1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comprehensive Free Agent List

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 14, 2004.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Amazing. All five were once Rockets, albeit the Przz only momentarily. For that matter, I'd still rather have Jason Collier (also an unrestricted FA) over Przybilla.:)

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My rule of thumb is never take a Jazz player. This is not a Jazz-hatred-run-amok issue either. Honestly, Sloan gets more out of less better than any coach in the league. So, everyone that looks competent on the Jazz squad does not live up to expectations on other teams. For examples, see Eisley, S. Anderson, Russell, etc. I'm talking role players here, not Karl Malone. So, Arroyo looks good there, but I won't expect him to keep it up elsewhere.

I expect a couple pickups on the FA market this summer, but I really expect our biggest trouble (PF) will be addressed by trade, not free agency. So, when it comes to power forwards, I get the feeling we should be talking about guys under contract.

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I would LOVE to get Damon Jones.

He is one of the most efficient point guards per minute in the entire league. He knows his roll, doesn't cause problems, has a high assist to turnover ratio, and can run an offense. He can also hit from the outside if necessary.

Oh yeah, he's also from Houston.

This is a no brainer in my opinion. Get it done!

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I agree 110%, Jazz free agents have pretty much all been busts. Kirilenko is the only guy on their team who I know could be successful anywhere. The rest aren't worth the risk IMO.

5. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

How much we should offer to Arroyo. He is restricted agent and we almost have to over pay him to get him.

6. paxil

One exception is Donyell Marshall. He did not drop his stats while he was in Toronto.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

True, but he was had some semblance of being a "player" before he went to Utah as well as the college resume, though an awful shooter...it's the unheralded guys that come out of nowhere to flourish in the Sloan system that bust.

8. paxil

Good point.

Donyell have great shooting percentage. Yes, his three point and jumper are not reliablable.

On the other hand, this observation translates to Jazz managemnt did a good job. One common thing of all those players are they are not super atheletic, but flourish in team basketball.

The only good player Jazz let go is Troy Hudson. Jazz had a few 10 day contracts with him. But Troy is not a team player thus will not fit with Jazz.

Maybe what Rockets need is Jerry Solan (though I hate him).

However, of the three Jazz point guards, Arroy, Lopez and Mo are much better than Mike Wilks. They will not let Lopez go but we can only get Arroy for a high price. I think anything less than a 3 year contact of a total of 7 mil, Jazz will match the offer.

9. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

Top 5 Forwards on my list...The 1st three would put the rockets into the Western Conference finals (at the very least)...
    1) KMart
    2) Rasheed
    3) Stromile Swift
    4) Etan Thomas
    5) Mehmet Okur or Robert Horry

Top 4 Guards on my list..
    1) Carlos Arroyo
    2) Brent Barry
    3) Damon Jones
    4) Charlie Ward

10. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

I haven't posted in a while, but I had to when I heard everyone raving about Damon Jones. I like him and he's a great player, but a lot of people forget the Rockets actually had Damon Jones in the 2001-2002 pre-season.

- Junkyard Dog

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

See 8 or 9 posts back.;)

12. Marylandterps

Marylandterps Member

13. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

That's a horrible suggestion!! :) What we need is to get Ehlo down here to take Cynthia's job with Worrell next year on TV (Sorry, has that not leaked out yet??). Let Bullard take any job she may get on the radio, get Bill Fitch to become the GM, let Ralph work with Yao, see if Allen Leavell has any point guard left in him (He is still younger than Mark J, right??) and bring in Pippen so we can hit him when we don't perform well.

Now, that's how ya build a foundation (Capella plays in the background...."ALL RIGHT HOUSTON....ON YOUR FEET!!!!)

Haven't heard anything about McGrady yet but will soon....

14. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Stanislav Medvedenko
    Adonal Foyle
    Eric Williams
    Brent Barry

*Steve Smith

If would could miracously pull off the TMac coup this is what I'd like to see our lineup like.

Yao Ming/Adonal Foyle
    Maurice Taylor/Stanislav Medvedenko/Clarence Weatherspoon
    Jim Jackson/ Boki/Steve Smith
    Tmac/Eric Williams
    Brent Barry/Charlie Ward

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Stromile Swift is intriguing to me - one woudl think with more time he could have more of a healthy Marcus Camby / less athletic Amare Stoudamire impact. He played horrible in the playoffs, though. Still, seems like he owuld have just the athleticism needed next to Yao. KMart, certainly would be perfect.

I don't know how Carlos Arroyo tops the list over Brent Barry - maybe age is a factor, but we don't need to get any younger. Barry does everythign Arroyo does, but a little better and is a littel bigger while doing it. Plus, as discussed already, Arroyo seems like the perfect Jazz system player that wouldn't flourish as well outside of it.

16. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting point coffee man. On the other hand JVG is certainly a "team first" coach. He gets more defense out of less better than any other coach in the league.

Sloan players may not be as good as they appeared, but they will be well trained, and willing to fill a role.

Look at the last Sloan player we got. John Ameche knew his role was on the bench, and never said pea turkey (whatever that is).

17. twoface723

twoface723 Member

How about the Rockets pick up Kobe via trade. He is more talented then T-Mac is.

18. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

haha.. yah.. simple as that.. lets just pick him up:rolleyes:

19. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

UNRESTRICTED
    Rafer Alston, Heat

Stacey Augmon, Hornets

Vin Baker, Knicks
    Brent Barry, Sonics

Calbert Cheaney, Warriors
    Keon Clark, Suns

Michael Doleac, Nuggets
    Adonal Foyle, Warriors

Tom Gugliotta, Jazz
    Darvin Ham, Pistons

Lindsey Hunter, Pistons
    Steven Hunter, Magic
    Mark Jackson, Rockets ;)
    Mike James, Pistons

Damon Jones, Bucks
    Brevin Knight, Bucks ( if he can still playing )
    Toni Kukoc, Bucks

Tony Massenburg, Kings

Antonio McDyess, Suns

Lee Nailon, Cavaliers

Scott Padgett, Rockets
    Wesley Person, Hawks

John Wallace, Heat
    Rasheed Wallace, Pistons
    Rodney White, Nuggets

Eric Williams, Cavaliers
    Scott Williams, Mavericks

Wang Zhi Zhi, Heat {to make a backcourt of asian fevers :) }

EARLY TERMINATION
    (player can terminate the remainder of his contract which has one or more seasons remaining)

Penny Hardaway, Knicks ( he still got the hot hand ) ;)

Nick Van Exel, Warriors

20. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

GATER is like the oracle... he knows everything... ;)