1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comparing Yao to Duncan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil, Jun 14, 2003.

Tags:
  1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Wow, I guess bold font really make people's great thoughts loud and clear. Let me give a try.

Yao Ming is Chinese!!! Killing is bad!!! Having dinner is legal(OMG)!!! George Bush is from Texas!!! Yesterday was father's day!!! Water has no colors!!! Bill Gates has money!!! Michael Jordan is better than Eddie Griffin!!! Holy crap, Sammy Sosa plays baseball!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I have to admit. That was kind of funny...;)

3. DeAleck

Slinslin, you are totally wrong. How can you just use the word Amare when you compare Duncan to Stoudamire???? You have to use the word, "his Majesty, the Great Amare Stoudamire", and you have to wash your mouth seven times before that sound can come out. Comparing Duncan to his Majesty, the Great Amare Stoudamire???? That's pure blasphemy! His Majesty, the Great Amare Stoudamire is about 100,000,000 times better than Duncan.

No one can be compared against his Majesty, the Great Amare Stoudamire. I think your post two months ago on your home ESPN Pheonix Suns Forum comparing Jake Tsakalidis and Tim Duncan is much more sound. If I remember it right, you made a very valid point that although big Jake is not as good in rebounding, he is much more a intimidation factor in defense and changing shots. That's brilliant! And your fellow Suns fans responded with such intelligence that's unmatched here in Clutchcity. Oh, your "Joe Johnson better than Kobe" thread there wasn't bad either. Good job! :) Only if you can stop comparing NBA players to his Majesty, the Great Amare Stoudamire, you will be one of the best Suns fans out there.

4. DeAleck

Oh, I have also been wondering how come there are only on average two people come to your ESPN Suns Forum(which is the holiest site on the Earth by all means) every months??? Last month was you and Shawn Bradley, the month before that was you and Greg Ostertag. I don't understand why the best site doesn't have many people go there? Here in Clutchcity, which is way inferior site for a way inferior team, has about 1 million hits per month. Maybe Suns forums are too sacred to visit. You have to reach the level of Ostertag and Bradley to be there.

5. fanwq

fanwq Member

I think Yao will be better than TD in th coming season.
    Remember last season Rox vs S/T? Game 1 Yao learned something, game 2,he beat TD n D.R,don't forget that's Yao's rooki season,he competed with TD n DR in the same position.
    Now DR will retie ,Yao can totally defeat TD without help from DR.
    Because both are decent center,but,
    height:Yao>TD,
    weight:Yao>TD,
    strength:Yao>TD
    pass:Yao>TD
    mobility:=
    shooting method: Yao>TD
    Block:same(maybe you will say TD give many blcs in finals,but don't forget Nets players want to shoot or even dunk in front of him because they think he is not tall enough,can they dare to try shoot in front of Yao?The blc statistic why Yao is lower,because less blc opportunities)
    only in NBA experience TD>Yao,but Yao can make up with his international experience

6. fanwq

fanwq Member

Furthermore,Yao is smarter than TD.Generally,a smart person is not humours,but a humours person must be smarter. At the same time, Yao is full of enthusiasm when he is on court, TD is dull.
    All above are why many people like Yao.

7. fanwq

fanwq Member

Furthermore,Yao is smarter than TD.Generally,a smart person is not certain humours,but a humours person must be smarter. At the same time, Yao is full of enthusiasm when he is on court, TD is dull.
    All above are why many people like Yao.

8. DeAleck

OK, fanwq, I like your enthusiasm if it's sincere, but you sound much more like a Suns of Biotch fan and pretending to be a Rockets fan just uselessly trying to make us look bad, like Slinslin. If that's the case, just stop, or someone will pour sarcastic mocks on you.

If that's what you are looking for, enjoy!

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I don't how this thread even has as many responses. Lets get it straight:

Duncan is the most skilled post man since Hakeem. You have to guard him everywhere on the court. He has a basic, yet effective post game, a very good rebounder and defender and a willing passer. His only flaw is a sometimes erratic ft shot. If Duncan was the athelete Rasheed Wallace was, he would be one of the most dominant players ever, like Hakeem.

