1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comparing LeBron and Kobe at 28

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pieman2005, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

11>6

Bill russell = Jordan + Kobe combined championships

2. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

Chris Bosh - 1 ring

Karl Malone - 0 rings

Therefore Bosh > Malone

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Everyone >>> Malone

1 person likes this.
  4. Classic

Classic Member

Are Jordan's First 10 seasons also his top 10 seasons by PER? Otherwise, Kobe may be benefiting against the others in this comparison.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No, they aren't. His rookie year and return year aren't in his top 10.

I know Kobe is benefiting. I did that on purpose, because otherwise it wouldn't even make sense to include him in the comparison. Even with the cherry-picked seasons, his PER is further away from LeBron's than LeBron's is from Jordan's.

6. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Bottom line....who would you rather take the winning shot? I'll bet 8 out of 10 analysts will pick Kobe. Kobe may not have the statistical success Lebron has but he has more killer instinct on the court and he could alter the game like no other in the game since Jordan.

Remember how he punked Lebron in this year's All-Star game? If Kobe wants to take you out, he'll take you out.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Bottom line question for me isn't about taking a winning shot. Its who I'd rather have in a playoff run.

8. Classic

Classic Member

Well, for the sake of the argument at hand, can you post it? You've got me interested now---using Kobe's first 10 seasons instead of top 10.

TIA

#128 Classic, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bottom line is the winning shot is only the last shot. If LBJ gives you 30 pts, 12 rebs and 8 assists then I don't care about the "winning shot" anymore, Kobe can have the last shot of the game if he goes 12-18 and freezes his entire team out.

10. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

I'd rather have Rudy Gay.

You see what I mean?

11. fmp087

fmp087 Member

It's funny how you have to nitpick a few seconds out of a 48 minute game to get your point across. And no, Kobe does not alter the game more than Lebron, hence the statistical comparisons.

Why mention the all-star game? It hurts your argument more than it helps.

12. supdudes

supdudes Member

According to Clutchfans:

MJ

LBJ

Wade

A bag of potatoes

Kobe/ JR smith

Am I missing something ;)

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

In order to beat the Heat tonight, you have to let Lebron get his points...and live with the result, but you win the battle by winning everyother match up...Bosh, Chalmers, Miller, Battier, Ray Allen have to be non factors...right now that is the only way to beat this Heat team...

14. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

This is just stupid. Kobe was on the bench his first several years. Lebron came in the franchise face out of high school. Why would it be surprising that Lebron has more stats accumulated?

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pretty much. The level of Kobe hate is wildly out of control on this website.

16. VBG

VBG Member

I think Lebron is clearly better than Kobe. He's on the tier above. Kobe is a top 15 player at worst.

Nobody is better at making tough shots than Kobe. But he shoots so damn many tough shots.

17. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

lol. Not sure if serious.

Source? Pretty sure Spud Webb and Steve Francis, and numerous others had a higher pure vertical leap than MJ.

18. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Shaq would have even more Finals MVPs. Lebron's stats (other than assists and steals) would be more comparable to Kobe's and Lebron would have more than 1 championship but would have 0 MVPs and 0 Finals MVP. He would have been more than happy to give Shaq the scoring burden and let Robert Horry take clutch shots.

if Kobe had been given the reigns from day one then his numbers would have been a lot closer to Lebron's (granted he prolly would only have 2 or 3 rings).

19. clippy

clippy Member

This is accurate. If LeBron had been with Shaq from '96 on, the Lakers probably would have had 6-7 titles in that ten year span (Shaq wouldn't have left) of Shaq's prime.

You don't really need to guess to see what would have happened if Kobe was the man from day one. We saw it from 2005 onward. Basically, he would have scored a lot more at his normal crappy efficiency (about 45%) while contributing little in the way of assists, rebounds, and defense. He certainly hasn't had trouble taking as many shots as you need though.

20. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

You guys are silly. When Jordan brought up the ring comparisons between Kobe and Lebron, he thought of Kobe as one of the main force in getting those rings. Duh. Do you really think he was considering free loaders? Come on now. No need to get technical with the phrases.

So comparing rings is unfair to Lebron but comparing MVP is fair to Kobe? Finals MVP is overrated. Those 3 Shaq won should have been co-MVP. Plus, playoff is 4 rounds, not just the final one. And regular MVP, Nash with 2, does it sound right? Kobe went from bench to superstar, that's a more interesting story than Lebron, who was given the team to him to begin with. He is also huge for his position, giving him a clear advantage.

It's hard to tell where Lebron will end his career, but getting more than 5 rings is not easy. Again, don't bring up Horry. Lol.