1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cole Aldrich, Daequan Cook and Lazar Hayward- can they help?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matador, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Matador

Matador Member

Will the James Harden trade "throw in"players: Cole Aldrich, Daequan Cook and Lazar Hayward make any impact for the Rockets? Discuss.

2. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Cole Aldrich can definitely help the Rockets as a Backup Center. Daequan Cook can also be a 3 point shooter off the bench but i think we will waive him and some playoff team might pick him up. As for Lazar Hayward I think the rockets will waive him also.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

First gotta see who gets cut. I say Cook is our much needed elite 3pt shooter, Aldrich a suitable backup C. Hayward is not needed but still better than some of our other backup 3s.

4. torocan

torocan Member

Aldrich can fill a very much needed backup C role.

Cook is a very good spot up 3 point shooter (37%)... a critical component on a team that will be as heavily dependent on the PnR as this team will be. I can easily see him being a weapon off the bench and to help spread the floor.

As for Lazar Hayward, he's a sophomore Forward. He was fairly low key last year (spent time in the D-League), so here's a writeup from when he was drafted...

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/lazar-hayward

Given that the Rockets are loaded with Forwards, I wouldn't be surprised if they send him down or cut him. He'll only be one of 294729364 forwards on the roster...

5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I still hold out hope Aldrich can develop.....but he may be another Marcus Morris.

6. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

It depends on how the Rockets feel about Smith & Forbes vs. Aldrich & Cook and whether they should just play Pat & D-mo at their natural position or give them minutes at the 5. I say keep both Smith & Cole, keep Cook and ditch Forbes along with Machado, JJ, Brockman & Hayward. That way, D-Mo & Patterson are never going to play center and we won't have those situations like last year where we're screaming for a bigger guy and McHale going with Pat.

7. rocketsmetalspd

Watching Cole play down here in the first pre season, he looks like a solid back up C. He has good size and get needed rebounds in traffic. He is someone CD can work with to get better. I don't know what else Morey has planned since cuts are around the corner.

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

daequan cook is nice

9. Beard

Beard Member

Lazar Hayward is a dreadful player but probably wont be cut because of his guaranteed money. Expect to see him in the D league a lot.
    Aldrich has developed a couple of moves on offense, is pretty successful with his baby hook, but is not very good on defense, mediocre rebounder. Also shoots free throws funny
    Cook was a very nice contributor for the thunder as KDs backup, then Thabo went down about halfway through the season and he was inserted into the starting lineup. Since then he has been horrible for some reason, and it has carried over to the preseason. Maybe the change of scenery will be nice. But cannot do anything except shoot..cant dribble, play defense, nothing
    But expect to see a lot of skip passes from harden going left from the top of the key to cook in the right corner. Very pretty

10. haven

haven Member

With Asik and Aldrich, the Rockets may now have one of the better C rotations in the league, if you value advanced-stat analysis at all. I tend to think it's promising, though with the usual limited-minutes reservations.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think they were just to fill out cap space.

12. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OGnr7_osK8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nvS4GOh5MJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-MEtWvMKFXs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3vVRA311sSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Aldrich is a keeper (for this season, at least).

Hayward is a guy I'd put in the same boat as Forbes. Solid young player but would be on the bubble even if he started training camp with the Rockets.

Cook - I'm guessing the Rockets' front office is at least investigating whether a favorable buyout can be reached. If the money is right for Houston, they'll waive him. If not, it's a toss-up as to whether he makes the team or not.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I'm extremely happy about Cole Aldrich. Our lack of a legit backup big man who can rebound and play some D was extremely troubling and showed up many times during the preseason. Cole's 36 per is something like 12ppg and 10rpg. I don't think that's realistic since he played such limited minutes, but if it's anything close to that, then he will be a VERY effective backup.

15. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think we'll cut all 3, to be honest. Aldrich is the only one we might keep.

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Obviously I could be wrong, but I actually think Cook is most likely to be kept, given his salary. Not only is that a lot of guaranteed money to waive, but he might come in handy as a salary filler down the road.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Cook has been a useful reserve for OKC. If we didn't have roster space issues he would definitely make the team as either a 3rd stringer like in OKC or maybe even a primary backup. He still might make it.

Aldrich can beat Smith for the backup C spot. He' supposed to be a better rebounder and shot blocker, which is badly needed if Asik is on the bench or injured.

Hayward is good as gone.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is a great point. This contract, Aldrich's, and Livingston's 3.5 mil expiring salaries could be very useful in acquiring a large contract. Not sure if there is another move on the docket or not right now, but they should keep their options open come trade deadline in February. Put together those 3 contracts with Patrick Patterson plus a few future draft picks, and you might have yourself a nice package for a max contract player that a team wants to move.

Of course, if keeping Cook means waiving a high upside player then I think you do what you can now to move him if possible, but waiving him might be a mistake if you don't have to.

19. jogo

jogo Member

Can someone post Hollinger's player paragraphs for OKC players? That way we can see his thoughts about these 3.

Thanks.

20. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Aldrich has looked very good this preseason. OKC fans are upset because he was slated to be their backup C this season. He is a very underrated component of this trade because the Rockets BADLY needed a real backup C. I was pissed when the Rox cut Harrelson but getting Aldridge makes up for it.