1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colt McCoy, THE GREAT

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Nov 7, 2010.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

He was my favorite college player last year, and I was saddened at the initial rumors/predictions of him playing poorly at the professional level.

I'm hopping on the Browns bandwagon now. Can't wait for the Jets @ Cleveland game next week.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

He had a pretty good game today, in tough circumstances.

But there was plenty of speculation this past week on who would even start this game. Seneca was recovering, and Colt went 9/16 for 74 yards against the Saints. His biggest accomplishment last week was not screwing up and his biggest play was probably the trick play where he was the receiver and caught the ball.

So let's slow down with the revisionist history that he spurned a turn around in the franchise, that he led us to a win last week, that he played well, or that he was even the main reason we beat NE.

He had a good game and I'm really happy for him. We also had a ton of great defensive and special teams play over the past 2 games and Hillis has been in beast mode for which I'm even happier for...particularly because those are the main reasons we've managed these upsets. I've seen Derek Anderson go from super seiyan pro bowl player to the accuracy of a drunk guy at a toilet bowl from one season to the next. So you all will have to forgive me if I'm not anointing Colt our savior just yet.

3. Major

Major Member

Colt's not putting up big numbers (and may never do so), but he's doing what he did at Texas - brilliant game management. First, and most importantly, he's not making any mistakes. No turnovers, no stupid plays, etc. Second, when you have a QB that completes 70% of his passes, you extend a lot of drives. On 3rd and 2, he'll throw for 3 yards. Nothing particularly great on the stat sheet, but that gets you a couple of more opportunities for Peyton Hillis and keeps Tom Brady off the field. He did that all day today - just keeping drives alive, not making mistakes, and managing the offense perfectly.

Ultimately, I feel his arm strength is going to be a liability, but he does have the potential to be the ultimate game manager QB.

4. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

So a Ravens Trent Dilfer at best? I saw a lot of that from what I could see in the NFL.com gameday app thingie. Did alot of that in the Saints game as well. He also caught a 13 yard pass that game.

5. Major

Major Member

That would be my guess - though I think he could make a few more plays than Dilfer. Dilfer was sort of the "don't screw it up" game manager; I think Colt could be the "make 3 or 4 critical plays a game" game manager.

Then again, I didn't think much of Colt's NFL prospects coming into this season, so he's already proving me wrong.

6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Dilfer I believe had a better arm, but even with his performance in the 2000 season, I give the "football IQ" nod to McCoy.

As long as Hillis can keep his production up, Colt should be fine in Cleveland.

7. Asian Sensation

I can't stop laughing at the thread title. Great stuff. LOL

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Trent Dilfer never completed more than 60 percent of his passes and only completed 55 percent for his career.

I'm not saying he's going to be Montana or even close, but that is what Colt's game resembles most. Montana didn't have a strong arm. He was accurate, poised, and was the ultimate game manager and leader.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

From Wikipedia. Does that sound familiar. Like I said before, I'm not saying he is going to be Joe "greatest quarterback of all time" Montana, but lets not put a cap on him.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If dude takes care of the ball, the D keeps it close, and Hillis keeps going apescat, the Browns will be in good shape.

11. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Great block by Cribbs @ 0:08

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Colt McCoy will be the winning NFL Pro Bowl QB before he is done. Young's only chip in the game over McCoy will be the national championship. McCoy will only get better with every passing year (pun intended).

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think any team really wants a "game manager QB." Sometimes they have to settle for one, but ideally that's not what they are looking for. It's just a lot harder to win that way.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

says the 03 Bucks and the 01 ravens

15. Major

Major Member

I think some of that depends on how you define game manager. To the extreme, Troy Aikman was a game manager. He averaged about 200 yards a game. He only threw for 20 TDs once and had less than 1 TD per game during the Superbowl years. He let Emmitt Smith do the work and then made some plays here and there when needed - and was extraordinarily good at it.

I'm not saying Colt could be that - but that's an example of a guy who was never asked to carry his team but was still a great player.

16. Mr. Clutch

Proves my point. They both got rid of their awesome game managers soon after winning the Super Bowl.

17. Mr. Clutch

I wouldn't call Aikman a game manager. He wasn't elite, but he was very good. I am talking about guys like pgabriel mentioned.

18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow itsyourfault... You must have really pissed off DD. I don't see him get this upset with anyone... Not even Sam...

19. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

And have won a ton of Super Bowls since.

20. Major

Major Member

I agree it's not necessarily what you think of with game manager, but I do think it fits the definition at the extremes. Aikman didn't do very much and wasn't asked to do much, but he was extremely good at the limited stuff he was asked to do. So that sort of makes him that ultimate game manager. He wasn't asked to ever put the team on his shoulders and carry them like a Manning or Brees or Brady type.