1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer Upgrade Help! (Birthday Style)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DrewP, Nov 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Alright computer junkies, I need your help. My birthday is fast approaching and basically all I want is to upgrade my computer in some areas. Its a pretty big piece of trash E-machine ( 533mhz Intel Celeron 256MB RAM upgrade 128kb L2cache, 15Gb Hard drive, 8x DVDrom drive and a ****ty graphics card......
    And I want to do the following in this order:
    1)Get a better processor, i dont even know what to do here
    2)Get a 60-100 GB Hard Drive
    3)Get a Cd Burner/re-write/write
    4)Get a good graphics card.

Now what i need to know is, Is there some specific product(s) I need to use with my system, and what brand/products do you recommend I use to fill my wish list above..... Much appreciation for anyone who helps me out :)

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I wouldn't put alot of money into an E machine...
    just upgrade to a new PC with the options you want...

rH

3. DrewP

upgrade to a new pc??? I cant afford a new computer, and why should i not upgrade an e-machine?

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

what's your budget?

5. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Listen to RockHead Drew,

To get a better processor PIII/PIV and to take advantage of the new hard drive transfer rates and pc-133 sdram you will have to buy a new motherboard. You are looking at 200-300$ just to upgrade the processor if you ask me.

What is your budget?

There are some decent ebay machines. I would buy from a known pc maker though if you can.

Ebay PC

#5 Sonny, Nov 3, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2001
  6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I hope your keyboard has "protection"!

7. DrewP

My budget right now is about $400. If I wait til Christmas there will be about $300 more. The irony of this all is that in the middle of writing this reply my computer decided to freeze up for no particular reason. I hate this damn computer, but I don't know what I should do. Suggestions...........

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Your best bet would be to buy a barebones system and add the main components you want.

9. unt2003

unt2003 Member

if i were you i would wait until christmas, that way you would have more money and also could prob find very good deals at the time of year. Also, i would take a look at Fry's Superstore which has good computer parts at very good prices.

Good luck on the upgrade

10. outlaw

outlaw Member

Dell is selling a $599 pre-built machine called SmartStep. It's a 1Ghz celeron machine with 128M RAM and 20G HD. You should be able to add your old RAM and HD to this.

comes with Only a 15 inch CRT monitor but the design looks pretty cool

[​IMG]

If you build it yourself you can get a much better system for $599 but if you're not comfortable doing that this isn't a bad alternative.

or you can sell your old PC for $200 and add that to your budget and get a Dell Dimension 4300 with a Pentium 4 1.6Ghz with 40G HD for $899
    [​IMG]

#10 outlaw, Nov 4, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2001