1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Predictions: 11-16-02

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by mduke, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Major

Major Member

b) There is so much parity: the days of the undefeated season are going to be rare from now on so you will have teams b****ing always

This is something Mack Brown repeats every year after our annual loss to OU, but look at all the recent national champions:

Miami, OU, Tenn, FlaSt, Neb (3 times?), Michigan, Florida

Except for Florida, I believe every one of those national champions went undefeated. The undefeated teams aren't going anywhere. In fact, this year we had more undefeateds in November than ever.

2. Dirt

Dirt Member

DVauthrin,
    I REALLY,REALLY,hope Texas gets to play a "mediocre" Big Ten team like,say,Penn State. That'd be another easy Bowl win for Joe Pa.

3. Major

Major Member

Georgia took advantage of a weak SEC

big ten is a horrid horrid major conference

If the big ten is the most overrated conference in America, the Pac 10 is a close second

I find this interesting. We have 6 major conferences. You say 3 of them suck. I think we all agree that the ACC sucks. So that leaves the B12 and BEast. If you start with the premise that every other conference sucks, then of course all those teams are overrated and the B12 schools will look good. I'm not sure we can fairly make the claim that every other conference sucks, though.

4. austinite

austinite Contributing Member

Hey if TT loses to OU which I think will happen but you never know, then Texas might play LSU in the cotton bowl and that would be a pretty entertaining match up, what do y'all think?

5. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Horrible homer logic. News flash: PennState, UM, and even Perdue, are all real teams, none less than Nebraska that is. OSU beats tech soundly. OK?

yeh, we lost, but they are all overrated. LOL

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Pennstate is decent, but they are not special, Purdue-i dont want to hear about all the close losses-that is team that has no clue how to finish games.

And you are talking about the down Michigan Wolverines, this team got embarassed at home by Iowa, barely beat a terrible Wisconsin team at home, and should've lost at the big house to a 5-5 Washington team. I'm sorry, I am not calling the big ten overrated to make Texas look good, I am calling it overrated because look at their performance the last 3 or 4 years.

If you think barely winning at Purdue, Wisconsin, and Illnois, all mediocre at best, teams makes you special Think again.

I also notice from watching big ten football, they do not have the athletes at say Texas, Miami, OU, etc-not in the waves of them at least.

Sorry if I am not impressed at all by the brand of football that is played in the Big Ten, and beating Nebraska was the only game outside of maybe Virginia that qualify as good wins.

I don't hate every major conference, but call me crazy I do not think the Big Ten has been much to write home about for 3 years now, and OSU is not a real national championship caliber team most years. Tressel has done a good job, but I think Miami or OU will run them ragged.

You arent talking to an unobjective Texas fan here, I know my sports and I have watched my fair share of college football this year.

7. michecon

Pennstate is decent, but they are not special, Purdue-i dont want to hear about all the close losses-that is team that has no clue how to finish games.

I was just gonna laugh, but now I worry about your logic. Special? What's your definition? I know I didn't talk about Pennstate being special. Remember, you were talking about overrated, now PSU is 16, prove to me why they are overrated?

Perdue is not rated, well, so is Nebraska, and you were using Nebraska in proving Texas is far superior?

And you are talking about the down Michigan Wolverines, this team got embarassed at home by Iowa, barely beat a terrible Wisconsin team at home, and should've lost at the big house to a 5-5 Washington team.

Well, they played their worst game vs IOWA. Wisky with their RB and QB healthy is actually a worthy team, they can soundly beat Ok State anytime. You just don't know enough big10 football. And barely beat, should have lost? Like Texas vs Nebraska or Ok State? Should we call UT overrated?

I also notice from watching big ten football, they do not have the athletes at say Texas, Miami, OU, etc-not in the waves of them at least.

This maybe is true, but does this matter that much? Is simms a better QB than Banks on paper before season starts? What do you call a dissappointing program with all the talent in the world like UT? Is it not called overrated?

Sorry if I am not impressed at all by the brand of football that is played in the Big Ten, and beating Nebraska was the only game outside of maybe Virginia that qualify as good wins.

So, you think WSU, WU, TTech etc are all worse than Neb? LOL

OSU is not a real national championship caliber team most years.

So what? We are talking about this season. If they can take care of their business, all power to them.

You arent talking to an unobjective Texas fan here,

How can I not know? ;)

8. mduke

mduke Member

How can I not know?
    Because I'll tell you.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

How about that 84 yard strike to BJ when the game was on the line in the fourth quarter? Kingsbury's good, but when he hits a receiver perfectly in stride between two defenders 60 yards downfield, I want to see it.

10. DVauthrin

Michecon,

1. When I used PSU as an example, and said they were not special, it's my way of saying they aren't a team a conference can use as a crutch to stand on. Are they overrated, no. But they would equate to a VERY inconsistent big 12 team like CU.

2. When I used Neb and Virginia wins as an example that was on PSU's schedule.

3. The reason I used Neb as a quality win for UT is they are 73-2 in LINCOLN their last 75 home games. Both losses by Texas, they are a different group at home.

4. Ohio State has gotten it done, but come on, you have had a joke of a schedule, barely beaten mediocre opponents on the road and you can't understand my skepticism. Wisconsin is a bad team, the wheels had come off well before the OSU game, and it took a miracle for you guys to beat Purdue, who is about as good as Ok State in the big 12.

5. Texas overlooked Oklahoma State, the week before the biggest game of the season, but it took some lousy officials to give OSU a chance as well. Ask longhorn fans at the game, I am not making excuses or making it up.

