1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer help - good deal or no?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck88, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I'm about to buy a computer for $475. Here's the deal....

Pentium 4
    2.4 gig mhz
    40 gig HD
    256 ram DDR
    cd burn / dvd combo
    XP installed
    Keyboard & mouse (no monitor)

I know very little abotu computers...is this a good deal? The guy built some computers for my uncles insurance company and said he'd give me the same deal. What do youg guys think for $475?

2. Perrin

Perrin Member

not too bad of a deal

you could get it for about $75-$100 less online

3. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Seems ok...is all the stuff new? Sounds like you might be getting a good deal if so...

4. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure it's new stuff. Question - is this a "good" computer? I mean does it have enough memory to play games without having it take two hours to load? Will it process internet info quickly? Bascially is it worth my money or should I spend a bit more for better equipment?

5. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

You might want to throw in a good video card for gaming, I'm sure someone here can give you a good suggestion...

6. Perrin

Perrin Member

bump the RAM to 512MB and double the HD capacity at least

7. Perrin

Perrin Member

exactly

if you want to play some serious games, you will need to invest in a serious video card

you can get the latest and greatest cards online at least $100 less than you can find them in a store.

www.pricewatch.com
    www.nextag.com

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

this really depends on your internet connection, if you only have dial up, it will never be REAL fast, if you want a fast connection, a cable modem or DSL is the answer for a way to "process internet info quickly"

9. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Depends on what you want to do with this computer, for normal use it's really good. But if you wants to use it to play high-end games, you might want to spend 50 bucks on getting a new video card. But over all it's a pretty good deal.