1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Collusion?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shaggylambda, Dec 9, 2011.

1. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Collusion?!?!?!

Can some of the posters here with a legal background please chime in to help me understand? Is it collusion for the owners of the other 31 NBA teams to block this trade? If I understand this correctly, then the NBA owns the Hornets correct? Does that mean the owners of the other 31 teams also owns part of the Hornets? Isn't there an obvious conflict of interest there. I mean, if I'm an owner of an NBA team, I want to see all the other teams fail on the court. I'm sure Mark Cuban doesn't want to see CP3 go to the Lakers. That would make life harder for his Mav's. I'm sure the owners of the Heat and Celtics feel the same way.
    According to reports, the Cav's owner has an email out there to Stern pleading him to veto the trade. Sounds like grounds for a legitimate lawsuit.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think it is relevent because the other owners also own the Saints, so as shareholders, they have a say in how that franchise is run.

DD

3. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. Please lock if it is.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The NBA owns the Hornets, so I think they're fine. Is like Les Alex not wanting to pull the trigger on a trade. The problem here is why did they wait so long? I mean, it was pretty much a done deal before they stepped in. It shouldn't have gotten to this point.

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Is the Saints case simular to the Hornets case? I'm not trying to be an @$$. I'm just trying to understand. The NBA had to take over the Hornets because they were on the verge of financial collapse correct? So the NBA is trying to make them viable again in order to find a new owner? Is that the same thing that's happening to the Saint's?

6. DaDakota

Crap, brain fart....I meant they own the Hornets.

Since the other owners also own the Hornets they all have equal say on the deal, and if the majority don't want it, the deal is dead.

DD

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im not sure about Collusion in this case, but Stern has already engaged in Collusion with the whole lockout CBA mess. Claims are that Stern made arrangements with new owners like in Golden State, where if they buy the franchise at a certain price, this and that will be taken care of in the new CBA.

With the new CBA, there are were numerous reports of unethical business practice between the owners and the NBA. This is one of the strong claims that the players union has threatened to take the NBA to court on. The reason the players have not pursued is that it was surely shut down the league for years.

8. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

That's my point. Why would any of the owners, except Jerry Buss, want to make the Lakers stronger.

9. DaDakota

They wouldn't, but more than that, they would not want to have to PAY more money out of their own pocket to New Orleans for all their new players.

DD

10. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

So its probably a combination of "**** the Lakers" + "I ain't paying **** for the Hornets" = Veto of the trade

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Also small market owners don't want to see the Lakers get under the luxury tax threshold.

12. cod

cod Member

Not only that the Lakers would have saved millions at the cost of the other owners. Buss was using the Hornets as a salary dumping ground while fleecing the talent. The Lakers are paying in the top end of the new tax scale. It's no longer $1 for $1 but $3.25.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

This isn't a matter of collusion against a player. But collusion against a team owner.

Every owner in the league had equal opportunity to obtain CP3. Most of them called for him. Heck, Cuban desperatedly wanted him. And the funny thing about him complaining is that he as the defending national champs don't seem to have a problem with adding probably the best PG for his team. But he has a problem said PG on a team he beat.

The owners agreed to the rules. heck, they wrote them. It's called the CBA. They just locked out the players for these rules. And now right after they wrote the rules they are calling it BS because they never bothered to correct the inherent unfairness(glamor cities, max salary so superstars can collude, etc.)

Les and Jerry Buss has a case against other owners. But it's not the same as teams colluding against players.

14. DaDakota

Exactly.....

DD

15. BleedsRocketRed

Guys guys guys...

This deal had train wreck written all over the place. You know damn well the majority of owner in the NBA (who are all part owners of the Hornets) will NOT want anything to do with helping the Lakers get a top 5 player while saving the Lakers millions and adding a lot more committed salary to their own pockets.

Lamar Odom wanted nothing to do with new Orleans
    Pau Gasol wanted nothing to do with Houston
    You know damn well both of their agents probably had their paws on it too since both have invested millions into their current locations.

This is what you get when the majority interest of the group of owners is to save their additional costs, and help the intrests of their primary team. It was NEVER going to work.

The Hornets are probably better off letting Paul walk. It gives the team a clean slate, an easy sell without a large financial obligation. That, or deep down in the dark meetings of the NBA and its owners, they plan on contracting the team. Shed all salary, keep costs down then close the doors. No reason to commit salaries long term if in the end, the team won’t exist long term.

No matter how much we piss and moan, the Hornets are the leagues team. They write the checks, they pay the bills, they have (and should have) the final say in their teams decisions. There are way too many self interests, and millions involved for the league and owners to do nothing. The league should have never purchased the team. That is the main issue here. Not this Paul trade. Too many self interestes involved for a fair field of play trade and free agent wise.

I honestly expected this. It’s just sad what the league has become.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Are you saying that there are 34 teams in the league? Because there are only 30. There are only 27 "other NBA teams".

17. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Thats a good point. Through all of the lockout, I thought the main issue was for the NBA to fix thier business structure. (Hard Cap, non guarnateed contracts, profit sharing, ect.) It didn't seem like many of those issues were fixed. The main item that was publicized was the split of the bascketball revenue between the owners and players.

18. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Sorry, brain fart along the lines of DD. I kept thinking football with 32 teams when I said 31. I was only excluding NO. I should have said 29 other teams.

19. DaDakota

I may have been wrong, there was a post talking in another thread about the owners appointing Demps as a way to avoid conflict of interest.

If that is the case, there could be a case here.....and the trade might just go down after all.

DD

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Right..but who brings the case? Who has standing to complain? Presumably, CP3 isn't a party to whatever agreement the owners entered into with respect to the management of NOLA's team.

Seems to me the only parties that have right to make the argument are the Rockets and Lakers.