps the same format when he gets to LA.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Even if he is still second-fiddle to Jay, I'm sure he will still get more viewers just do to the fact that he's on earlier. A lot of people don't watch "Late Night" because it's on so late.

I'm interested to see how Fallon does. Are the people who will watch Jay at 10/9c, then watch Conan or Letterman at 11:30/10:30c, going to watch a third show?

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

finalsbound fall in a faint? :(

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Watch all the previous 2 weeks shows on NBC.com. At the start of the shows he is showing the "best hits" freaking incredible.

8. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

"Keep cool my babies" :D I saw the bit the other night where triumph the insult dog was hanging out with the star wars nerds. Freaking comedy gold!

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

One of my favorite shows on tv, particularly for it's consistency over 16 years. The highlight reels are killer. I think tonight will really be 'must see TV', even if you aren't a fan.

10. spence99

spence99 Member

Why does Conan have to move from New York to LA? Why can't they just do The Tonight Show from NY?

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i rarely watch ANY of that crap but conan is the only one that actually has made me laugh before.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Imagine if your company told you when your boss leaves, you will be promoted to boss. You are finally promoted to boss. Then a few months later, the company creates a special position that puts the old boss on top.

Not a perfect analogy, but something similar happened here. Conan has been waiting to take over Tonight Show. He finally gets it. Then NBC caters to Leno and gives him a primetime weeknight show. A better slot. Probably better pay (although I think Leno has always been making more than Conan). Conan is still second fiddle at NBC.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

14. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Conan is wonderful. I like silly, self-deprecating humor more than "sophisticated" humor anyways. I love his monologues, the Walker Texas Ranger clips, the Triumph bits, his run-ins with Martha Stewart...everything. I haven't watched very much this season because I don't stay up as late, so I like the move to an earlier slot (freaking hate Jay Leno). I will probably be alternating between tuning in for Conan and Stephen Colbert. Very different approaches to humor but both so endearing.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

16. Fatty FatBastard

So did I. In fact I remember watching that episode. I miss Andy Richter, though. The show seemed to calm down quite a bit when he left.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the 10PM slot for Leno takes away from great prime time television and will make it interesting for viewers to watch talk show, then the news, will they be ready for another 1.5 hours of late night talk?

to me they just moved up their lineup from 11:35 and 12:35 to 10:00 and 11:35, ruined some good programming, and shafted Conan in the process.

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

By default, Leno's show, while not the "Tonight Show" is still the flagship. And now that they are both in LA, they both compete head to head for guests. Even though Conan is funnier, publicists and studios are going to go with the currently more popular Leno as their first choice for promoting movies, tv shows, music, etc.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The funny thing was, that it was actually the perfect time for me back in the day as I would just be coming in after being out who knows where. Now, I d o prefer the normal time slot.

I do watch Conan less than I used to for sure, but have been catching the best of clips...hilarious.

20. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Yeah - I saved that one on my DVR, Triumph to Martha Stewart drinking OE and eating Taco Bell, a great episode. On Tuesday he replayed drinking and firing guns with Hunter S Thompson.