1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comey Fired

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, May 9, 2017.

?

Do you agree with the firing?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. Yes but only after the Russian investigation

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

For Republicans, public service is what you do after you get caught.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The question isn't if Trump has some illegal returns, but who gets his money and where he makes his money.
    Pledging loyalty to the Constitution means you cannot pledge loyalty to the President.

Deckard likes this.
  3. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Pretty much the way I feel watching people get their undies in a bunch over someone's taxes.
    It's a real circus.

4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Trump rarely makes his returns public. He showed them once in '99 and '05 so nothing to get up in arms about because he has chosen not to.
    And just because previous presidents chose to, does not make it law.
    Get off this witch hunt already.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He was still a piece of rotting human garbage; this ain't Yalta, no need to split that baby.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I guess you don't care to hold your president to a higher standard. I don't need to see tax returns of every-day citizens. But the president of the United States isn't a normal citizen. And regardless of whether its a law or not, past presidents have released their tax returns... for the very reason Trump is under suspicion... to remove any questions or doubt as to the integrity of our president and government. He knew this was the history when he ran for president... he should have and still should release his full tax returns. Until then there will always be suspicions about him and by extension our government.

Deckard likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said! Wattaburger has an incredible disinterest in the honesty of the fellow in the Oval Office, and a bizarre view of the IRS as it relates to people running for office.

8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

No need - the IR freaking S will be keeping an eye on him.
    Suspicions about what? Successfully navigating loopholes?
    We all do that.
    Those with an agenda however, will continue to scrape away at the barrel bottom.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The IRS does not have the scope to determine if anything in his tax returns have ties to the Russian government. Let's say that his tax returns show that Trump has massive debt held by Russian investment banking. There is nothing illegal with having debt held by Russian bankers. The IRS can't do anything about that. The scope of the investigation falls within the FBI and it would be the FBI that requests any financial information including tax returns from the IRS which the FBI could have very well already did but since this is currently an ongoing investigation, they won't tell you.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The IRS simply enforces tax laws. This is a question about conflicts of interest with the Russian government (and conflicts of interest when it comes to rewriting US tax laws among other issues).

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

If Trump has done something wrong, I am all for him being punished just like the rest of us but this whole episode just reeks of a leftist agenda crusade.
    Who gets punished if Trump has done nothing wrong - with all this expense and time consuming witch hunting?

12. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Right.
    It is also a wonderful opportunity to keep the anti-Trump movement rolling along with a full head of steam.
    Until something concrete turns up, the baying hounds need to settle down some.

13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Watergate took 2-3 years before anything came up. Proper investigations take time. Were you upset with all the time and money spent on Benghazi? How many investigations did they do anyways? Like 8? What came of that again? Nothing.

Nothing may come from this investigation on Trump. It's a possibility. That said, Trump being more transparent with his tax returns would answer a lot of questions and would actually make him look more favorable to the majority side of Americans that are displeased with his tenure as President thus far.

I personally don't understand your defense of a 70+ year old billionaire like he's a victim of the media. So far with his policies he's shown no shame in ruining the lives of those not born with a golden spoon in their mouths and making quality of life harder for a dwindling middle class. Literally everything he's campaigned on that won him the Presidency from swamp drainage to Obamacare has been a failure. The only successful thing he's accomplished is appointing a SCOTUS. And that SCOTUS he's nominated has tweeted on more than one occasion his head scratching over Trump's decision making.

14. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

I find it ultimately hilarious that alt right - chicken hawks, love to dismiss situations that given a reverse scenario from the left, they would be screaming about.

Already pointed out, but where did you stand on Benghazi? Or better yet, how about private email servers? Im sure you pissed and moaned to everyone within earshot over those situations, but somehow a president, who will not release his tax returns, which may indict him as to having ties to a foreign government, that made attempts to sabotage our election, and you think...."meh, prove it".

Hypocracy....idiocy....lunacy...me thinks all of the above.

Everyone here knows if this would be Barak Obama you would be screaming from the soap boxes.

15. London'sBurning

Here's the thing too. Benghazi was a tragedy in the lives lost there. But it's nowhere near the potential scandal of a President colluding with a foreign power and weakening our democratic process. This type of scandal wouldn't only negatively affect the left on this but the right as well. This investigation could very well be to your own benefit Wattafan and you're upset over it. I don't understand that type of logic. I get that Trump's your guy. I can even sorta respect it. But the fact that you're willing to support him over your own personal interest is a head scratcher to me. But you do you man.

16. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I'm old school and long for the news of days gone by - not this guff we get shoved down our throats every single night.
    You can bet the first cab off the rank is more Trump bashing - 15 - 20 minutes worth.
    It just pisses me off.

17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Trump was not my guy, but the lesser of two evils so to speak.
    See my post above.

18. London'sBurning

Fair enough. That said, if you really want to hit cable news hard, cancel your cable subscription. I did. I don't have to watch partisanship from any of the news shows unless they happen to be linked on here from Youtube or something. I got a HD antenna for local TV channels and get my media entertainment online. Otherwise I run HDMI from a mini computer rig next to my big screen and watch movies and series there.

19. NewRoxFan

The irony... back when the early calls for the release of his tax returns, the question was the % he donated to charities. And if you recall, the "release" of the info in an old return appeared to try to answer those concerns. As time passed, and more information about his inner circle (and thanks to statements made by Trump's sons, Trump's own finances) and it now appears that the big question that can be answered by his tax returns are the financial interactions with Russia and how they may reflect on the Russian efforts to influence the 2016 election and any subsequent activities of the President. Of course, had Trump released his returns as Presidents have in the past, those questions about Russia would hae been already answered.

Releasing his returns, as former Presidents have done, would not incur expense on Trump's part, and would not be a punishment. And the fact he continues to avoid releasing them only increases suspicions and continues public demand for increased investigation.

20. NewRoxFan

At this point, don't you feel the excuse of "lesser of two evils" seems questionable at best?