1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conan O'Brien announces microfracture surgery to stop NBC from moving his time slot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Will, Jan 12, 2010.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ferguson is probably my favorite of the non Comedy Central guys, but I don't think he'll ever be a ratings killer. His is a unique style, born out of an "ah, f'it, I'll just do me" philosophy. So from the monologue style, to Geoff, to his mug, to beavers, to his way with guests... it's all just kind of different... and I love it...

... but doesn't speak to "middle" the way Fallon does. He's not offensive. He does cute little skits, etc. I find it all too boring to watch, but I can at least see how people might turn it on, chuckle a bit, and just not change the channel.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Agreed with Ferguson and Letterman, but Conan has a very big internet/social media presence. He has a very large team of young people working for him (Team Coco) and often promotes his clips that go viral (like the recent Ice Cube/Kevin Hart bit) and hold Twitter/Facebook contests often.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Also, Ferguson flirts with every female guest in a way that I and most Ferguson fans probably find funny but I'm not sure if it will translate for the 10/11:30 viewers at that timeslot.

Crap, thanks for that. I forgot about Team Coco. Yeah he does have a big digital/social media presence. He is hamstrung on TBS but the presence he has online helps tremendously. Unfortunately for him, the two Jimmy's are on network TV and have a similar foothold on social media and w/their videos and skits online.

4. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I agree. Back in the day when there were only 3-4 channels, most people did passive watching of late night talk shows. I remember being in a diner in the middle of nowhere and watching Johnny Carson since there was nothing else on at that time. We all had our necks craned at the tube.

In that diner today, everyone's necks would be craned down staring at their smartphone screens. People would rather watch material tailored to their interests and busy schedules on YouTube, HBO GO, Netflix, etc. The humor people like is very diversified, and these hosts are largely are too vanilla for this day and age.

I'm amazed that the Big Three broadcast networks have been unable to react effectively to the rise of internet media consumption. You'd think after so many years they would have a solid strategy. Yet, they cling to the old business models smh.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tW0SacO27Uk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>