1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Commanders on the Ground - What says you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by vwiggin, Dec 1, 2005.

Tags:
?

Should we have a bipartisan committee review commander recommendations immeidately?

1. Yes, that's what Bush wants and we need an unbiased accounting of opinions

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  2. No, we should trust Bush to tell us what the commanders are saying

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Not necessary, this will be handled by existing congressional committees

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. No, doing this will only encourage the terrorists.

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh but it does. It has been provided for you.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes it is, please note the time stamp below:

"In another unusual move, Rumsfeld has tapped Army Gen. John Keane, the No. 2 officer in the Army, to succeed the current chief of that service, Gen. Eric Shinseki, whose term runs out next year. Selecting a successor for the current chief so far in advance is highly unusual."

Ricks, Thomas E.; "Bush Backs Overhaul of Military's Top Ranks"; Washington Post Thursday, April 11, 2002

so a year before the invasion, and 5 months prior to the 8 month long rush to war, rumsfeld announced shinseki's replacement. Shinseki served his full term, too, btw. so how, exactly, did bush replace shinseki because he suggested the need for more troops? please, i'll wait while you move the goal posts...

3. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes he did. There are no goal posts being moved. As I said you should read the point where Shinseki says by naming the replacement early it undercut even the remaining time at his position which could have been extented. Semantics won't help in this case.

4. insane man

insane man Member

i dont know if this was posted but its somewhat relevant.

Letters to the Editor for Monday, November 28, 2005

Stars and Stripes

European and Mideast editions

(EDITOR’S NOTE: These are the letters that appeared in each edition of Stripes on this publication date. Click here to jump ahead to the Pacific edition letters)
    War based on a lie

Weapons of mass destruction? I’m still looking for them, and if you find any give me a call so we can justify our presence in Iraq. We started the war based on a lie, and we’ll finish it based on a lie. I say this because I am currently serving with a logistics headquarters in the Anbar province, between the cities of Fallujah and Ramadi. I am not fooled by the constant fabrication of “democracy” and “freedom” touted by our leadership at home and overseas.

This deception is furthered by our armed forces’ belief that we can just enter ancient Mesopotamia and tell the locals about the benefits of a legislative assembly. While our European ancestors were hanging from trees, these ancient people were writing algebra and solving quadratic equations. Now we feel compelled to strong-arm them into accepting the spoils of capitalism and “laissez-faire” society. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy watching Britney Spears on MTV and driving to McDonald’s, but do you honestly believe that Sunnis, Shias and Kurds want our Western ideas of entertainment and freedom imposed on them? Think again.

I’m not being negative, I’m being realistic. The reality in Iraq is that the United States created a nightmare situation where one didn’t exist. Yes, Saddam Hussein was an evil man who lied, cheated and pillaged his own nation. But how was he different from dictators in Africa who commit massive crimes again humanity with little repercussion and sometimes support from the West? The bottom line up front (BLUF to use a military acronym) is that Saddam was different because we used him as an excuse to go to war to make Americans “feel good” about the “War on Terrorism.” The BLUF is that our ultimate goal in 2003 was the security of Israel and the lucrative oil fields in northern and southern Iraq.

Weapons of mass destruction? Call me when you find them. In the meantime, “bring ’em on” so we can get our “mission accomplished” and get out of this mess.

Capt. Jeff Pirozzi
    Camp Taqaddum, Iraq
    http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=125&article=33305

5. basso

Supporting Member

semantics??? i don't doubt that rumsfeld had some sort of issue with shinseki, but to suggest that he fired him for views he had yet to express...are you saying rummy is clairvoyant?

6. insane man

insane man Member

General Pace: "It is absolutely the responsibility of every U.S. service member, if they see inhumane treatment being conducted, to intervene to stop it,"

Rumsfeld: "But I don't think you mean they have an obligation to physically stop it; it's to report it."

General Pace: "If they are physically present when inhumane treatment is taking place, sir, they have an obligation to try to stop it ."

and that sir is why you can't accuse me of hating the US military. the real men in the military are men with morals and courage. its just assholes like rummy that ruin it.

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

But Shinseki's agenda and transformation goes back to 1999. The specific comments might not have come yet, but the exact same basis in reality that Shinseki advocated wasn't new when Rumsfeld made the announcement of replacing him.

8. basso

Supporting Member

how exactly do you spin that to mean rummy/bush fired him for saying there were too few troops? it's baffling, beyond nonsensical, and yet, there you go again.

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I will grant you that it was only part of the reason. I don't know what you mean by "There you go again" Anytime you disagree with a point I'm attempting to make feel free to speak up. That is what this board is for.

Anyway it would have been more accurate of me to say that We know that Shinseki spoke out against the way things were being planned, it angered Rumsfeld, and others in the administration, and he was replaced.

There is a slight difference there between my original claim, though it isn't all that far removed.

It might also be noted that in retrospect Shinseki was correct both in his assessment of Iraq, and his plans for shifting the focus of our military. Those that were angered by his comments were the ones that ended up being wrong, yet they were either kept on, or promoted, while Shinseki was replaced.