1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Communication delay between Bullard & Eschenfelder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SilentAssassin, Dec 11, 2008.

1. SilentAssassin

Has anyone noticed how long it takes for Matt Bullard to respond to a question on the post game show from Kevin Eschenfelder? You'd think with today's technology that could fix that.

:confused:

2. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

i'd think today's technology would allow matt do the Bull's Eye thing without "now pause, now let him do this, now pause again, now let him do that".... :confused:

3. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Yet NASA scientists were able to communicate with the Astronauts on the moon almost instantly...in 1969

[​IMG]

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Is Bull on the moon or something? Funny, I guess the Rockets can't afford the latest technology.

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

The real question is "why is Kevin Eschenfelder so bad?"

He either can't read a teleprompter to save his life, or he is just really terrible at making up his own sentences on the fly.

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Are they doing that out of the Houston Studios nowadays? I know that for a while, they were producing most of their FSN Southwest programming from the Dallas Studio (Even some of the "Houston" stuff). The Truck producing the actual game is returning the On-air Program to Bullard's IFB. There will be a delay for him to hear it in his ear due to the natural satellite time delays. The truck receives eschenfelder's questions VIA satelite or Cable TV and then feeds the program to Bullards ear. Or they might be receiving the signal VIA cell phone or Satelitte phone and are feeding that to Bullards ear. This is fairly normal with "Live Shots" from the studio to a live remote. If eschenfelder were in the same venue as the truck, then you wouldn't have a delay because program would be fed straight into the Bullards IFB through the audio board & wouldn't hit the airwaves first. If you watch most broadcast, there is a delay between a Studio and a Remote somewhere on location. Also, keep in mind that you can't compare the budget/equipment of a National Network News with the local News/sports channels etc. CNN will be much better equipped to handle live shots (they have to with the much larger distances needed to cover) than FSN or Channel 13.

It seems that when I did work at FSN in Dallas, they rarely used a teleprompter. I Know we NEVER used it on High School Xtra Live back when Randy McIlvoy & Craig Way hosted. I know we never used it on Dallas Cowboys Weekly and I'm fairly certain it was never used on The Southwest Sports Report or Sports on Sunday (I didn't work those 2 shows very often)

7. SilentAssassin

Sounnds like you have a pretty good handle on what's going on. They probably would have fixed it by now if they could. It does make the flow of the conversation a little cumbersome though. Or maybe Bull just has to process for 2-3 seconds to think of an answer.

8. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Think instant messaging. It shouldnt be too much to write a small chat program that would take what kevin says in Dallas, using voice recognition software relay that to typing, then send it live over the internet to a monitor in front of bullard, or even then have it read to matt in the earbud. The information would be there just as Kevin says it, im sure matt could have most of it read and ready to go with a reply before the signal is sent to him thru satelite.