1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comparing Yao to Duncan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil, Jun 14, 2003.

Tags:
  1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i know some scouts said that, but stil i do not know why people say it like it is a fact, scouts have been wrong about players skills. i think he is a good shooter, but just not better than duncan.

2. snowmt

snowmt Member

lol. Now start the Amare bashing thread.
    "Compare Amare to Duncan"
    1. Amare is 10 times more atheletic then Duncan

3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

For the Francis-haters, what about a "Comparing Steve Francis to Magic Johnson"?

and I think the Mobley-haters would love a "Comparing Cuttino to Michael Jordan" thread

:D

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Sun boards compare Amare to Kemp/Barkley/K. Malone.

Not TD.

Amare does have Kemp/Barkley/Malone like skills.

And before anyone flips out, try to remember Kemps game when he was a rookie.

5. DavidS

Well, one of the reason's you don't see "Compare Francis to Magic" threads is because that type of thread is absurd.

Same with the Mobley one.

If you're going to do a comparison at least try to compare the players that had similar styles.

Francis is easily comparable to Kevin Johnson or Isiah Thomas.

Again, I'm not saying that Francis is as good or better than those players. I'm just saying that Francis plays a similar style that those guys did.

P.S. I'm pushing it when I say Isiah. Because Isiah was an incredible passer. Something that Francis is not.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I remember the high light reel dunks Kemp used to due. No big man does stuff like that, he dunked like a guard. Rain man was da bomb. Then he decided to bigger, stronger to bang with other bigman such as malone and Charles, but only end up faster, slower, and no leap at all. One of the reasons I don't think Yao needs to get bigger, just more toned.

7. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Well, i am not saying they have similar games. I just think the haters would love to start a thread like that for bashing's sake.

8. DavidS

True. I like to say that the BEST IN GAME DUNKERS were Dominique Wilkins and Shawn Kemp, in that order. Jordan and Darryl Dawkins would be next.

They had the best combination of size, leaping ablity, quickness, power to dunk on anyone.

Dominique wasn't as spectacular in dunk contests as Jordan or Webb, but he was a better IN GAME dunker. Carter is not the best IN GAME dunker. I'm sorry. He might have been spectacular. But never had that perfect combination of height, air, hand size, body size that Dominique had.

Dominique would DUNK on SHAQ without apology! :eek:

He's probably the only one that could dunk on Shaq.

#48 DavidS, Jun 15, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2003
  9. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

People say Yao is a better shooter because Duncan shoots like a 6 year old girl from 15+ feet out. His shot is pretty flat and ugly, but he does get a decent percentage on it.

10. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

Coming into last year Yao Ming was projected to be BUST. Everyone has doubted him left and right. The guy has GAME. Unless u think he's been a big dissapointment so far. So, lets give the scouts who scouted Yao some props. They havent been wrong about him yet.

Is Yao a better shooter than Duncan? No not yet. But I think Yao has the potential to be a better shooter though. Just because he's 7'5 and can shoot just about over anyone in the league.
    We forget that Yao Ming is only a rookie. Give the guy some more time to establish himself offensively.

11. rvpals

rvpals Member

In my university, Psychology & Economy is the easiest major to get a degree fast. Psychology is even easier but it's useless unless you go further to grad school & pursuit at least a master, at most cases, psychology student will go for a Psy D. (Doctoral degree).

From my personal experience, math & computer science & physics are probably the hardest majors. I get all As in my psychology classes without even bother to go to class, I just study hard for 3 hours straight before the exam. Physics are probably too boring to learn, but I still do A work comes exam time. Depends on the professor, Math could be a easy A if you do well in exam or more than half of the class failed miserably in the exam, and math professor ends up have to give everyone a C to pass the class.

12. Franchise4Life

I love Yao. But Duncan was better than Yao at the same age. Was better as a rookie. And dominated in his 2nd season. Yao has a HELL of amount of work to do, just to get to that level.

BTW, People must sleep on Duncans passing. The guy is insane right now. We can only pray Yao gets as dominating as Duncan. I am praying every night for it :)

13. Franchise4Life

From my personal experience, math & computer science & physics are probably the hardest majors. I get all As in my psychology classes without even bother to go to class, I just study hard for 3 hours straight before the exam. Physics are probably too boring to learn, but I still do A work comes exam time. Depends on the professor, Math could be a easy A if you do well in exam or more than half of the class failed miserably in the exam, and math professor ends up have to give everyone a C to pass the class. [/B][/QUOTE]

Who really gives a sh@t about Tim Duncans degree? LOL. Kobe Bryant doesnt have a college degree and he is most likely the smartest player in the league. Its all about knowing the game, studying the game, and understanding what to do in different game situations.

And who really cares about what college degree's are easiest? :)

14. DavidS

That's not the point. We're trying to establish that TD was good student, and that has overflowed onto his basketball game as well.

It's his work ethic, as well as his disposition.

15. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

Believe it or not, Psychology is a hot major in some top schools.
    It's not the case as you claimed that it's useless and most of students go to grad schools.

I believe Wake Forest is private, so possibly, it's more difficult to get high grades. I know there are a lot of smart students in public schools, but the average students in private schools tend to be better than their counterparts in public ones.

If Yao gets the chance to go to college, I am sure he will also do well.

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i never doubted Yao. like i said he is a good shooter.the only thing i didn't understand was why some people kept saying Yao IS a better shooter then duncan is like it is a fact. i think we agree, i also think he CAN be a better shooter than duncan is, but he isn't yet, and we were compairing Duncan to the Yao today, not the Yao in the future. like you i think Yao will develop into a superstar, but he isn't yet, he was a great rookie. but he isn't near as good as duncan is now. or as duncan was in his rookie year. i think Yao will be great, we just have to see.

17. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

We say that Yao is a better shooter than Duncan because Duncan is not a good shooter. He only makes a high percentage of his 10 ft bank shots and layups/dunks.

If you watch Chris Webber and (particularly) Karl Malone, you will see how a PF who has a good shot operates. They bury open shots from 15 feet out.

Duncan knows this, so he restricts himself to taking high percentage shots that he knows he can make. As I said before, he is a very efficient, very smart player.

18. Sane

Sane Member

If you're a good shooter, basically it means you have better range. I think we're pretty sure Duncan doesn't have better range than Yao. Yao can hit the NBA 3.

19. SteadyBallin

SteadyBallin Member

Tim Ducan=2 MVP AWARDS AND 2 NBA TITLES.........Yao Ming= A lot of work and alot of time to get it done..............Yao Will be a dominate force in the league and Houston and San Antonio will have quite a eivalry in the coming years

20. SteadyBallin

SteadyBallin Member

Tim Ducan=2 MVP AWARDS AND 2 NBA TITLES.........Yao Ming= A lot of work and alot of time to get it done..............Yao Will be a dominate force in the league and Houston and San Antonio will have quite a rivalry in the coming years