Texas didnt also deserve to lose vs Neb. That pass interference call on Roy Williams was bs. If it wasn't called NU never gets ball back, game over.

Michigan had to have Washington come out of a timeout with 12 men on the field not to lose-at home too. And who has IOWA beaten, Michigan and Penn State-fair enough, but then again they lost to Iowa State, who is decent but not that good. I watched IOWA vs Minnesota this week, that was nothing to write home about.

Also you guys beat WSU at HOME. Plus WSU was the ideal non conference opponent for any big ten team, as it is the usual pass happy pac 10 team, plus you played Tech the week before. If that wasn't good preparation I don't know what is.

We beat practically an equal KState on the ROAD. I'll give you one thing, you took care of Tech, although not in Tortilla flying Lubbock, in Columbus. Still good job.

Brad Banks is a good player, but come on, you have to have some athletes to contend with the Miami's, Texas's etcof the world, and that is one area the big ten sorely lacks. Besides the fact they play primarily old fashioned hit you in the mouth football which worked awhile ago but with today's defenses is outdated.

Ohio State has done their job, but do I believe they are even close to the 2nd best team in the country? No way. I think and you can b**** at me all you want, you line up Texas vs OSU and you guys would be in trouble, because we are a better version of WSU. And you are almost identical to Kansas State except they have a much more mobile qb in Roberson, but you have better WR's, and the defenses are about equal.

Is Ohio State good? Yes. But I don't think they belong in a NC game, from watching them play. Neither does Texas, until we learn to play every Saturday. But that doesn't take away from my point.

And PSU, is about as good as Colorado in the big 12, in that range, with Michigan right around CU as well. But after your front 4 teams, the rest of the big ten . Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, MSU, Wisconsin, Indiana-those teams are all worse than the Iowa State Cyclones or perhaps the Aggies, who are an average big 12 team. The only 2 bad teams in the big 12 are KU/BU. and we have a better top with KSU, UT, OU, CU. and a deeper and better middle.

#50 DVauthrin, Nov 17, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2002
  11. michecon

DV:

For the record, I'm not a OSU fan, I don't even like them. But if a team can work miracle, it's a good teem. Well, I guess you can say NE is overrated also, but they are superball champs.

IOWA lost to ISU at the begining of the season. They had plenty of chance to beat them. I personally think they are better than OSU.

OSU's schedule is a bit easy since they don't need to play IOWA and MSU this year. But knowing UT's schedule and to say they have a JOKE of schedule is a bit of a strech. OSU at least layed some worthy non-conf teams. Can OSU beat OU in a head to head? Chances are not good, but that barely matters, since OU self-destructed.

BTW, CU might play for the big12 chamo game, PSU is 4th in the big 10.

I don't even want to get into a debated if big12 is better overall then big10. I don't necessary agree, but that's at least debatable.

It's just a bit amusing that you call yourserlf standard bearer of big 12, lose games to "average team", then turn around and say: they are all overrated.

12. DVauthrin

Texas lost to a slightly above avg Tech team, it wasn't acceptable, but on the whole I do think we are up in the cream of the conference.

I would agree that Iowa is better than OSU, but I dont think the buckeyes are very good after seeing them this season.

And I'm pretty sure you are a michigan fan, please tell me you think this UM team is not as good as in years past?

Well the North is a lot weaker than the South in the Big 12 btw.

13. michecon

please tell me you think this UM team is not as good as in years past?

This UM team is not as good as teams in years past. They are still good, but not great, mainly b/c they are 1) inconsistent 2) O-line average. 3) No big star to count on 4) Un-special team.

But if the QB comes to play, they are still capable. We will reduce your pain of watching OSU at No2 next Saturday ;)

14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

DV-
    OSU has done it's job all year long. Texas didn't (and noone else has except Miami). Bottom line. End of that discussion.

As for the Big 10 being weak. Well OSU and Iowa are both top 5 in the nation. Michigan is around 10th (losses to 2 otehr top 10 schoold in Iowa and ND). Guess if Micigan sucks then Texas really blows hard. Penn State is a top 15 school.

Who knows maybe my Bucks will get beat this weekend, if it happens it happens. If not I'll be in Tempe!

So take your memories of being a pre-season #1. Texas has the best talent in the country and you lost to a team that most of you said was not a good non-conference win by OSU.

Beat Michigan!

15. The Cat

First off, did OSU play Tech in Lubbock? If not, then it's no comparison... you really need to check Tech's home vs. road record in the last few years, and their statistics in both places.

Also, I'm not saying that I definitely disagree with you, but IF the conference is weak, then it's only logical for some top teams to only have zero or one loss, since they're not really playing anyone. It is worth noting that Iowa, who went undefeated and looked dominant in beating the Big 10, lost a non-conference game to Iowa State, a pretty mediocre Big 12 team.

I'm kind of on the fence on this... I don't think the Big 10 is as bad as some say-- I think there are some good teams-- but I don't think it's above average either. But pointing out the rankings really isn't a good argument, because if the teams are below average then it makes it much easier for any above average team to look great.

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Cat I guess the way we'll find out is to comapre Bow records. I don't have proof that the Big 10 is better but we have a lot of good, solid teams that will be very competive in the Bowls.

Guess we'll wait to 1/5/03 and chack conference Bowl records.

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

haha I guess Drew got a job then (since he was correct)?

18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

They dominated a Tech team, who UT just lost to.

19. mduke

mduke Member

The Big 12 will have at least 9, possibly 10 bowl teams if Mizzou beats KSU.....

20. The Cat

Tell me, where were the two games played?