1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football]Texas A&M @ University of Texas - Austin

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by percicles, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Major

Major Member

In 3 of our last 4 games, Nebraska, Texas Tech, and K-State hung with us just fine. A&M's not much different than those teams. And, as Madmax said, this is not a top 5 team right now.

That said, we have the huge advantage of being home in this one where we've played much, much better than on the road.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nobody said Texas was a top 5 team.. ...the original statement was that IC2000 harbors the [maroon colored] belief that Texas A&M can play with anybody in the country but for their coaching issues which will ultimately prove the difference......I find it doubtful to think Texas A&M would not get curbstomped by, say, Ohio State or even Michigan regardless of who is coaching them....given that they have not exactly set the world on fire this year.

3. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Good Post Major.

The Aggies could easily be undefeated right now. They played Nebraska close, Nebraska had UT beat but gave the game to them on that fumble. Texas Tech played the Aggies tight and won on a last second play, and they had the horns down until the end of the game. I'm pretty sure the aggies could beat Kansas State. I don't see how anyone wouldn't think this would be a close game. I think it will, I think Texas, knowing that are out of the NC race may be somewhat unmotivated. I think it will be a close game and Texas will probably pull it out only because they are playing at home.

But i'm sticking to my prediction I made right before the Kansas State game that the aggies would beat UT this year. Just for King of 40 acres. This couger will be wearing maroon on Friday.

4. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

are these the same nebraska and texas tech who should have beat ut this year?

5. IC2000

with texas yes, maybe not ohio state and the real top 5 teams

6. IC2000

i meant that we could hang with anyone we play this year, obviously not ohio state

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Seriously folks let's analize this. Aggies offensive strength is running the football. Longhorns rank #1 in the nation at stopping the run. The Longhorn weakness lies in the secondary (over aggresiveness in stopping the run if you ask me) which means that if the aggies have any chance in hell of winning Noodles is going to have to throw deep and with accuracy. Which judging from the only 2 games A&M has had broadcast, Noodles ain't the man for the job. Those winky dink east west passes aren't going anywhere.

What you can expect is Noodles going pugalist on the option for a 2 yard gain, getting knocked the f*ck out by (insert any longhorn), and rising back up hands in the air as if he just won the Fiesta bowl. Getting wacked does not mean your a leader.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Us Aggs have lost 3 games by a total of 6 points! I say coaching, could be the young offense (ya right). Texas should be pretty scared to play us. However with the loss to Kstate as motivation I think yall handle us with ease. Shame. Never got to see a TAMU victory at Texas in my time at A&M...

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

What's funny and sad is that the 1st year I was at A&M, we were ranked #4 in the preseason in football and #40992881 in basketball. Everyone in the school newspaper picked the football team to win the national championship. The summer before that season, I met a backup running back named Sammy Morris in Lubbock at a speech and debate tourney...real nice guy. He turns out to score the winning touchdown for Tech that year, that knocks A&M out of the national championship run, and begins the streak of Tech domination vs us.

That was the year the Bonfire stack collapsed when I was studying across the street. :( Maybe it was the emotion that carried the football team that year (I am no football expert by any means), but somehow our crappy ass offense scored enough points and the great defense willed its way to stopping UT. That was the only A&M win in this series I have ever witnessed.

Since then I've met/got to know/befriended many players from both sides of the rivalries. Overall, these guys work their butts off when they're not drunk or high. (Not trying to start anything, but back when I knew everyone, and I mean everyone from all sides, everyone was either working out, drunk, or high...do a search on my old posts from 5 years ago...but high on both teams...except for Roy Williams...didn't know him too well, for he was always professional and somewhat recluse, business like...)

So anyhow, I'm not connected anymore, and while I want the A&M football team to win, I'm not sure if Fran is the right coach long-term, in my amateur opinion. UT is cool and all, but 7 games in a row is way too much. The Horns finally got to end their misery against the Sooners last year, so I think it's about damn time that A&M broke this losing streak.

10. Major

Major Member

Aggies will have their chance to fire Fran next year if they want. Barring major improvement (certainly a possibility) @Miami, @Nebraska, @OU, @Tech, @Mizzou along with Texas at home will be hell on their overall record. This was really the year for Fran to buy some time with their entire schedule at home, basically. A few better decisions and they are 10-1 or 11-0 coming into this game, and Fran has bought himself a few more years.

11. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

If Texas plays the French, I root for the French.

However, there is no way in Hades that A&M beats Texas at DKR this year AFTER Texas gets upset the game before. Impossible. Not going to happen.

UT 38 (all in first half)
    TAMU 10

BTW, the comment about Fran's contract renewing for 5 years after every year is correct.

12. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

who in there right mind would sign that kind of deal? oh thats right...an aggie

hahahhhahahahhaha ;)

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

The University of Texas

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

every team in college could be undefeated.

Only if certain teams didn't allow seven touchdowns on them, that team would have won.

if this team only stopped them on fourth and 55, they would be undefeated and be the greatest team ever.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

There's a football game in Texas this weekend? I guess I'll tune in. The excitement will be in Stillwater on Saturday.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

May I ask how much you paid to watch the Sooners stick it up the Pokes rear?

17. updawg

updawg Member

Thats insane if true... :confused: :eek:
    This further reinforces the reasons for aggie jokes. :D

(btw, I too predict a close game, hopefully a Texas blowout, but I have a feeling it will be like last year, A&M is just loaded at RB)

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Two things work against A&M. Texas will be pissed for blowing it versus KSU. It is at Texas. I think a frenzied Texas team lays a lot of frustration out on the Aggies.

Had Texas beaten KSU where they might be tight going for style points, or if it was in Aggieland, I would be worried. But neither is the case, this is a bad time and situation for the Aggies to draw Texas.

19. updawg

updawg Member

I hope you're right, I just remember some of the older Texas teams could come out down after that loss. Hopefully this will be like the recent teams and come out pissed

20. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I think the Horns are helped a lot by the fact they are playing thier hated rivals.

I think a team with A&M's athletes who wasn't a arch-nemesis could probably hang a 3rd loss on the Horns who are probably a little bruised about being out of the National Championship picture.

But since it is the Aggies the Horns will go all out and probably win by a couple touchdowns.