1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comparing Scola and Yi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abcdef, Nov 7, 2007.

1. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Hi Van Gundier, I need your help here:

The link you provided shows Yi's numbers as follows:

Code:
           |-PRODUCTION-| |-ON/OFF COURT-|
       MIN OWN  OPP   NET  ON   OFF  NET   R.R.
    Yi 51% 12.1 20.8 -8.7 +0.6 -11.7 +12.3 -2.7 
    Yi's opponents production seemed to be very good from the table, but from what I got in his past 4 games,

Turkoglu: 24pts 8/15 FGM/A
    Gerald Wallace: 22pts 10/16 FGM/A (not sure if Yi was guarding him)
    Tyrus Thomas: 2pts 1/7 FGM/A
    Chris Bosh: 1pt 0/4 FGM/A + Bargnani: 5pts 2/3 FGM/A

He definitely didn't guard well in his first 2 games but his defence was outstanding against Chicago and Raptors.

Do you know how they compute those figures under "PRODUCTION" columns?

2. darkheaven

darkheaven New Member

The difference which case the different performance is the different opponent

3. YOF01

YOF01 Member

Chinaman? If you are really Chinese, stop calling yourself Chinaman. If you are not Chinese, you are in trouble. :rolleyes:

4. DaveyM

DaveyM Member

I am hearing 250,000,000 will be tuning in.

5. xianwind

xianwind New Member

Players from six continents will play together

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

scola's not starting...can chuck guard yi??

i think that scola is a post player, can get to the basket easily, wheras yi likes to take jump shots...

im a rockets fan

but im gonna have to pick yi over scola, because yi can get it done, wheras luis scola is more of a quiet player...

7. SmitingPurpleEm

Wow, what a performance by Yi. I am fully on his bandwagon now. He is justifying the PT he gets by his performance. I didn't even know he had Dirk range, but apparently he does. Dirk was not this good his first season. When he puts on some weight so he can post up and finish inside... look out. In two years he will punish McGrady in the low post if they try that matchup again. He has a bright future, I know that for sure. He's even a good shotblocker, which the rest of the Bucks are not.

Scola, unfortunately, continues to look lost. :(

8. RoxD

RoxD Member

Scola who? :D

9. hust

hust Member

Scola still need some time to find himself in a great team,which have 2 superstars.

10. pongd

pongd Member

i think yi just stepped up for the viewers..

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, CV is better that Yi is in the line up eating up his lunch. CV is better that Bucks fans calling for trading him because of Yi.

Watch how Yi defends and how CV defends,then we talk about it, ok? :confused:

12. bobododo

bobododo Member

this has turn into a Yi support thread. :rolleyes: NBA DISH!!

13. RoxD

RoxD Member

I simply do not agree with the view that "if scola is in bucks right now, he could have 15 and 10 in YI's minutes."

IMHO, Scola is lucky to be with the Rockets, which has a starting PF in Hayes, and Scola can log 18 minutes per game so far. If he was with the Bucks now, he may not even get half of that PT, with CV and Yi there.

Yi has made great progresses. In his debut , he was kicked out with 6 PF; and today he got 0 PF. In the first two games, he was not even a force; in recent 3 games, he gets 10+ points in each game.

I can see Scola has the potential to become a great player, but his current performance reminds me that he is just an ordinary rookie.

14. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Bad comparison!

Yi was the 6th pick (of the first round)
    Scola was the 55th pick, near the bottom of the second round.

See the 2nd round pick of 2002 below. Recognize anyone?

