1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conan O'Brien announces microfracture surgery to stop NBC from moving his time slot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Will, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Which joke is that?

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If I may play Devil's advocate for a minute, this just occurred to me. We always get on comedians for doing the "(insert race) people do this etc" jokes. That never comes up with Jewish comedians though. I have never heard anybody complain about Jewish comedians doing the "you ever notice how Jews do this" jokes. Irish too, nobody comes down on a comedian if he is Irish and keeps talking about how much drinking they do.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I just think excessive ethnic humor is dull. And comics who rely on it too much are just copping out. Lopez's entire catalog has to do with being Mexican. Same thing with the fat comedians who do nothing but fat jokes. Or the (fake) redneck comedians who do nothing but redneck humor.

Chris Farley would have been funny whether he was 300 pounds or 180 pounds, IMO. Eddie Murphy would be funny whether he was black or white. Jerry Seinfeld would be funny if he was jewish or muslim. Another Brother would be just as funny if he were white. Would Lopez be funny if he wasn't Mexican? Hell, would he even have an act at all?

Good comics don't have to constantly fall back on their race/religion/appearance to be funny.

What was this thread about again?

4. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i just dont like one joke comedians. Lopez knows he has a limited act, so he makes for it by yelling the punchline. like i didnt anticipate where he's going with it.:rolleyes:

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I remember watching the first 20 minutes of the George Lopez HBO special maybe 5 years ago, all he did for those 20 minutes was call George Bush a b**** in Spanish and talk about "when you're mexican...."

It was the most painfully unfunny thing I've ever watched.

He makes Carlos Mencia look like George Carlin.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

farley wasn't that funny, and he was only funny because he was fat. i think of two things

fat guy in a little coat
    i live in a trailer down by the river (which being fat is a big part of that being funny)

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Bumping this because Leno is soon to retire again and Jimmy Fallon will take over as the Tonight Show host.

NBC got the last laugh. Conan is irrelevant now on TBS, Jimmy Fallon has improved a lot.

8. likestohypeguy

I was thinking the same thing about this situation, fallon is good. Didn't help that last night he annoyed me with a couple of ripped off jokes after not watching him in a long while. A fotc humans are dead bit complete with robot dance, and another i think sb related joke that wasn't good enough to remember where it came from. I just knew I heard it earlier this week somewhere else.

At least he's pretty talented, good with guests, and working into a style that should age well. And has cut out the fake/trying to hide laughing thing.

9. rudan

rudan Member

Leno > Jimmy > Conan

Conan wasnt funny, the dork from SNL is slightly funnier.

10. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

- said no one ever.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Jimmy Fallon is average at best... Which is a colloidal improvement from the horrible he originally was.

Conan is much better... But yes, somewhat lost in TBS. But no worries... He is getting pizzaid.

I actually like Kimmel/Ferguson the best these days...

But don't watch them that much either because Stewart/Colbert/@midnight are all much much funnier than any classic late night show.

12. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Craig Ferguson > everyone

1 person likes this.
  13. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Definitely the two top tier hosts, can't really stand watching anyone else. Ferguson and his way with the female guests, damn.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think Fallon is better for the younger generation... and that is needed if late night shows are going to be relevant going into the future.

He has good musical guest and a lot of great artist have debut on his show, and I think that will help him build a wider audience. Plus he does a good job of using the internet to keep his audience entertained.

15. Dei

Dei Member

Conan on TBS is horrible. If he doesn't put you to sleep, nothing will. I'm starting to believe NBC's feedback on his material's what made him good. A real shame considering he used to be pretty good.

Jon Stewart used to be funny but he's become more commentary and punditry rather than fake news, so the left's counterpart to O'Reilly. He's just so serious now. His correspondent crew's also fallen far from the class of Colbert, Carrell, and Helms.

Colbert's the only good one to watch. It seems he inherited the fun fake news premise of the old Daily Show (as well as the good writers). Doesn't hurt that Stephen's a machine at delivery. The only bad part about him are the interviews. He tends to get worked up in his character that he talks over his guest or pulls a joke that his guest doesn't get.

16. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Er, I think you're missing the point.

17. Dei

Dei Member

What?

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'd say late night talk shows are irrelevant regardless of the host is. I don't know any young people that watch them.

I only occasionally see an episode but the two Jimmys are clearly the best rit now on network tv. I don't catch Conan much anymore but I used to love him. Daily show has been worthless for a while now

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Ferguson >>Conan>>Kimmel>>Jimmy

I had never seen an episode of Craig Ferguson till about a month ago. Love his show. Conan has some pretty damn good skits.

1 person likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Conan is still the same from long ago... which is the problem.

I feel for Jon Stewart. He's taken the mantle of political counterweight because corporate news is too chicken**** to appear partisan and now they pretend to report both sides even handedly. There really is no one else who has caught that flame on the cable/network medium that appeals to the 18-34 crowd.

I used to watch and listen Colbert 24/7 but like all the other three, I had great laughs then moved on. I think it's because it's not the kind of laughter I want. Though I'm a weirdo who often spends time trying to think seriously for some topics (though getting more and more rare) at the D&D.