1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Collier!..He looks so slow!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXRAN, Oct 19, 2001.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'm sorry. But I am pretty disappointed with Collier's apparent lack of quickness. He seems to be a lot slower than he should be. I understand he doesn't have to be as quick as Cat, but Come on ..,errrr :mad:

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

If he can block-out, rebound and throw a decent outlet pass he doesn't have to be a rabbit.

Colly can play a role on this team and with zone defense rules his lack of quickness and foot speed with be somewhat covered. We can also use his shooting range when we run the 1/2 court sets. Remember there have been a lot of big, slow guys who've managed to fill roles in the NBA for years (Longley for example).

3. Houstone

Houstone Member

The Rockets need an extra center, in case Collier or Cato get hurt...

4. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

5.:confused: Collier is a big white slug!! 5.:confused:

Can somebody get Eddie Griffin an VIP membership to marble slab, or anywhere he can put on about 50 lbs. Another inch or so and we have our future Center.

Even Rudy mentioned the other day that Eddie could see some time at the

5. Houstone

Houstone Member

If Patrick Ewing is movin faster, than you must really be slow...

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really don't like the looks of Jason Collier out there. I understand he still needs to condition, but, come on...he was making Ewing look like he did before he suffered from The Dream. He was...lost. He was...not good at all.

Oh yeah. OSCAR TORRES RULES BAYBEE! KOBE, MEET YO MATCH!!!

7. preacher

preacher New Member

Collier, come on man, he remines me of Billy Paultz with blonde hair. Anyway, I'm not too down on the guy because I know he will be an asset in Rudy's current system.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's quite evident that we need a third center.Cato and Collier are just not enough.

9. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

Yeah, Ike was way more effective out there tonight than Collier. I think this was his best pre-season game.

I LIKE IKE!

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Collier is almost too slow. i saw him box out and a guard ran by a got the rebound. If atheletes can become better shooters, how come shooters can't become better atheletes? That guys is horrible. Another wasted pick. When Mihm was there on the board and all the deals were going around i was wondering why we didn't get him. Collier sux big time.

11. ROXRAN

Yea, Ike looked pretty strong!

12. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Collier is so fast he just looks slow to the unaided eye!:p

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM:(

CATO - already injured. Don't know whether his psyche or body is more fragile. Even when healthy, he is nothing special. Somewhere along the way he has lost his quickness and his legs. And he never had a heart in the first place.

COLLIER - has redefined the term "slug." He is even slower than last year. Don't understand why his injury has taken so long to "come around." Makes Billy Paultz look like Barry Sanders.

Have only seen a handful of games but I am majorly concerned. We gotta pull off a deal for a hard nosed, rebounding big man or this team may have trouble making the playoffs.

13. Swami

Swami Member

Collier is most assuredly not starter material. Given Cato's injury history, we are in big trouble this season without another center. Collier has thus far in his career proven to be just as injury prone as Cato. At least we know Ike will play even with a broken nose. Nawanko is a true tough guy!!! The ONLY GOOD THING I can say about Collier is trading down to get him last year (instead of Pryzbilla) netted us the 23rd pick in this years draft which we then used to get Eddie Griffin. Collier may pay off in the long run only because of Griffin. Where is that darn kitty, you can usually count on the feline to explain away all of Collier's deficiencies. Let me be objective and try to fill in the other side for this forum, "We really shouldn't judge Collier after only 4 years in college and one year in the bigs. If we would only give him a 6 year contract extension so we had more time to evaluate his true athletic potential." ;) Oh yes, and then there is always that classic defense that we could envoke for Collier "one game does not a season make". What an ugly box score 27min, 2-8 fg, 2-4 ft, 2 boards, 4 fouls, 2 TOs, 6 pts against Ewing and DeClercq. Everyone has a bad game now and again, but were in BIG TROUBLE if thats what we get from our starting 5 for any length of time this season. How about the one play where Collier took it to the rack hard only to be fouled by Andrew DeClercq resulting in Collier missing the shot and hitting the floor hard. If Collier was just one-half step quicker, he dunks it and gets the foul shot for a possible 3 point play. I'll give Collier credit for working hard over the summer trying to beef up to bang down low, but IMO the foot speed and the athletic ability to play at this level are just flat-out missing. Cato was managing 10 pts and 8 boards per this preseason ---- get well soon Cato!

#13 Swami, Oct 20, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2001
  14. Miggidy Markell

Cato's injury isn't too serious. He is only sitting out because Rudy is being cautious and he wants to evaluate the bench players.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When they said he added muscle, I was wondering why. His strength was fine, all he had to do is tone up. I don't see why he couldn't get some agility drills. I forgot he had surgery on his leg. This is when I wish the nbdl was team affiliated. Collier, Langhi could be sent down for more developing while being used later. I just don't see Collier doing too much

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Isn't this an awful lot of talk for a back-up center? I mean, damn, he's a back-up, what were you guys expecting?

17. BTM

BTM Member

I laughed when the Collier/Przybilla trade went down. You just knew they were gonna be 2 huge stiffs so it didn't matter either way.

Personally though, I'd rather have the Fresh Pryz of Milwaukee over Slugboy Collier.

18. Band Geek Mobster

You guys need to remember that the draft pick we received in the Collier-Pryz trade helped us acquire Eddie Griffin...so the Collier deal didn't suck that much...

19. ROXRAN

True, BGM...but I think we have very serious concerns at the Center position.

20. Band Geek Mobster

I agree, that's why I was on HP's side of the bet...:(