1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colt McCoy, THE GREAT

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Nov 7, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lots of QBs start out their careers as game managers and expand their games as they improve.

Big Ben was like that to name a recent example.

Colt is doing just fine in his ROOKIE year....much to the chagrin of the Longhorn haterz.

DD

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well I'm not saying Colt McCoy sucks, he's playing well. But the Browns are probably hoping he can be a lot more than an average game manager.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

A player that makes almost 70 percent of his passes without throwing picks or getting sacked, with the ability to throw on the run, and can keep offenses honest with his feet, is more than an average game manager. I think almost any team would take that other than the colts would take that.

The only question mark about Colt is if he can throw far enough to keep teams honest.

4. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

I'm interested in seeing how Colt performs if/when the Browns are playing from behind in the second half of a ballgame.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

damn..no sh#t...all this over Colt fn McCoy...

now back on topic, i'm glad he's doing well and winning..to expect a rookie QB to step in day 1 and carry the load on themselves is ridiculous...over time I do believe Colt will do fine...

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Haha... exactly.... The truth hurts him.

7. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Well coming into the league, it was pretty much unanimously agreed that Colt had the desire/poise/smarts to be successful, but his measurables would be what held him back. Personally, I don't think the stage or situation will ever be too big for him.

Before anyone jumps in with the "college is different than pros" argument, let me say that I obviously know that. I'm not saying he will definitely succeed, but from watching him for four years, he never seemed to get really rattled. Texas had a TON of 4th quarter comebacks while he was there and he usually seemed as comfortable vs. OU every year as he did Baylor.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Let me start this off by saying I am an avid UT fan and loved Colt while he played for the Horns. I expected him to win that national championship this past year but we know how that ended.

Now, to compare Colt McCoy the third round pick of last years draft to Ben Rothelisberger the 1st overall pick of the Steelers is OUTRAGEOUS!

He was a game manager back then but didn't need to be called upon to win games because he had such a fantastic defense to rely on. Plus he was a rookie and we all know that as good as you'll be in the future you are the low of the low as a rookie QB in the NFL no matter how much potential.

Colt is doing great by managing the team but he will NEVER be able to blow up as Big Ben did and expand his game the way he has now.

Again I love Colt and all he did at Texas but to compare him to Big Ben is like comparing him to Rivers and Manning of that draft, people will laugh if you bring this argument up in football debate.

9. DaDakota

Hell yeah, we were having a private conversation about something when I was pissed off at Moes and R2K for banning me in chat, and he takes my private IM and forwards it to Moes.

I mean, you never rat someone out, that is the lowest of the lows.....an unforgiveable sin, not to mention I was a bit inebrieated when I was chatting with him.

Now, he thinks it is that bad that there is something to be held over my head...LOL...wtf ever.....

Bottom line is it was a private conversation and the little twirp went running home to momma to tell Moes what I said....

No one likes a rat....no one likes a snitch.....

I can appreciate his HQ vids and hate his weazily self.....

;)

DD

10. DaDakota

Never is a very long time, you may be right you may be wrong.

Some of the best QBs of all time had Colt like arms.....there is more to being an effective QB than a powerful arm.

Quick decision making is more important, Colt has everything but a shotgun arm, I would NEVER say NEVER in regards to what he can become.

Let's just wait and see.....he is already better than many on here thought he would be.....

DD

11. Mr. Clutch

Roethlisberger's first year:

98.1 QB rating, 2,621 yards, 66.4% completion, 8.9 yards/attempt, 17 TDs, 11 INTs,

Yeah, he was a game manager. :rolleyes:

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sam Bradford might end up a Pro Bowler.

McCoy won't be anything special, but hey... let DD keep gloating.

He's compared McCoy to Brees, Montana, and now Roethlisberger.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's not so much people hating the longhorns, it's people hating having to deal with obnoxious jackasses making every UT alum out to be like the next best thing to happen to their respective sports since the games were invented.

People appreciate objective thinking and rational observation, they tend to hate frontrunning jockriders.

BRB makin' my 'Kevin Kolb, the GREAT thread.'

#73 DonnyMost, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Brees and Montana were also game managers.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You do know that he had an amazing team around him (tops in rush O and D) and only threw the ball about 20 times a game on average (while not VY-like, it's still a pretty low number), right? He's a good QB, but don't try to paint it like he was the reason those mid-2000s Pittsburgh teams were awesome. I remember seeing a special on Sportscenter that showed how, out of his 20 attempts per game, over half of them came off playaction, which is insane... people were seriously terrified of the Steelers running game back then.

#75 DonnyMost, Nov 8, 2010
  16. DaDakota

Really, when has anyone been a frontrunning guy when talking about Colt's NFL prospects?

This is pure haterade.

Nice try smooth........I have given examples of people that succeeded when doubted.

Brees - too short
    Montana - no arm strength
    Ben - Game manager only

So far, everyone has come up with excuse after excuse of why Colt can't succeed in the NFL, and yet, he is doing better than expected....

I mean he is winning games for the CLEVELAND Browns for christ sakes......

Come on...that alone is worthy of an ATTABOY !!

DD

17. DaDakota

Wait, what? Are you saying those are great QB numbers?

Seriously?

DD

#77 DaDakota, Nov 8, 2010
  18. Mr. Clutch

I'm not saying he was awesome, or that he didn't have help. What I'm disputing is that he was just a "game manager" in the mold of a Trent Dilfer.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Colt McCoy is winning games for the Cleveland Browns?

mmkay.

He's throwing dump-offs and check downs and not even looking down the field (nobody really to throw to anyway). Looks like another NFL team is just getting that Longhorn QB midas touch.

Anoint him your savior I guess.

And stop with the ridiculous comparisons please.
    Chris Simms could have QB'd the Browns to victory yesterday.

20. Mr. Clutch

Quit hating on UT.