1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Huh? The price a channel commands isn't only based on what the peak viewership is, i.e. during games. It's based on programming and ratings throughout the day and week. If a channel hypothetically gets 5 million viewers during a 2.5-hour basketball game but only 50,000 viewers in the other 21.5 hours of the day, it doesn't have as much value as a rival channel that gets the same 5 million viewers during a game but has, say, 500,000 viewers in the other hours due to superior programming. Obviously those numbers are just hypotheticals pulled out of thin air, but the point stands: there's more to a channel's value than merely the peak. This is common sense.

From Clutch: I used to think that was just giving CSN more money, but that's not it. Those providers are not even willing to sit down to negotiate... and they won't unless there is a demand.

My understanding is DirecTV and others are acting like there's no demand, thus they're not even willing to negotiate for it.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7477920&postcount=2496

He's talked to people on the CSN side. Do you think they'd complain about providers not being willing to negotiate if their price was firm? Moreover, do you really believe for a second that there's "no demand"? Thousands have signed the petitions, made their complaints and numerous folks have gotten discounts. They know there's demand. There is incentive for them to get a deal done. But rather than negotiate up front, they appear to have taken the strategy to hold out and intimidate CSN into backing down.

#2861 The Cat, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This thread is starting to look like scenes from Apocalypse Now.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I will try one last time to get you to understand. Then I'm out.

I am not asking anyone to negotiate on my behalf. I am not asking Clutch to talk to les/comcast/uverse/et al.

the last time I checked, this site was a fan board.

the last time I checked, the majority of fans are not able to view the game.

the last time I checked, the majority of fans would like a resolution and have been asked to bang a drum to get the service.

Clutch has a big drum. I'm asking him to pound it.

I'm not demanding.

somehow you have misconstrued every single post no matter how resolute and clear I make it.

let's see if you can do it to this one as well.

And if clutch has a problem with my position, I'm sure he will take it up with me. I doubt he needs you trying to get his 'back'.

4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Thanks for clarifying.

I still think you are in the wrong. Your intentions are good, your form is not.

5. studogg

fair enough. agree to disagree on the topic and we both move on.

1 person likes this.
  6. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

#CutForComcast

Let's cut our wrist for the ones without out comcast so we can bring some attention to this situation and get everyone CSN to watch the Rockets games

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's absolutely false. You could make this claim about anything the Rockets wouldn't like here and I've more than proven that's not the case. You do realize that I, the guy you're claiming is scared to lose his press access, has allowed people to post some incredibly harsh things about the Rockets... like hundreds to thousands of times, right? Go back and read. Given your additional attempts to contact last night, it's obvious you are an extremely low character individual that was looking for a reaction and I'm giving you too much credit in replying.

I can guarantee the Rockets would not HATE a grassroots movement here but would LOVE it if I was spending all my time trying to get more attention to this situation. They're losing fan share and ticket sales and they don't have the control on this negotiation like you might think they do. So I'm dying to hear what this course of action is that I'm not doing that would lead to a solution that the Rockets would hate that would supposedly put me on a black list of theirs.

It doesn't take much for someone to come up with a conspiracy theory, and you can deny it until your face turns blue... their story with limited info just works for them. For example, on the conspiracy theory that CSN can hold out on a ridiculous price because they just funnel people to a parent company Comcast (something I used to believe as well), I posted about that earlier:

I don't want to get in the way of a good story, but I'm telling you... I've seen maps of the coverage areas where CSN Houston needs to be and Comcast cable isn't available in anywhere near enough geographical locations for this to be a power play to get people to go to Comcast cable (and that's not even including the places in Houston where it's not available -- many live in apartments that have TV deals in place with other providers). If it was available in the majority of locations where they need to be, that would have probably been enough leverage to get a deal done with one of the others.

And why do the providers not feel a need to get a deal done? Because there's not enough demand voiced to warrant it and no true competitor of theirs that is available everywhere is pulling their customers away. If, for example, DirecTV struck a deal for the channel, the others would likely fall quickly because they'd lose market share to DirecTV. I'd tell you to contact your provider, but for a handful of you, that would make me a huckster for CSN.

