1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comments from CD's Office on Lottery Day

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jun 7, 2002.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Insider Comments: from CD's Office on Lottery Day

I just heard from an insider source (a proven bball mind) who was in the room with CD when Francis brought home the #1 pick.

He said that there is "no doubt" in his mind that the Rockets are taking Ming. That was the very first words out of his mouth.

He said that he and the Rockets consider it a "no brainer." Those were the last words out of his mouth. In between, he went on and on for a minute or two in a highly enthusiastic manner about how good Ming is and how much he can do to solve several problems of the Rockets.

So, who was this insider...

This was Van Chancellor on his Friday show today on 610am. He was in the room and the reaction was "no doubt" they wanted Ming.

woohoo, I actually had an insider comment to pass on. well sorta. hehe!

#1 heypartner, Jun 7, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2002
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

i heard that too
    If Van Said it. . it's gold.

Rocket River
    :)

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

Doc Rocket says the Rockets are taking Ming, Clutch says the Rockets are taking Ming, Van says they're taking Ming, CD says they're taking Ming. That's enough proof for me. Now if only people would stop speculating on this Ming for Odom rubbish.

4. Possum

Possum Member

AMEN!

5. datnikaDavid

datnikaDavid New Member

go YAO go YAO!!

heheh by the way i'm new and i think Yao is the best way to go

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Forgive my ignorance but I know Van is/was the coach of the Comets. What makes his word so golden? I'm not trying to be facecious here...i really dont know what position he has with the Rockets. Someone fill me in on his ties.

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

Well he apparently spoke to CD and says there's no doubt the Rockets are taking Ming. I don't think he would go on radio and lie about it or anything. Why would he?

8. NJRocket

thats not what i asked and i never said he would lie:rolleyes:

how did i know that someone would read my post and think I was questioning Van's word:rolleyes:

9. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Well, they (Comets and Rockets) are owned by the same person. They have the same GM (CD). They have some of the same staff. Why would he not know, especially when everyone appears to be candid about who the pick will be?

10. Possum

Possum Member

I don't keep up with the WNBA but I believe CD is the GM of the Comets too.

11. NJRocket

gotcha...i didnt realize that Les owned the Comets too

12. heypartner

NJRocket

The comments where his report of what was going on in CD's office when they landed the number. He said flat out that he was in the office, and that the vibe was "no doubt" Ming was who they wanted.

The question: "Do you think the Rockets will take Ming."

"Oh, there's no doubt." That's a quote. Then he placed this in the context of how excited the room got, and who they were talking about. He added his personal opinion as well, but he was also reporting the excitement of CD.

CD is his direct supervisor. How more "insider" can one be?

13. NJRocket

gotcha...thanks

14. edc

edc Contributing Member

None. However, the two organizations are very close, and CD is also the Comets' GM. In other words, Van is as "inside" as it gets.

15. NJRocket

HeyP...do you know if Van has changed his stance since then given all the recent hurdles?

16. heypartner

Those were Van's comments less that 90 minutes ago on the "Van Chancellor Show" on 610am here in Houston.

17. edc

edc Contributing Member

Probably not, considering the interview was in the last ninety minutes :p

18. NJRocket

my bad...i just noticed that:eek:

19. carlos

carlos Member

I suspect what was really meant is that the Rockets would take Ming barring any unreasonable demands or problems on the part of the Govt, Sharks etc. etc.. All things being equal (negotiations and contrat demands) I would agree that taking Ming is a no brainer. But until the contract situation is settled, the Rocks get to work him out and assurances that he will get to train with the Rocks in the off season (work on strength and post up moves) then I will still say trade the pick.

20. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

Those comments were made before they found out how much red tape they had to go through to get Ming. It will be interesting to see if those comments hold up on draft day.