1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Predictions: 11-16-02

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by mduke, Nov 15, 2002.

1. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Those graduation rates are stupid. Players that leave early for the pros simply don't need to graduate.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

How many OU players left early? Name one.

3. Major

Major Member

These grad rates are measured 6 yrs out, I believe. The 4% is for the players that were recruited in 1996 or so and doesn't include any of Stoops' players.

4. mduke

mduke Member

How many OU players left early? Name one.
    Roy Williams.

5. gr8-1

touche. You got me there. I think Charles Thompson left early as well.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well what do you ****ing know

7. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Yeah great game by Chrissy.....

CHOKE!

:p

kidding

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Simms did fine today.

It was our idiotic defense who blew this one.

And congrulations from one angry, angry longhorn fan.

And this team was not overrated.

9. Major

Major Member

If we can't shut down the Tech offense, we lose. I don't think we win this one close.

See? :(

Well, no need to worry about the BCS or whether WSU or Iowa passes us, etc!

10. mduke

mduke Member

Where do you guys see UT falling in the polls? Around 8?

11. Major

Major Member

Where do you guys see UT falling in the polls? Around 8?

Just a guess, but I think around #10. I think we fall beyond all the 1-loss teams (obviously) and below USC, K-State, and Michigan. Yeah, we beat KSU, but they've looked outright dominant the last two weeks. Beating Nebraska and ISU by 30-40 points each - wow.

12. mduke

mduke Member

I'd put them above Notre Dame......here's what I think the polls will look like:
    1. Miami
    2. Ohio State
    3. Oklahoma
    tie- 3. Washington State
    5. Iowa
    6. Georgia
    7. KSU
    8. Texas
    9. USC
    10. Notre Dame

13. gr8-1

Simms completed the easiest TD passes in the world. He is hte definition of average. There wasn't a throw he made that Kingsbury couldn't.

this team is talented, but very overrated and undisciplined. Pathetic. I don't know how they beat KSU and UNL.

14. Major

Major Member

15. DVauthrin

I guess those throws to BJ and that 3rd td to Roy-look where it was placed, were average :rolleyes:

If you wish to pin this one on Chris so be it. But don't tell me our defense did not make Kingsbury look a lot better than he is.

It's called Bump and Run, Tech's wr's are small, jam them at the line, do not back off of them.

I do agree we need changes, but we were not overrated. I understand being pissed off, because so am I, and I do want Davis gone and unsure on Reese.

We beat KSU, I am unimpressed by Iowa, Georgia and Ohio State, WSU as well along with ND.

We didn't come to play, defensively, bottom line. But I follow college football, and the big ten is the most overrated conference in America. Georgia took advantage of a weak SEC and got incredibly lucky saturday, and ND deserved to lose to Navy. I can't comment on WSU but they seem like the usual pass happy pac-10 team to me, and in my opinion USC is the cream of that conference.

So we were not overrated. Tell me again, who has OSU dominated, or WSU or Georgia or Miami? If you want to use a bad tennessee or florida team as domination by miami go ahead, but the SEC sucks this year.

Mack needs to be a little less nice, but all in all, who can we get that is a better all around coach?

I'm not making excuses for yesterday-we didnt come to play defensively. But damnit, I am f**** sick and tired of UT fans bashing on Chris when he plays a stellar game. If you think he is a bad college qb so be it, but there is no reason for him to be blamed on Saturday.

If I were Simms, I don't think I would have come to Texas if I knew this was how I was going to be treated. He had to deal with the Major facists-and look at the numbers, Applewhite did not have a better career than Simms. Understand, I am extremely mad, losing to TTU is unacceptable, sorry Drewdog, but for anyone to pin this game on Simms is ridiculous.

I am not defending Texas here, as our D forgot saturday was game day, but to say we were overrated considering the teams in the top 10 this year is absurd, and to blame Simms after his game yesterday is even more absurd.

Congrats Tech fans, on a nice win, and we deserve our fate. I just want rational arguments from people not let's blame Chris for everything even though he plays outstanding.

Cut the guy some slack, it's like we expected him to be God reincarnated or something, and no one can succeed under that pressure.

Anyways good job Tech, and I hope we figure this out soon.

DVauthrin,

A frustrated UT fan.

16. Major

Major Member

We beat KSU, I am unimpressed by Iowa, Georgia and Ohio State, WSU as well along with ND.

I'd agree on Georgia and ND, but Iowa and WSU are very very good teams, in my opinion. More on OSU below.