Ming is a very skilled player with great size and great feel for the game. He has many skills including passing ,shooting, and rebounding and is going to get better. Is a ok athelete but not a great athelete. Will get better and make his mark on the league with his size:skill ratio.

Comapring Ming to Duncan, the only comparison you can use is that neither player rely on atheleticism , but more on skill. A 30 yrs old Davis Robinson was a better athelete than Duncan at 22, but that doesn't mean Duncan isn't dominant. This new guy Pavel is said to be a better athelet despite being just as big as ming, but he doesn't have the skill ro feel like Ming. If it was all about hops and stuff, Duncan and Ming couldn't compare to the Amare's,Garnett,Wallace,O'neal and even guys like Dirk and Kandi are better atheletes. The difference is they combine their use of great skill and fee for the game to make up for that. Ming can be as good as Duncan or better if he chooses, but thats all relative and throws the fact in the face of the critics about the finsihed product of senior college players. Duncan may already be complete, but whats wrong with that?

10. DeAleck

Now you know why this thread has so many response?

11. Sane

Sane Member

I don't think anyone in this thread has argues that Ming is close to Duncan, leebigez.

What we're doing, is comparing some stuff that Yao does with some stuff that Duncan does.

Yao's offense is very similar. They're post moves are similar. Duncasn is a better athlete, but Yao is taller. I think Yao is a creative passer, but Duncan is more of a fundamental, reading-the-double-team type of passer.

But when Yao posts up on the left or right side, faces his man up, and hits one of the backcoard, that's classic Duncan. But can Duncan emulate Hakeem moves? No. However, Yao has faked people out of their shoes SEVERAL times (hello J O'Neal).

They are slightly similar, and Yao's potential is high enough for him to reach Tim Duncan status. However, will he reach that potential? Will he start to become more explosive or more fundamental?

Right now, we're looking for hints fo Duncan in Yao's game, and it's interesting to see that Duncan, who is not that much more athletic than Yao, can dominate with basic fundamental skills and smarts.

12. DavidS

If Yao improves his jumping ability, power, endurance and strength, I do believe that Yao can be more dominating than TD.

Dominating in terms of just a natural advantage.

His height. I mean we already know that Yao and TD have great skills. Mesh that skill with 7'5"! Yikes!

But Yao has to get stronger!

No more pushover Yao!

13. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i agree with DavidS. with yao gettin stronger and if he learns alot of low post moves, he'll be the most dominating force downlow. he showed some flashes last season, he dominated a game against the twin towers of SA and completely made shaq earn his shots. plus, if im right, i think it was tim duncan who said that yao has that fade away shot that no matter you have your hand on his face, he will still hit the shot and its close to impossible to block.. and that came from a man who had 8 block shots on game 6.

14. Franchise4Life

I hope youre not serious. Yao is not stronger, or as Mobile, and doesnt have a better shot, and is a much better shot blocker(NBA Finals record) better defender. Come on man stop the pipe dreams, Duncan is on another planet than Yao right now and we would be REALLY lucky as Rockets fans that Yao gets close to that level. Just pray like I said before.

15. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

I like your explanation of Yao's getting less blocks than Duncan.

By the way, Why Yao got less rebounds? Same reason. Our opponents dare not shoot due to Yao's intimidation. How could we get enough rebounds if they didn't shoot enough?

16. Franchise4Life

You make some very valid points. One of things that makes Duncan soo good is that he is stronger than most people give him credit for, quicker than most people give him credit for, and he has a fire that Yao does not have. He is more skilled than Yao with his back to the basket, he is more aggresive and assertive, and I am just comparing them when they were both 22.

I LOVE YAO MING. I want him to be the best center ever. But he doesnt show me the fire and dominance that Duncan showed at the same age. My next statement is about to cause quite a stir in this forum.

