1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] Butch Davis to UNC-Chapel Hill?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by percicles, Oct 23, 2006.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

The coaching carousel is getting started. The biggest catch might end up at UNC-Chapel Hill. Aggies can cross out their #1 replacement for Fran. Hell, at this point they should consider themselves lucky if they can snatch Greg Davies away from UT-Austin.

#1 percicles, Oct 23, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I didn't read the whole thing, but why would Rich Rodriguez want to go from a powerhouse in West Virginia to UNC?

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Mack : Greg

Francis : Mobley

Mack got Greg a head coaching job once. Greg lasted three years and ran back to Mack. Their "relationship" has lasted longer than most of us have been alive. If men could have common law marriage, Greg would be Greg Davis Brown.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Cause it's West Virginia.

5. Glish21

Glish21 Member

First off its very doubtful Fran will get fired so I don't this A&M will be looking for a new coach. With Fran's contract extension from a couple of years ago it would not be so feasible to continue paying him and a new coach.

Rich Rodriguez attended and played cornerback at West Virginia so I highly doubt he would take a step down to coach UNC. His contract at WVU runs through at least 2009.

I guess Butch Davis is a possibility but I would think he could get a job at a better football school, but if a five year contract is that much of a priority then it could happen.

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Every school that wants a new coach is talking about Butch Davis right now. Hell, up here at the U of Arkansas, where I go to school, people are hoping that we do really well this year so some other school offers Houston Nutt some cash to come to their school...Why? So the U of Arkansas can hire Butch Davis. Not that it would ever happen in a million years, but writers at every school that is going to be looking for a coach are going to speculate about Davis.

#6 SirCharlesFan, Oct 23, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  7. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Considering I'm at Miami and live in Alabama, I'm kind of shocked to read about what was written about both schools.

I understand people in Alabama have been amazingly underwhelmed by Shula, but I can't imagine any scenario in which he would be fired. Sure he's a mediocre coach, but Alabama's defense lost seven starters and this is only the first year that JP Wilson is the starter (Just for reference, the last 4 QBs for Alabama went 8-4 in their first seasons as full-time starters; the Tide is now 5-3).

The biggest complaint about Shula is the uninventive offense; unfortunately, it seems like there's never enough Tressels, Stoops, and Meyers available.

And Miami expects to be in top contention for Davis. Coker's future was pretty much decided after the Louisville game, but the brawl didn't help. Problem for the AD is that Coker is the nicest guy in the world and always seems to say the right things.

I understand why Davis would be interested in the Alabama job if he's not a true college town guy -- the history, tradition, following, and most importantly facilities at UA are all brand new.

At Miami, the facilities (outside of the decent weight room and best strength coach in the nation, college or pro) are one of the worst in Division I and improvements are years away.

But anyway, good thinking by UNC to start planning ahead.