1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Compare Sam Dekker to a non-white player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robbie380, Jun 26, 2015.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I don't know. Green is definitely talented but something seems to be lacking from his game. His offensive game is so-so. He can't really create his own shot very well and seems to rush on offense. Probably the best comparison of current players.

I had to go back a couple of years to 2008 Jerry Stackhouse with the Mavs. Still had above average athleticism and high motor. Could score in a variety of ways and was clutch coming off the bench. Really solid player that could finish in traffic and was not afraid of contact.

If Dekker can continue to develop his post game and strength (which I think he will as time goes on) he can be a similar player to Jamal Mashburn although I don't think he will post up as much as Mashburn did. Mashburn could score in a variety of ways as well and was a lethal offensive weapon.
    I don't think Dekker has that kind of talent but somewhere between a mix of Stackhouse and Mashburn as more of a SG/SF type than a SF/PF type would be ideal.

People thinking of him as a stretch 4 I am not so sure that will be his best fit but I could be wrong. If he can play stretch 4 it will be because of his toughness and motor which I will not count out completely since he is a hard working mid-Westerner that will continue to work on weaknesses in his game including shooting from NBA distance.

We are not talking a lot about defense with him but my hope is he will be at least an average defender and rebounder in the NBA. I think this will be his toughest task but he should be athletic enough and driven enough to succeed as a defender.

If Morey and Co. think he can provide adequate defense then I will not be surprised if they let Brewer walk and replace with Dekker and/or McDaniels. As I mentioned, he is more of a SG/SF starting out so he could spell Harden while McDaniels spells Ariza. It definitely gives us options with Brewer and McDaniels impending free agency. Brewer just wasn't good enough on defense and too inconsistent on offense. Not sure Dekker or McD will be any more consistent but we also won't be paying them at 5+ mil like we will Brewer.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

LOL, sorry I meant that he's never lived outside of Wisconsin.

3. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

[​IMG]

via realgm.com

I think it's just cuz all those guys are light-skinned, but could be based on fact. I don't watch THAT much basketball anymore to know who Dekker compares to.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

James Worthy

5. RoxDaBeard

RoxDaBeard Member

Klay Thompson

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I wish

7. ch44

ch44 Member

Measurement wise, he is most similar to:

T.J. Warren, Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, Tristan Thompson, Cameron Bairstow, Khem Birch, Chandler Parsons, JaMychal Green, Khris Middletown, James McAdoo, Doug McDermott, Robert Covington. He has great height, wingspan, reach, and agility for a SF, above average for a PF. He's very weak though (3 bench press).

Statistically, he is similar to Matt Bonner, Chase Budinger, Kelenna Azubuike, Kyle Singler, Wilson Chandler, Reggie Jackson His team played at an extremely slow pace all 3 years, but he was very efficient and had a very high usage rate. His PER, ORtg, TS%, eFG%, MIN%, TOr, and 2FG% are some of the best in the country. He doesn't have a great STLr, BLKr, FTAr, or ASTr. Efficiency is through the roof, typical Morey player.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He looks really scrappy/out-of-control on offense. Flailing around when he attacks or has the ball near the rim. In that sense he is kind of like Ariza. Looks like a really good 50 year older at the YMCA to me.

Not really sold on him being the fluid, smooth in motion, free-styler Finch tried to sell him as.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Harrison Barnes seems like the most interesting comparison.

-He doesn't nor will he ever have the shooting that Klay Thompson has
    -He doesn't have the defense, or play-making that Igoudala has
    -He doesn't quite have the rangy length and defensive ability Ariza has
    -He's nowhere close to the play-maker/creator that Paul Pierce was

White guy comparison is probably Gordon Hayward. Non-White Guy comparison... I like the Barnes comparison. I think Jabari Parker is a similar prospect, but probably a better shot creator. Maybe Danny Granger is also a good comp if he can improve his shooting.

Worst case scenario... Derrick Williams or Evan Turner. Guys that are kind of tweeners without a role or a highly developed skill, and without the chance at big minutes to grow with.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I see a little bit of Robert Horry with his length. Horry was a good slasher early in his career just like this.

11. Play07

Play07 Member

Jordan Hamilton

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If he can shoot like Harrison Barnes I will be freaking ecstatic.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I mean these player comparisons are great, but what it really comes down to is can he shoot at the next level better than in college?

He's got to take massive steps in that direction or its going to be very hard to carve a role out in the NBA, and you could see him be a Derrick Williams/Evan Turner type that has trouble sticking and can only put up good production on bad teams.

If he can shoot the ball better, he's going to be a huge piece for the Rockets or another team.

14. conquistador#11

sergio ibaka, the spaniard. like ibaka, dekker can add more muscle to his frame and dohminate with athleticism, while improving jumpshot.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think a more likely outcome for him is a less frenetic Corey Brewer or maybe a less defensively studly version of Ariza with a better finish.

Barnes has a really good shot. Even when he was under 40% you could tell it was going to get there because of that stroke. I think Dekker is a guy that might perfect the set 3, but I just don't see him becoming a sniper.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Walt Williams

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

18. DunKingDanny

DunKingDanny Contributing Member

Brian Scalabrine tha GOAT

Houston Rockets 2016 NBA Champs confirmed.. :grin:

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

LOL according to many people in the D&D, Mexican IS white

20. Nook

Nook Member

Sam Dekker has the chance to be a high volume, 37-39% three point shooter. His form is very good, and he has the ability to shoot over players and pull up. The issue with him has been consistency. He sometimes lets his off hand get in the way and sometimes drifts on his heels, but those are both correctable. He is a very hard worker.

He is hard to evaluate, he was in a system in Wisconsin that really limited some of his strengths. He is an under rated athlete in transition, has good body control and good hands. He is capable of excelling in transition and has good scoring instincts outside of a traditionally dictated offense like Bo Ryan ran.

On the other hand, he REALLY benefited from Kaminski and all the attention Frank received. Off of the pick the other teams would NOT leave Kaminski which allowed Sam to get a step to the basket or to get to the rim.

Overall I think it was a very solid draft pick. Sam fell some because he will never be able to just carry an offense by himself, while teams really want that. However, there are few players like that and there is a serious need and value for players that can play multiple positions, defend multiple positions and hit threes and score in transition.

Dekker will not be Andre Iguodala or Scottie Pippen defensively, but he is likely to be above average and capable of covering 2-3 positions.