1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comparing TMacs previous 2 seasons with Ariza this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by morpheus133, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

No player? Really? Well, just tell all the players to just stop working on their shot in practice. It's completely pointless, they're never going to get better.

Wrong. Everything can be improved, it just takes volume, something which Ariza has never had before. In addition, Rafer is 9 years older than Ariza and was in his late twenties / early thirties here.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Give me examples of players who shot an insane amount of shots during the games and eventually got better. I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'm talking volume, because I think Ariza could do well if he only got 11 to 12 shots a game, not 18 to 19.

3. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Comon man, don't say that. They both sucked at scoring? Ariza is a good role player and we are trying to make him into a player that we want, but we're are not looking at the whole picture. He is a good role player and we should just stick to what he can do, not what we want him to do.

Plus, Tmac has been dealing with injuries. But he is a great scorer. Before all the injuries that hit him, he was our go to guy. He was the guy that scored all the buckets when we had guys like Rafer or J.Howard or even Luther head. Comon man, give it a rest. Tmac just had one bad year.

4. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought you fell outta love with Von DaDa :grin:

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Jason Kidd

6. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Well guess what? Do you know why his minutes are up and why he had to take more shots? Its because he is the only freakin guy on this team during the playoffs that can do something. Man we had to rely on Rafer to score. We needed some scoring help off the bench, and who is our sixth man? Luther head. We had Jon Barry and Mike James during the Dallas series. Ryan Bowen was starting for us. So tell me, wouldn't you rather have Tmac shoot the ball instead of them?

Agaisnt the Jazz, who do we have? Rafer, Tmac, Yao, J.Howard, C.Hayes, Battier, and Luther Head. Was it the 2007 series against the Jazz, game 3. Do you remember how horrid it was to watch that game? Only Yao and Tmac was the one that did anything. Yao though, had 8 turnovers that game. No one scored double digits beside those two. Our bench didn't even scored a point. Not one point from the bench. Other than Tmac and yao, only battier scored double digits and that was 11 points.

Game 7 against the Jazz. Tmac and Yao both scored 29 points. But who was more of a factor? Yao or Tmac? Im guessing you would say Yao. I don't understand why you keep putting Tmac down. That last game against the Jazz, we had a chance ( Tmac had a chance) to advance. He did everything he possibly can. He scored 29 points, and dished out 13 assists with only 2 turnovers. So tell me, what more do you want him to do? Yao? Yes he scored 29 points also but he had 4 turnovers, and since he is our big man standing at 7'5, he grabbed 6 rebounds, compared that to Boozer who he was guarding that grabbed 14 rebounds. Other than that, only Battier did fairly well. And again, our bench that game score a total of 10 points compared to the Jazz bench that put up 17. Not well, but more than us. Their starters raped us. Boozer torch Yao, and Deron destroyed Rafer Alston.

My point is, why is it always Tmac's fault when we don't advance. I really do not understand that. Why do people keep on bashing this guy when he put up everything he can for us to win. Everyone was bashing him when he said it was on me crap. Well it is on him because he knows that no matter how great he is and how bad his team was, he will get the blame. Because most fans don't look at that. Most people don't look at the whole picture. All they see is a lost and its Tmac's fault. That is what they see. That is what TNT, ESPN sees. They believe that Tmac is not great because he can't advance. It fustrates me because they do not look at the whole picture. They don't see that our whole team was full of useless role players and a 7'5 guy that cannot grab the last minute rebound to seal that game. All they see is that the Rockets lost, and Tmac couldn't win for us. That's it. No matter how hard he played or no matter what numbers he put up, he wil get the blamed and a lot of people would said that he is not good enough to play with Yao and that the Rockets should get a new superstar alongside Yao. Well, even though Yao is loyal and hard working, he is not the guy to build around.

Last season when we finally advance, everyone is saying that its Tmac's fault for holding us back...I mean wtf. So I'm guessing that Yao is good enough to win without Tmac? So is it Tmac's fault for holding us back all these years? Or is it that we finally have some great A** role players on this team. I mean last year, we had Aaron Brooks, Kyle Lowry, Carl Landry, Luis Scola, Ron Artest, even Von Wafer (upgraded version of Luther Head). Compare these guys to Rafer, Luther Head, J.Howard. In the first series against Portland, it was not Yao who got us to advance. It was mostly the great plays of Aaron Brooks and Luis Scola. Aaron torched the Blazers and the Blazers didn't know how to hold Scola. Aldridge was having nightmares of Scola. Honestly, if we had a healthy ready to go Tracy Mcgrady, I promise everyone here that the Rockets will be celebrating their 3rd championship.

DaDakota, I don't understand man. Everytime there is something about Tmac on a thread, I don't get why you have to bash on him or say something smart about him everytime. I just don't understand what you have against him? I mean have he done anything to you? I just really disagree on all the bashing you been putting on him. It bothers me that you always have something against him when someone disagree with you whenever you bashes him. I mean you do not have to go search his statistics and his points per shot. I truly think that if you bash him once, that is enough.

