1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comments from CD's Office on Lottery Day

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jun 7, 2002.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would draft him anyway, regardless of the red tape, we would hold his rights for at least a year...

DaDakota

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Yeah but what happens if he doesn't play for us this year, we get another lotto pick and we have to shell out the pick to Memphis...and never get to sign Ming?

3. Miggidy Markell

No, actually they are all "smoke screens"! :rolleyes: :D :D

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Van said that? Did he mention anything about having plenty of pop and chips on hand?

(local reference to a VC radio commercial)

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Of course we're drafting Ming. Whichever team drafts first has to draft him. But are we keeping him?

I don't care how many people say we want Ming, I'll believe it when I see it.

But getting around that pain-in-the-butt from the Shanghai Sharks is a good sign. Now we can negotiate with someone.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Based on Stern's comments on the ESPN show, yesterday, where he reiterated that the collective bargaining agreement must be followed, there is little doubt in my mind that if we draft him and he can't sign for reasons of demands outside the rules of our CBA, then we keep his rights indefinitely.

The rules of the CBA require a player to give a letter of notice that they are free to negotiate a standard Rookie Scale Contract, within the very limited room of negotiation that the contract allows. If the Sharks demand more, we keep his rights. If Ming plays for the Sharks, we keep his rights.

<b>h-townfan</b>

Had Rudy said those very same words today, we would not be saying they were made 3 weeks ago. Van Cancellor is a coach under Carroll Dawson. I think his comments are current whenever he speaks about his boss. Van is insider brass in Les Alexander's sports company.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just something i said. . . not particular reason
    Van is a likable guy . . .that all most Forrest Gump like
    country honesty seems to float around him

Rocket River

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That would mean we took a chance and lost

What if Ming is a 25/10 guy and we goto the western conference finals?

Rocket River

9. Timing

Timing Member

Anyone who has followed the Comets knows that Van talks a lot but doesn't usually say much. I don't know how reliable a quote from Van would really be in this situation. He's a great guy but prone to serious exaggeration.

10. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

What if Ming is a 25/10 guy and we goto the FINALS?:cool:

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Did the Rockets' organization really convey to the powers-that-be in China that we look forward to a long-term relationship with Yao?

OK, that helps.

12. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

Aren't they the same thing anymore?

:)

13. roswell raygun

I'm encouraged that Dawson's first response after winning the lottery wasn't, "Great, now I can trade for Lamar Odom."

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Amen:cool: