1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colts @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 7, 2004.

1. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

ok so I see we have babin and peek in at the same time and wongs playing the middle

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

another 3 and out serries for the offense

ugh

running out of chances

we better stop the Colts here or the game is over

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Damn, that was a big third down conversion for the Colts.

4. RocketFan007

And that's going to just about do it. At least they didn't give up, this one could have been ugly.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Where's T-Mac when you really need him... think he could make this comeback? :D

6. codell

not once this game did the Texans take a shot downfield

not once

7. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Yeah, codell, that really pissed me off too. How many catches did AJ have, like 3? Pathetic. DREW FREAKING BENNETT torched the Colts and Dre doesn't even sniff the endzone? Pathetic. Worthless. Get rid of the offensive coordinator.

8. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

I was about to type this. What's wrong with the coaching in this town? One coach can't teach a lick of offense and another coach and his coaching staff are the most conservative bunch in the nfl.

the commentators made a good point. Tennessee last week threw it long and drew bennett had 3 tds. Come on now. I'm tired of these stupid check downs that carr's doing.

And to punt the ball with 5 minutes to go in the game when you got the ball on 4th down is just stupid. Your not gonna get the ball back and relying on your defense is too much to ask. Capers/Palmer need to grow some balls. :rolleyes:

9. codell

in Carr and Palmer's defense, the O line continues to be horrendous on pass protection........

the goal this offseason, above all else, shoud be to get the damn O line stabalized so Carr can have time to show his skills

10. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

codell,
    the o-line is horrendous but you can't blame them for everything. For instance the 3rd and 3 or 4 in the 4th quarter where carr was sacked which ensued in a punt was a terrible play. You got to make a pass no matter what. What does carr end up doing? He makes his reads and then decides to run. That's car's fault as well as the playcalling.

and i don't know if getting an o-line will help carr show his skills. Its really apparent that palmer is still using the kid gloves with carr. I mean one of the weaknesses of the colts is their secondary. I don't know why we didn't attack down the middle more with our WR. Our whole offense was check-downs to DD.

bottom line for me is that we need more aggressive play-calling for this team to be successful. Our strengths on this team is offense and to rely on the defense to stop the colts is just ludacris. Holding them to 23 points should be a victory for any defense. Palmer needs to go or change his approach.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Conservative play-calling is good when you're an expansion team and you have no weapons.

Problem is, we're not an expansion team anymore! We have weapons! We just don't use them.

:mad:

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The O-line is the single MOST IMPORTANT thing that can help an offense. Its the rock, the foundation, the key ingredient, the x-factor... everything.

It can turn average teams into great ones... and it can turn great skills position players into mediocre ones.

We've seen Carr throw downfield with ease in the past... hell, at one point this season, he was on pace to throw for over 4,000 yards. The key was, in those games... he had PROTECTION.

This game started with an interception, and two sacks.... for each of the times that Carr dropped back to pass. Also, the Colts seemed to dare the Texans to beat them with the run... and they almost did, as Domanick had one of his best games of the season out there.

Granted, Carr still has some room to mature... but there's not many QB's out there (incuding Manning) who could succeed with this horrid offensive line right now.

13. RocketFan007

Guys, you can't take shots down field when your offensive line can't protect. The WRs have to have time to get down field and the QB has to have time to get it to them. Carr wasn't allowed to stand in the pocket at all today, thus all the sacks and dump offs to DD. If Seth Wand is our starting LT next year, I don't think I'll be able to watch them.

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Carr really sucked today. He was sacked 5 times and 3 of those sacks was because he held the ball for like 2 hours. Make a damn play against a good team in the 4th quarter atleast once in your career.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You have got to be kidding me. NOT ONCE did they go long down the field to AJ. NOT ONCE! The entire game!

16. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

You got that right...AJ is our best reciever and he had about 4 short catches

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I can't agree more! Saw the game, and not passing it at least medium, save long range to AJ is crazy...

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Nick and RocketFan,

No one is saying we should throw bombs on every snap. But not taking ONE SINGLE SHOT downfield against an average secondary is inexcusable.

Put in the max protection package and take a shot or two.

19. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

He was at the game. :(

I saw him going down the to the tunnel during the 2nd quarter. I think it was really him out there, not Domanick Davis.

Although Jim Jackson and Juwon Howard kept taking turns pretending to be David Carr.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I would like this team to be run and gun as much as the next guy... I think its fun to watch, it can be very effective. I grew up watching the run and shoot, and I was in St. Louis for the "greatest show on turf" in 99... so offense definitely makes for more enjoyable football.

BUT... you can't do any of that on a consistent basis without either having a solid running game, or a decent offensive line.

Sure, we could have taken a few shots downfield... but that doesn't take away the fact that there IS a problem with this O-line.

The Colts were pressuring Carr on plays where they weren't even blitzing... and on those plays where it seemed like Carr didn't get rid of it fast enough, Carr was so screwed up in the head (expecting a rush), that he couldn't even begin to get into a good rhythym to throw downfield.

In games where they have protected for Carr... he's played well. But in the games where they haven't (especially both Colts games)... they don't do much.