"Tim Duncan is on Hakeem's level" Why might you ask? Because he can lead a team with 4 good/average players to the title. In my opinion the Spurs faced stiffer competition than the Rockets did back then as well. Duncan guards every PF in the league better than everyone else, nobody in the league has a prayer to defend him or as Bill Walton said "In History can defend him", he can handle the ball so well he brings it up the court and leads fast breaks. He doesnt turn it over and he is an absolutely fantastic team mate. Everyone on that team is 10 times better than they would be on another team. AND HES FREAKING 26. Hes an absolute freak for his age in terms of dominance. And yes hes not the 'athlete' that some other players are in terms of jumping ability and quickness(Though for a PF he is very quick and his footwork makes it impossible to stay in front of him) that is what makes him that much more scary doesnt it? He has the game that he can dominate for the next 8-9 years without missing a beat, because he doesnt rely on his athletic ability to dominate.

Now is he better than Hakeem? I would say no...but its very close. Duncan has 2 titles and is an era where the West has some fantastic teams. The Kings and Lakers, along with Dallas would gave the Rockets of 1994 a run for their money. That said would the Spurs of won the title if Webber wasnt hurt? Would they win if the Lakers were 100%? Nobody knows. But thats the same as asking would the Rockets of won any titles had Jordan not retired? Nobody knows. But what I do know is that if Duncan dominates at this clip for the next 8-9 years and retires with 2 more titles he will go down as a better player than Hakeem all time, and most likely deservedly so.

Now back to this thread, I have said this many times I want Yao to bring that to the table for the Rockets. He has a lot of tools to go along with the height, but he has much more work to do on his game and his body, and most importantly his 'mentality' to become that type of player than Tim Duncan had at 22. I will never say its impossible, I will never say it cant happen, because it can and I believe in Yao. But to say he will ever get to Duncan's level is definitely asking too much of him. Hes got talent but Duncan is one of the most dominating players ever in my opinion and hes young. Like I said before Rockets fans, join me in praying it will happen.

17. DavidS

I have no problem with what you said.

I think it's important to stress what you said...

"He's (Duncan) FREAKING 26!"

We've only the seen the beginning. The good news is that Shaq's on the way out. Seems as though as 34 is the breaking point. Shaq's got a few more years.

#77 DavidS, Jun 17, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  18. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Uh... not quite. I know a lot of funny dumbasses. So saying they "MUST" be smarter is a wee bit of an overstatement. Wit doesn't imply intelligence. A stereotype like that could get you into a lotta trouble. Also, I can't help but feel that a lotta people at least subconciously think Yao is smarter because he's Chinese... Flame me if you like (but there's probably no need because I'm sure this has been mentioned several times before on this and other threads), but I know that thought has crept into so many minds here whether they'll admit it or not. I really don't think he has as phenomenal of a bkb IQ as so many people here think. Hell, he never even went to college either, Duncan graduated.

Anyways, as for the topic at hand. At least Yao took it to Duncan in their very first game of the regular season. That means something, right? :D

#78 RocketGuy3, Jun 17, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  19. dwang8

dwang8 Member

One thing I notice is Yao Ming is quite a clutch player when it really counts. I remember in Duncan's early years even last year in the playoffs he would always choke in the fourth quarter or with a lead when the game was on the line, especially his tendency to miss free throws in clutch situations. I agree Duncan dominated Kenyon Martin, and Raef Lafrentz and the like (not very strong or tall or great inside players) this year, but before you start calling him the greatest player ever let's see how he does next year against a healthy Shaq, Webber, Nowitzki, and improved Amare and Yao.

20. dwang8

dwang8 Member

"Furthermore,Yao is smarter than TD.Generally,a smart person is not humours,but a humours person must be smarter. At the same time, Yao is full of enthusiasm when he is on court, TD is dull.
    All above are why many people like Yao. "

I think we shouldn't be too sensitive to what this guy said. He is pointing out the Tim Duncan is dull, which he is, multiple writers on ESPN also Jim Rome have attributed the lack of ratings due to a lack of personality in this year's finals. Is dullness and lack of expression a sign of mental stupidity? Not necessarily, however that connection maybe attached to our negative impressions about the mentally retarted or people who aren't generally vey sharp. I don't think he was referring to race though, what he meant I suppose was say you compare Kobe Bryant to Tim Duncan. One guy is always smiling, and has lots of facial expressions which make him seem more interesting and in a sense witty. My opinion is that although Tim Duncan is rather Dull, he seems to be a very smart player on the court.