I know this is a big post but I really need to let this out. It bothers me too much to keep it in.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Really?

His 3's improved, but it took him around 12 seasons to find a decent shooting stroke, besides that he still has a crappy FG% but he realized that in his career he was not going to score. He never took as many shots as Ariza, his highest being 16 shots and that was early in his career. Hell I don't think he ever took as many 3's as Ariza.

8. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

By the way, you can't compare Ariza to Tmac. Ariza is a good role player and we're trying to make him an all star type player. It just won't work. He is good enough to worth that much but you can guarantee that is the most money he will ever see. Plus, Tmac is a bonified superstar once in his career. Ariza would never reach that plateau.

Just be grateful that we didn't pay a max contract to Rashard Lewis. I rather pay 6 mill a year to Ariza that a max contract to Rashard Lewis any day.

9. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Here's a pretty good one:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=1966

18.9 attempts per game his first year, 41.7% shooting.
    19.8 attempts per game now, 50.7% shooting.

Notice he got better almost immediately after his first year in which he was shooting high volume, not-so-high percentage.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sorry it bothers you, Tmac as a Rocket bothers me.

I guess we can call it even.

DD

11. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I think Von Wafer is a selfish player. He is a decent backup scorer, but he is a selfish player and an individual. After watching the way he played, I lost a lot of respect for him. Sometimes I really think he is playing for the stats, not for the win. There are times when the Rockets are on a 3-1 fast break and Von Wafer has the ball. He can either pass the ball to the left or the right for the easy basket but instead he ignores his other two teammates and take it to the basket and ends up losing the ball or basically turnover. I think he is a selfish player. He is just a decent backup role player that wants to be treated like a star. Even that incident with Rick Adelmen during the playoff shows me he is a selfish player when he didn't want to be subed out of the game. An good example of a good teammate is that they would do whatever it takes to win. Even if that is to sit out and be cheerleaders. A good example is Anthony Johnson, point guard for the magic. He played for most of the playoff and did really good until Nelson came back and he had to sit out and watch. He didn't complain. He even said that it was the hardest part of his career but he knows that he have to be a good teammate and have to do whatever he can to win. He wanted to be a factor in anyway, not a distraction.

So even all the selfish things Wafer did during the season, his offseason move shows his true colors. He played one decent season and expected a big contract. Comon Von, I don't play in the Nba but I do know that in order to get a big fat contract, you have to do well for at least 3 seasons and be consistent enough that Nba teams would want to throw money at you because they know that you're consistent enough to deserve it.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Because at the time of the stats he was not a scoring champ no perennial All-Star.

13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I guess so.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Good example, I would only like to nit-pick at one thing, Lebron was a #1 pick which most of the time they turn into great players (and most great players take a lot of shots).

I don't think Ariza is going to improve with time, especially since he cannot split the double team, he can't dribble through traffic, etc etc. James field goal percentage went up as well because he started driving a lot to the basket. I'm sure if we look at his hot spots throughout the years we could find that his hot spots are in the paint and all around he is less than average or cold. I'm sure it's much harder to find those type of players once we go down to second round picks.

15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

What are your thoughts on the rest of his post? Did he type all of that for nothing? T-Mac gave all he could during those series, etc..what are your thoughts?? God you're annoying, keep on trolling without addressing anything. Sign off with your pretentious "DD" signature like you always do.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - at people calling someone pretentious like you can glean that from a post on a BBS.....SHEESH.

And this is the incorrect THREAD for that conversation but just to appease you....

As for the rest of his post.

I do think Tmac did everything he could, I am not saying he sucks or sucked.

I don't think his dominate the ball style is conducive to winning, or rather I don't think Tmac is good enough to win consistently that way, his need for a volume of shots to put up numbers tells me that he is not efficient enough.

When you have a dominate the ball player that is ALSO efficient, ala Jordan etc...then you can win like that...otherwise, I believe it is fools gold, you win often enough when that player is hot, but he is not HOT ENOUGH....OFTEN ENOUGH to win anything really consequential....

Which is exactly the story of his entire career.

Rather, I think he has run his course here in Houston.

Man, you guys need to look up transference.

DD

#56 DaDakota, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  17. albuster

albuster Member

I guess the point of this thread is to show a comparison between two players who suck at the team game. Otherwise, what is the point of the comparison? Either way, none of these players can ever lead the Rockets to a championship.

18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We all should know that Ariza was never going to lead anyone to the championship. Unrealistic expectations. I still can't believe that many fans are mad at Ariza not being great. I think he is just another valuable piece to the puzzle. Now we just need the all-star swingman to help us out, although maybe we won't need him with the continuing improvement of Brooks and Landry.

19. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

First, you can not compare a MLE player with a max player. Secondly, Ariza shoot the ball well at the first eight games or so, and he becomes bad later on because shoot too many like Rafer, Ron or Tmac. I think the part of the problem is due to the coach or the game plans, Ariza is not a very good shooter, need stop to shoot too many three.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

According to Rick and Daryl, blame them not Ariza.