Quick story -- some time back, I had heard that CSN gave away tickets to a preseason game to fans who signed up for the petition that they wanted the channel. I asked if they were going to do that again and heard that they were, so I (ME) asked if I could let our fans know that in advance. To my knowledge, CSN did not post that on their website or "dangle" tickets to get people to sign up. Here though? I felt I could give fans a heads up on the day it was going to happen -- free tickets to a regular season game and they let providers know they want the channel ... win-win. Most really liked that, but there were heavy critics too ... in particular, check out this response. So there's anger from this clown that I don't do anything and anger when I do. He's livid that I haven't made this my cause (with all this additional spare time I apparently have in my life), but he's not even willing to click his mouse to say he wants the channel. :confused:

(BTW, I've already gotten the explanation email from Batman Jones claiming he was super emotional that night because of personal matters. Great... thanks so much. Meanwhile, I'll just sit here and defend myself for no good reason against people who have been sucked in by your bull****.)

And studogg, from your response, you want me to "take an active stance," "not do nothing" and "lash back at the powers that be." OK -- now where are the specifics? My posts asking for ideas were met with a whimper. When 40% of the city does get the channel and God knows how many of the 60% not willing to lift a finger on this matter (see: Jones, Batman) or not caring one iota about watching the Rockets or Astros or seeing their TV costs go up so others can... we're not exactly cruising down I-10 with the righteous anger of the entire city here like "Save Our Rockets".

And what's stopping you or any fan from organizing this movement here on ClutchFans? Seriously. Have I done anything to keep you or anyone else from doing this?

Outside of the obvious one of contacting your provider, one suggestion I made was getting politicians involved. I had considered setting up an independent site where we could register our name or a complaint and contact the relevant politicians directly, and I am still open to this, but I did look into it and was told a petition of about 200,000 names is what it would take to get their attention on this. ClutchFans is pretty big, but for us to start one from scratch, I'm not thinking we're going to arrive at that number. I'd rather tell people to sign the one at CSN Houston when they already have a head start of 25-50-75K or whatever they have.

Also, there is a rumor (and by "rumor" I mean something told to me as fact, but I have no way of substantiating it) that the Rockets and NBC felt they had a deal with DirecTV, but the Astros (the majority owner of this partnership) nixed it. Pretty lame considering the Rockets have a lot to lose right now but the Astros can afford to wait. You can see that's out there:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Astros holding up the works.RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/im4uh">im4uh</a>: @<a href="https://twitter.com/mj4sports">mj4sports</a> any intel on when / if Comcast n direct tv will settle things do we can c Rox games?</p>&mdash; Matt Jackson (@MJ4Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJ4Sports/status/288806520328687617" data-datetime="2013-01-09T00:36:54+00:00">January 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-in-reply-to="288808291465834496"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/im4uh">im4uh</a> not Comcast fault either. Rox and Comcast have numbers they feel they can work with to negotiate, Astros who own maj % want more $$</p>&mdash; Matt Jackson (@MJ4Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJ4Sports/status/288808441617723392" data-datetime="2013-01-09T00:44:32+00:00">January 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-in-reply-to="288807474738364416"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/jt3guy">jt3guy</a> I have no idea when it will get settled. But fans should know that Rox are losing $ on the network. They don't want the stalemate.</p>&mdash; Matt Jackson (@MJ4Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJ4Sports/status/288808822783496193" data-datetime="2013-01-09T00:46:03+00:00">January 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. A regional sports network negotiating with a cable/satellite provider (two private businesses) is a complex issue for fan intervention. larsv8 wants an article written and a counter -- I can do this -- but outside of putting additional spotlight on the "we don't like this" comments (which I thought I was doing by keeping this stuck to the top of the page), I just don't see an obvious course of action for us to take here that is going to accelerate a solution.

4 people like this.
  8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well there goes my theory that Les Alexander had $3.40 tattooed on his dong. :(

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Man...

Eff the Astros

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, IF that is correct (I'll continue to take everything with a grain of salt), the Astros are really trying to stretch those new uniforms with regards to goodwill for their move to the AL.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

And you should -- one person saying it is not enough in a tricky situation like this where parties could try to deflect blame -- but if true, I don't think this situation will drag out for years like Portland. That may not help those wanting to see the Rockets this season, but I doubt the Astros will be as patient when their season is set to start.

Also, the Astros' market share is much bigger geographically in Texas than the Rockets'... I'm not sure but perhaps that means more people complaining to the providers. That may be balanced out though by those who already have the channel and call to ask their provider to drop it after they watch the Astros for a few games.

12. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

If this team is good enough they'll make the playoffs and we can see them on ESPN or TNT. If they're not good enough then they won't make the playoffs and we aren't missing out on much.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

LOL!!

1 person likes this.
  14. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

The Astros of all people want for dollars. Sick mother*****ers. To hell with that sucky ass baseball **** anyway.

