1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Comic Book Cinema] DC's Suicide Squad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 2, 2014.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Sweetie it's not art. It's a product. Big difference.

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It's art in every sense that music is considered art as well. Art you can choose to buy.

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

No it's not. It's a product. Conceived and made in the same way McDonald's introduces a new burger. Someone comes up with a new menu item, some MBA executives decide on it's commercial appeal, it's focused grouped to death, tinkered with some more and finally made available for mass consumption. Always with some million dollar marketing budget.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Lol film isnt art? Tell that to Kubrick.

5. val_modus

val_modus Member

Comparing Kubrik to most of contemporary Hollywood's film makers is apples to oranges.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It also doesn't "have entirely subjective value"

It has real value as predicted by big formulas the studios have come up with. Why do you think there are so many reboots.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Art can and frequently is a product. They are not mutually exclusive.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It wasn't bad, I would put it around the lower tier of Marvel movies. Easily the best of the 3 DC movies IMO. They tried much harder to copy the Marvel formula in that adding some humor goes a long way in covering plot holes to create an entertaining movie. If you are gonna try to make a serious, darker movie, then you need to be on point with the plotting and film structure. This movie had a lot of the same problems that BVS and MOS had (frankly the same problem most super hero movies have) with plot holes and development, but for the most part I enjoyed myself.

Delevigne was abysmal as enchantress, the climax was hard to watch because her acting combined with the dub was so poor. Joker didn't work for me at all, and I thought Croc could have been used better. Probably should have went CGI, because something about his design was just off. Smith and Robbie were great, and I loved cold b**** Waller.

I feel better about DC coming out than I did going in. Maybe they are on the right track realizing super hero blockbusters can't be overly serious unless you are going to hire the best director on the planet to do every movie. they still have a pacing issue trying to introduce too much too quickly.

9. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Really thought there would be a sick final showdown between the squad and joker or a fight between the squad and bats like in the animated film

10. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I just forced myself to go see it again. For some reason I freaking loved it this time. Maybe because of the IMAX?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sometimes expectations are different during a second viewing and it allows you to see the movie in a different light. I HATED BvS the first time I watched it, but a second viewing of the theatrical release had me less angry about it and by the time I saw the ultimate cut, I actually enjoyed most of it.

Perhaps this movie is the same.

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

Watched it, loved it........ Cant believe all the hate its getting... My mind actually tends to wander during movies and rarely do I get engaged into something like I did with Suicide Squad.... Despite it being a little over 2 hrs it felt short. No movie will ever be perfect but DC material is on the right tracks..... Harley, The Joker and Deadshot were freaking awesome..... Enjoyed watching them as much as Captain America and The Avengers....... Ill give it an 8/10.... It was fun.....

13. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I watched Batman v Superman the other day and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It definitely has flaws but I thought it was one of the better superhero movies to come out in a long time (I dislike most of them). It's also the best Superman movie by far, as every other Superman movie is terrible. I don't understand all the vitriol directed at BvS. I thought that Ben Affleck was a great Batman. I was quite surprised because I have not even remotely liked a Zack Snyder film since Watchmen.

I am hoping that Suicide Squad falls into the same category. I have thought that most superhero movies that got good reviews lately (like Age of Ultron, for instance) have been pretty awful.

1 person likes this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Just got home from a Sunday night showing. It was terrible. The worst part of the movie was the Joker. Didn't like that version of the Joker (bling seriously?) who was as menacing and scary as a kid dressed up as the joker on Halloween. Also didn't like the interjecting approach without a connection to the main arch at the end. Literally the Joker kept interrupting a movie that was at least trying. I need to go watch Ledger and Nolan again because I feel scared and confused.

When they intro the squad, I was like alright these guys/gals are bad asses. I was excited!!! But they fizzled fast, not near as cool and bad ass their intros. I only liked Will Smith Dead Shot and Harley Quin Margot Robbie acting. The rest of the squad was cringy AF. I didn't mind the villain but it wasn't great.

Overall 4/10

#434 ipaman, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I personally think it's a flawed movie, mainly because the plot is pretty pain by the numbers and a bad villian, but the film was a lot of fun.

I've always been a big DC fan, much more than Marvel, and I thought they really got the feel of most of the characters. I noticed a lot of little things in each that really showed the level of detail they went into getting the characters right which I appreciated.

While the plot was pretty basic it was still enjoyable for me throughout even with it's issues.

I personally think they would have been better off using the Joker as the villain because Enchantress was just to simple and thinly written.

16. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I liked what Leto did with the joker but I didn't like the joker at all, if that makes sense. The joker definitely should've been the main villain. Enchantress is way too powerful a villain for the squad, she's handed superman his ass before. I still liked that they introduced magic into the universe. Marvel for whatever reason hasn't. Waiting to see if Dr. Strange will. Gonna go see this again tho cz Margot lol

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I agree with you about Enchantress, that'd really be more of a JL type villian. I suppose what I meant is that her character just wasn't very interesting and kind of bland.

I'm planning on seeing it again as well and just let it kind of sink in now that I've watched it once.

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Should have been a 3 hour movie

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Magic? Things are explained through advanced technology, infinity stones, and mutations I guess, but it sort of still feels like magic to me.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Magic was brought up way back in Thor. It'll be all over Dr. Strange.