So we were not overrated. Tell me again, who has OSU dominated, or WSU or Georgia or Miami?

OSU dominated the Texas Tech team that threw all over our defense. They also dominated WSU. Bottom line is that none of those teams has lost to a Texas-Tech type team.

OSU is the definition of what we're not. The great teams make the big plays when they have to. Defenses will invariably have bad days. So will offenses. The great teams overcome those performances - if the defense is stinking, the offense will take up the slack. If the offense is stinking, the defense will pitch the shutout. OSU does this. I think they suck too, but they make every big play when they absolutely must, and that's what ultimately counts. I think that streak will end next week, but they deserve credit for doing what they needed thus far.

We're the exact opposite. When our defense sucks, our offense can't overcome it (this was a battle of offenses and we blinked first yesterday). When our offense sucks, our defense can't hold them down (OU this year).

#36 Major, Nov 17, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2002
  17. gr8-1

OSU simply finds a way to win. Tressel is only in his second year. Wow.

UT is about 3 plays away from a 5 loss season. Of course, good teams do make their own breaks, but Lord bailed us out as did KSU's kicking game. KSU would beat UT right now.

18. drapg

drapg Member

why is it that everyone expects UT to fall below KSU (AP already announced it) this week but the entire nation was up-at-arms at the idea of OU dropping below Texas last week?

UT beat KSU, with similar records (9-2) Texas should be ranked higher. And don't gimme this BS about how dominating KSU has looked in the past few weeks. Up to last week Texas had beaten three solid Big XII opponents (ISU, KSU, NEB) and Baylor.

its the exact same situation. OU lost to an unranked team, dropped in the standings, but stayed above TEX in the BCS b/c they beat us head-to-head.

TEX lost to an unranked team, we will drop in the standing, but WE BETTER stay above KSU in the BCS b/c we beat them head-to-head.

:mad:

19. DVauthrin

I have not seen enough of WSU or Iowa to comment, but that game against Minnesota did not tell me anything about Iowa, nor does beating a very mediocre Wolverine team. Put it this way: I want to see them play a real team first, the big ten is a horrid horrid major conference and has been that way for the last few years.

WSU-They are good, but how good. If the big ten is the most overrated conference in America, the Pac 10 is a close second, if they want to be a power conference start bringing the defense.

We made our own bed, but beating Kstate in Manhattan and Nebraska in lincoln are still good wins, no matter how close they were.

Here is why we need a playoff:

a) some conferences are a lot weaker than others-big ten, big east(miami gets teams like rutgers, syracuse, uconn, temple, west virginia, etc), and the big ten is horribly mediocre.

b) There is so much parity: the days of the undefeated season are going to be rare from now on so you will have teams b****ing always

I think a 16 team playoff, with the 6 major conf winners getting auto bids(P-10, B-10, B-12, ACC, SEC, B-EAST) and the other 10 based on the BCS would be about as fair as we can get)

Make the season 11 games, no conf championships and eliminate the month off before bowl games.

And you can keep the lesser bowls for other teams if you wish.

20. Major

Major Member

why is it that everyone expects UT to fall below KSU (AP already announced it) this week but the entire nation was up-at-arms at the idea of OU dropping below Texas last week?

First off, no one was "up in arms" about it. There were lots of people on both sides of the coin here. Personally, I thought OU could and would stay ahead of us because in the weeks following the UT-OU game, OU looked far more dominating a team. They destroyed ISU whereas we just beat them. They destroyed CU, whereas we squeaked by KU & NU. If were to play them again, I have no reason to think the outcome would be any different. They did nothing to change the thought that they are still better than us.

UT beat KSU, with similar records (9-2) Texas should be ranked higher. And don't gimme this BS about how dominating KSU has looked in the past few weeks. Up to last week Texas had beaten three solid Big XII opponents (ISU, KSU, NEB) and Baylor.

KSU did dominate the last two weeks. They absolutely destroyed two teams - ISU and NU - that we just beat. They looked much better than we did and deserve to be ranked higher. I don't see the problem.

In the OU-TX case, both teams had one loss. Looking at it from a best-wins perspective, OU had the better wins and thus should have been ranked higher. In the TX-KSU case, both teams have two losses. KSU has the better wins (dominating ISU, NEB, and beating USC) than Texas (beating KSU, NEB, ISU) and thus could be ranked higher.

I don't think anyone would have gone nuts if OU-TX were flipped last week or if TX-KSU were flipped this week.