15. studogg

Clutch - I made suggestions in response that you actually took the time to respond to and rep me for as you indicated you liked the ideas. I also suggested the petition. I have also continually hit my provider as well as comcast. I am utilzing the avenues that I have to convey my desire for the channel.

Your soapbox is larger than mine. That is all.

16. GMNot

GMNot Member

Certainly not an obvious AND effective course of action. This echoes what I got from talking with Mr. Rich Bocchini at CSN Houston (713.457.6259). He said waiting for the Astros season would be all one could really do at this point -- aside from complaining to one's provider. WAIT??? That would only be verification of all bark but no bite by Rockets fans, if we just wait. When he said that CSN Houston was asking for a similar fee as any regional sports network, I countered, that if fans can't know the details from either side, how are we to judge that? I suggested someone from CSN Houston post their case here. I mentioned that in a previous post. I don't see any case being made by anyone, so far. In lieu of that, fans have every right to suspect any and all parties.

Those who want to complain could start with a call there. But it seems to me the heat should really be, now, directed at the Astros http://houston.astros.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=hou Of course, the likely response will be "Moi?" See. No one is really to blame. It's a cruel curse of destiny that has been visited on all alike. The parties are all blameless and helpless. Let us pray for their delivery.

I don't have a Pollyanna perspective on protesting, but providers, like DirecTV, are set up to handle a lot of calls. The Astros office is, most likely, not. So if a coordinated effort (say choosing a certain hour of every business day for fans here to call and complain to the Astros, MIGHT reap more benefits than barking up the wrong tree. And I say might simply because so many automated phone systems parry calls into the never never land of voice mail. Even if complaints get recorded as voice mail it will be registered. Theoretically, there is a cross-over between Rockets and Astros fans. Registering one's displeasure "as an Astro fan," who also wants to watch the Rockets, as a Rockets fan, would be the best linkage for such complaints.

As a starter, how about fans here calling the Astros between 9-10am and 2-3pm, weekdays and leaving voice mails, if nothing else. Couldn't hurt. Make sure they understand you are an Astros fan as well as a Rockets fan and would hate to lose your respect for the Astros organization. I would suggest asking for the following persons, in the following order to start with:

President and Chief Executive Officer: George Postolos
    Executive Assistant: Eileen Colgin
    Special Advisor to Chairman: Pam Gardner

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. At least you'll have the satisfaction that you let the Astros management know they bear a responsibility to all Houston sports fans; not just their own base. Remember how baseball had a difficult time recovering from the 1994 strike? There aren't enough Rockets/Astros fans to rise to that level of power, but we can make some noise rather than a whimper... or worse, silence. If it falls on deaf ears, well, you'll know how much to support the Astros in the future. It's all about scratching backs. The Astros and the Rockets are in this together. It seems we can respond to the Rockets caring about fans, by letting their "partner" know they aren't returning the scratches. Do they want to sink to the level of approval that Congress has?

I have to say, in the end, I STILL find it hard to believe that a call from Les Alexander to Jim Crane, asking for a resolution to the CSN Houston/Provider negotiation sticking points, would be tossed aside or ignored. But if that HAS happened, all the more reason for fans to muddy the Astros and CSN Houston voice mail waters. Give Mr. Bocchini a call, too. He's a nice guy. (And he said he looks at Clutchfans -- checks this thread.) He's just doing his job for the "team" he is on.

1 person likes this.
  17. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

i like the idea of us blowing up the stupid astros...who freakin cares about them anyway...they should have negotiated during their season. No one would care then.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

stu -- I don't have any issues with you and I'm not holding any beef (honestly), I'm just responding to those who are trying to crack the whip or just flat out beat on me. I have a hard time seeing a clear path to take, which is why there's less action from me than you'd like -- not some other factor. I'll work on implementing some of these ideas.

Also, Jeff Balke and I spoke on this issue the other day and he just called me -- I'm on the phone with him now... he's writing a story on it for the Houston Press that will come out later today. It will discuss the Astros rumor. I'm sure a link will be posted when it's available.

19. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Jim Crane holding out for every dollar he can get isn't surprising. He's the same guy who covered up the train tracks with an ugly billboard where he can advertise about 10 companies. **** this guy.

20. studogg

understood. thanks for the feedback and any additional action you take.

I think we all agree we just want this charade to be over.

I'm hopeful that the end of the Texan's season combined with a couple timely wins (re: tonight v clips) could help building popular senitment amongst the less vocal crowd. Unfortunatley, I know too many fans that don't think basketball starts until the playoffs.