1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colts acquire Trent Richardson

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Sep 18, 2013.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Even though he agrees with the point(s) I've been trying to make in this thread, I still take this with a grain of salt. This is the guy that was GM or President or Parcells like Consultant, whatever he was you, know he made the call on moving up and drafting Trent.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I would go a little deeper than that, but typically only the really exceptional RBs could be considered these days, since most teams are starting to abandon the run as means of primary offense. Still, I think alot of people overlook the difference between an elite running back and a good running back. There's a great disparity between the two, especially considering how one can be the focus point for an entire defense and still gain alot yards.
    Also, I would feel more confident in the highly touted player who probably has faced tough NCAA defenses in college and done well. It would be a little foolish to pass on running back who possess elite skills and ability to put your team on another level. Most of these teams often run into a decent or good running back in the draft more so, as a player who just happens to be there at the pick.

You also have to consider is the talent of the running backs and is it as great as it was in previous decades.

Going back through the decades I would choose about nearly 30 RBs who were 1st round (top 3-5) worthy, as well as top 10 worthy (barring injuries or troubles with the law):

Worth a top 3: Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, OJ Simpson, Earl Campbell, Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Terrell Davis, Marshall Faulk, Ladainian Tomlinson, or Adrian Peterson.

Worth a top 10 pick: John Riggins, Curtis Martin, Shaun Alexander, Fred Taylor, Franco Harris, Larry Csonka, Steven Jackson, Eddie George, Robert Smith, Jamal Lewis, Ricky Watters, Tony Dorsett, Jerome Bettis, Ray Rice, LeSeaon McCoy, Maurice Jones-Drew, Clinton Portis, Corey Dillion, Chris Warren, Ricky Williams, and a slew of other running backs who would not be exactly wasted picks, if taken very early in the draft.

Since 2006, here's are some of the names of RBs who have rushed for over 1,000 yards and were taken in the first round:

Adrian Peterson
    Ladainian Tomlinson
    Chris Johnson
    Larry Johnson
    Marshawn Lynch
    Steven Jackson
    Doug Martin
    Thomas Jones

Since 2006, here's are some of the names of RBs who have rushed for over 1,000 yards and were taken in after the 1st Round:

Frank Gore
    Arian Foster
    Tiki Barber
    Maurice Jones-Drew
    Alfred Morris
    Jamaal Charles
    Ray Rice
    LeSean McCoy

You also have to realize it's in comparison to who else is on the board at the running back spot and other positions. Example, I've seen some of these running backs drafted in 2nd and 3rd round, while the guys ahead of them have been rather forgotten and off the active roster after a year or two. In other drafts, it may have been issue of need or simply deep draft pool.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

As far as the trade goes, I thought it was a fair deal:

1) For the Browns, they have a shot at getting a really talented QB in the next draft (Bridgewater, Hundley, Manziel, Murray, Boyd, McCarron and Mariotta), while it doesn't necessarily have to be spent with their earliest pick (their own pick). They definitely need two first round picks.

2) For the Colts, they picked up a player who is definitely worth mid to late first round draft pick in Trent Richardson who has shown some promise on an rather inept offensive team. It's only his second year, while I have to ask some posters ... is Indy really giving away a superstar, especially when they are probably going to be picking fairly late in the draft again. A 7-9 to a 10-6 mark will get you about a 16-25th pick in the draft. That's not necessarily a sure fire player. It's basically comparing one risk with another unilateral risk, and it's for a team that more or less moving into a win now mode.

4. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

i think its a good move but i don't follow them and don't know their needs. they are really on the cusp, i know i'm kind of being wishy washy with my opinion on drafting running backs high but i would hope he has proven himself to be a sure a thing. i don't watch Cleveland browns football so i wouldn't know. i can think of more enjoyable forms of torture.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Late to the party here, but if you had to pick up a 32 yo RB with a history of major knee injuries coming off a broken leg and torn MCL then Mcgahee would be at the top of that list.

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Now info/rumors begin filtering in

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/cleveland_browns_ex-lb_scott_f.html

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Lol. We know.

9. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

I forgot bo jackson

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Think the Colts would like a do-over?

Looks like a good trade for Cleveland.

Laughed at them for signing McGahee to replace Trent but they're getting the last laugh, ha.

#150 J.R., Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's hard to get a a new player acclimated to a new system midseason, which is why we'll never see a ton of trades in the NFL, but yeah, Richardson looks bad. I thought it was a good trade for both teams and genius on Cleveland's part, but now it looks completely lopsided.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Browns stole a 1st round pick from the Colts. Simple as that. Colts have to be kicking themselves.

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

so far Richardson does not look good, but you never know for sure. We will see next year if he is anything close to a first round pick.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Trent Richardson, Thomas Robinson

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Nice job Colts.

[​IMG]

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Colts have waived Richardson.

Full circle:
    Browns pick from Indianapolis was 26th overall
    They traded it [and a 3rd rounder] to Philadelphia for the 22nd pick to select....Johnny Manziel
    Eagles took Marcus Smith at 26
    Eagles traded that 3rd rounder to Houston for 4th and 5th round picks
    Houston took Louis Nix in the 3rd
    Eagles took Jaylen Watkins(4th) and Taylor Hart(5th)

17. Airdough

Airdough Member

That is a multitude of suck. Richardson found a way to wreak havoc on 4 different franchises.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I can admit when I'm wrong.

In terms of attempting to predict the future for Trent, I suck.

Which isn't a bad thing... two other NFL teams did a lot worse than I did. Giving up a 3rd overall pick and 26th overall pick for the same dude in two different drafts.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Can't wait to see him plowing through his own lineman for 1 yard gains.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

While I can't blame the Browns for thinking he had a bright future when they drafted him, almost no RB is worthy of the 3rd pick.

Why anybody in this forum or elsewhere (including the Colts) thought the trade was a good idea escapes me. IMO, it was a complete no-brainer the Colts lost their collective minds. Truly a "just wow" moment when it was announced.