29 Steve Logan (PG) United States Golden State Warriors Cincinnati
    30 Roger Mason, Jr. (SG) United States Chicago Bulls Virginia
    31 Robert Archibald (PF) Scotland Memphis Grizzlies Illinois
    32 Vincent Yarbrough (SF) United States Denver Nuggets Tennessee
    33 Dan Gadzuric (C) Netherlands Milwaukee Bucks (from Houston) UCLA
    34 Carlos Boozer (PF) United States Cleveland Cavaliers Duke
    35 Miloš Vujanić (PG) Yugoslavia New York Knicks Partizan Belgrade (Sinalco Superleague and Adriatic League)
    36 David Andersen (C) Australia Atlanta Hawks Virtus Bologna (Italy)
    37 Tito Maddox (PG) United States Houston Rockets (from Miami) Fresno State
    38 Rod Grizzard (SG) United States Washington Wizards (from Phoenix via Denver) Alabama
    39 Juan Carlos Navarro (PG) Spain Washington Wizards FC Barcelona (Spain)
    40 Mario Kasun (C) Croatia Los Angeles Clippers Opel Skyliners (Germany)
    41 Ronald Murray (SG) United States Milwaukee Bucks Shaw
    42 Jason Jennings (C) United States Portland Trail Blazers (from Toronto via Chicago) Arkansas State
    43 Lonny Baxter (PF) United States Chicago Bulls (from Indiana) Maryland
    44 Sam Clancy (PF) United States Philadelphia 76ers USC
    45 Matt Barnes (SF) United States Memphis Grizzlies (from Orlando) UCLA
    46 Jamal Sampson (C) United States Utah Jazz (traded to Orlando) California
    47 Chris Owens (PF) United States Milwaukee Bucks (from New Orleans, traded to Memphis) Texas
    48 Peter Fehse (PF) Germany Seattle SuperSonics SV Halle (Germany)
    49 Darius Songaila (PF) Lithuania Boston Celtics Wake Forest
    50 Federico Kammerichs (SF) Argentina Portland Trail Blazers CD Ourense (Spain)
    51 Marcus Taylor (PG) United States Minnesota Timberwolves Michigan State
    52 Rasual Butler (SF) United States Miami Heat (from Detroit via Toronto and Houston) La Salle
    53 Tamar Slay (SG) United States New Jersey Nets Marshall
    54 Mladen Šekularac (SG) Yugoslavia Dallas Mavericks FMP Železnik (Sinalco Superleague and Adriatic League)
    55 Luis Scola (PF) Argentina San Antonio Spurs (from L.A. Lakers) TAU Cerámica (Spain)
    56 Randy Holcomb (PF) United States San Antonio Spurs (traded to Philadelphia) San Diego State
    57 Corsley Edwards (PF) United States Sacramento Kings Central Connecticut

15. tsunami

tsunami Member

I didn't have much chance to watch Yi's game before. But from what I saw in tonight's game against Rockets, it's simply stupid to say "CV is a better player right now". :cool: Yi will become a superstar if he has Yao's work ethics, he simply has so much talent, which I don't find from CV. CV is just a middle class player material. No comparison. Yi will be a ROY candidate. CV who?

16. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

Yeah that guy is all arguing with me about how CV is better than Yi is and he even bust out CV's 2nd year stats and compare it to Yi's. He thinks that CV is better because CV averaged 2 pts more than Yi's rookie year during his 2nd year

17. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

Yeah you can't compare yi to scolas because they are under 2 different systems and play style. But based on potentials, Yi has alot more on the table no matter which team they are on. And finally Yi is better than CV

18. scola

scola Member

Thats Ginobili's ppg average in his first 20 games in the NBA.

Scola will help the Rockets big time. The more playing time he gets, the sooner he will adjust.

19. tsunami

tsunami Member

I fully agree brother. Scola has tremendous talents and what he needs is playing time right now.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This thread is rendered moot by one stat:

Houston (5-1)

Milwaukee (2-3).

Scola has no time to work out his kinks in-game, because we have the pressure of winning now. Yi and the Bucks can afford to look for his shots because people expect them to lose, so they might as well throw their prospects into the fire so they'll adjust faster. If Scola was one of the go-to guys on a crappy-ass team, he would probably have numbers just the same as Yi. I mean look at Durant and his 3-17 game. He still scored in double figures right? And last I heard Seattle was doin real well.