1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comparing Scola and Yi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abcdef, Nov 7, 2007.

1. RoxD

RoxD Member

No matter which teams they are playing in, their FG% and FT% say all. Most likely you have not seen Scola's FG% and FT% yet. :D

2. scola

scola Member

If you don't get time to find your place in the offense and don't get enough touches to gain confidence, the % will likely be low.

Scola shot 76% from the FT line last season.

Rating a player with only 5 games in the NBA is absurd.

3. BVB09

BVB09 Member

may be Yi is more adapt to NBA at present

4. nancychang

nancychang Member

yap. Yi seems more adapt to the game. or maybe the opponent is Yao. they two just so excited tonight...

5. RoxD

RoxD Member

It is absurd to deny the fact that Scola is not playing to the level of YI at present. As far as the 5-6 NBA games played so far is concerned, Scola < Yi. I am not talking about last season, not about the future. I am talking about NOW and NBA games.

Yi was guarded by T-Mac last night, and Scola was guarded by who?

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Was it Yi? I cann't remember.

7. pirc1

I think Scola will come around and be a good player for the rockets after he adjusts to the NBA, but Yi will be an all star if not a superstar in the NBA.

There is no way the rockets can get Yi, so Yi playing great doesn't bother me, we stole Scola for nothing!

8. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The key for Scola is to stay out of foul trouble if he is to give himself a chance to play more minutes. I am amazed Yi is doing much better in this aspect than Scola, who is supposed to be more savvy given all his experience in the Euro league and WC/Olympics qualification games. I guess the only explanation is that adjusting to rule differences is a lot easier said than done.

9. RoxD

RoxD Member

You are probably right, and Yi guarded Hayes most of the time.

Yi was guarded by T-Mac, an established superstar, and Scola was guarded by a rookie. Yet Yi still stole the show.

I have to admit frankly that Yi's is partly with the help from T-Mac. Yi has had only 1 failed attempt at 3 before, and that might be the reason T-Mac left Yi open for the 3's. If the 2 3's were taken away from Yi's points, he managed only 13 points, roughly the number predicted by Yao before the game.

If T-Mac guarded Yi with the same intensity as he did against Kobe, Yi might not get over 10 points.

10. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

why are people comparing scola to yi? one is a project superstar, and the other draws comparisons to Fabricio Oberto. in other words, Yi has much more potential than Scola, who is at the top of his game right now.

11. pirc1

Actually coming out of the draft, Yi is projected as a big risk big reward project, not a projected superstar.

12. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

No actually most NBA pundits predicted Yi to be a poor man's this, poor man's that. Superstar projections were squarely reserved for Durant and Oden. Stop being a revisionist.

#172 wnes, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Yi is a brave kid! He isn't scared of NBA. He never refused shooting, and isn't afaid of missing.

I think Scola should learn this from Yi. There were very few chance for Scola to shoot the ball in these games. One reason is that his teammates didn't pass the ball to him enough, but another reason is himself. He should be more brave to shoot the ball. If he didn't shoot when he had chance for several times, his teammates will forget to pass the ball to him. In addition, his defense is too active; specailly for his fouls. I think he should reduce his defense intensity, and keep himself stay on the court for longer time.

14. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Yi was projected to have star potential

15. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

"Star potential" is far cry from "superstar" as you originally put it, dude.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Scola would get more playing time if he wasn't a human foul machine.

17. Man-Dingo

Man-Dingo Member

sorry to be the one to say this buddy but you were wrong

18. apollo

apollo Member

Luis Scola was NEVER The Euroleague MVP. Where does this keep coming from? I repeat he was NEVER the Euroleague MVP. He was the 2 time SPANISH MVP. Being the MVP of Spain is a big difference from being the MVP of Europe. Luis Scola was NEVER the best player in Europe. Why does it keep being said he was when he was not.

He was NEVER Euroleague regular season MVP. He was NEVER Euroleague Final Four MVP. NEVER.

If you don't believe it here's the ACTUAL list of EUROLEAGUE: MVP's since Luis Scola joined the Euroleague in the 2000-2001 season with TAU Ceramica.

Euroleague Regular Season MVP 2000-2001

Dejan Bodiroga

Euroleague 2001 Final Four MVP

Manu Ginobili

Euroleague Regular Season 2001-2002 MVP

Dejan Bodiroga

Euroleague 2002 Final Four MVP

Dejan Bodiroga

Euroleague Regular Season 2002-2003 MVP

Mirsad Turkan

Euroleague 2003 Final Four MVP

Dejan Bodiroga

Euroleague Regular Season 2003-2004 MVP

Arvydas Sabonis

Euroleague 2004 Final Four MVP

Anthony Parker

Euroleague Regular Season 2004-2005 MVP

Anthony Parker

Euroleague 2005 Final Four MVP

Sarunas Jasikevicius

Euroleague Regular Season 2005-2006 MVP

Anthony Parker

Euroleague 2006 Final Four MVP

Theodoros Papaloukas

Euroleague Regular Season 2006-2007 MVP

Theodoros Papaloukas

Euroleague 2007 Final Four MVP

Dimitris Diamantidis

OK I don't know where the hell The Chronicle writers and the Rockets announcers get their "facts" but they obviously do NOT get them from actual sources and are rather just saying something that makes Scola appear more accomplished than he really is. Because the FACT is he NEVER won a Euroleague MVP in the regular season, nor in the championship. He was a 2 time MVP of Spain domestically, not of Europe continentally. As you can see nowhere does the name Luis Scola appear on any MVP of Euroleague list since he entered the Euroleague.

19. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

star, superstar, whatever. point is, Yi was predicted to have far more upside than Scola, so comparing Scola to Yi is unfair to Scola.

20. ymc

ymc Member

While Scola was never a Euroleague MVP, he was on the Euroleague First Team for the last two seasons (05-06,06-07). So he is supposedly the best PF in Europe. His performance thus far is therefore below par.