1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Colby Rasmus accepts QO; Returns to Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Nov 12, 2015.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That one is surprising to me. He's taking a risk that he'll rebound next season and get a huge deal.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You are thinking one year at a time

To spend that $16 million elsewhere would have likely meant a long term commitment to someone

This one year deal won't stop them from making whatever moves they feel will help

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I'm good with this deal. Kind of crazy that 2 players have accepted qualifying offers when nobody had ever done so before.

Now that Colby is locked up, just give me some consistent increased production from the corner infield spots along with another solid starter, and I am pumped for what this team can do next season.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

"I'm thrilled to have Colby back. he had a tremendous year last year," Jeff Luhnow said.

"This is one of our offseason priorites this year, to bring Colby back this year," Luhnow said.

"At this point i think our focus is going to shift more to the bullpen and the rotation and some other areas," Luhnow said.

"He's happy to be back. He was very comfortable here. I think there's more in there...This is good for us." - Luhnow #Astros

"We made the offer with the hope Colby Rasmus would come back here," Luhnow said.

I wouldn't say we're trying to get a closer. We're trying to continue to improve our bullpen. Gregerson did a good job, Neshek for most of the year did a good job, Fields is here, we have guys we like. We lost Sipp & Perez to free agency. We have needs. We're exploring alternatives and how much it'll cost in dollars and assets.

We like Tony Sipp a lot. He had a great couple years here. He'll have quite a few teams interested in his services.

Talks with Dallas?

With our star players, we'll have those conversations internally. We have an interest in retaining our stars as long as possible.

(Arbitration players) We're not constrained by a budget. We have guys in AAA fans want to see up here. We need to consider arbitration players on whether they're the best fit, not cost. We can keep them all if we wanted to.

Appel finished the year in spectacular fashion. He'll be competing for a spot in our rotation. He has a bright future with the Astros.

Priority has never been to get a flame thrower. When we look at bullpen composition, it's how to get outs. We're considering all types of pitchers.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think it's a waste for this type of team.

No upside at all for the Astros since they still need other pieces and realistically won't be a solid WS threat next year.

6. TheresTheDagger

Well, the guy showed up big time in the post season. Those kind of guys are not easy to find. Glad he's back aboard!

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its only been a thing for 3 years.... so its not like we have decades worth of players not taking the deal.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Again... I never said it's an easily replaceable position. What I did say was that given what positions likely are/aren't locked down heading into 2016, it would likely be "easier" to find a LF/OF than 3B who fits your very narrow criteria (namely, guys who can get on base at a higher clip than the vast majority of last year's line-up).

Seeing as Rasmus was a big part of the issue you're trying to correct in 2016, I would not have locked him into the very position where I was likely to have the most flexibility/options.

In terms of specific replacements; Gordon is the obvious name a) because he's a free agent; b) there've been rumblings that the Astros would be interested. I would have had interest in Heyward and Upton, too.

I actually favor the trade route, personally, as I don't have the same ingrained attachment to prospects as some and would gladly leverage them for a financial-friendly contract. I would have kicked the tires on Carlos Gonzalez, Nelson Cruz, Denard Span... I would called the Indians about Michael Brantley, the Braves about Markakis - heck, I'd call the Dodgers about Puig.

Every player I just listed would represent, at the very least, an offensive upgrade over Colby Rasmus, IMO.

Shockingly, given how much trouble it's caused you, yes.

And sure, roll your eyes... whatever. But willful - and repeated - ignorance of a rather simple concept is never a flattering look. I don't have any issue with you disagreeing or misunderstanding my opinion; but blatantly misrepresenting them is poor form.

9. Hey Now!

It will if what they thought could help played OF......

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, your basic premise was to have not offered him the QO... correct?

Because in that thread, I really didn't see much issue or debate regarding it... in fact prior to the deadline, people here were more concerned that it possibly would not be offered, and the Astros would be dropping the ball on at least getting a draft pick.

Its unlikely any team will be wheeling/dealing this early in the off-season... usually not till the winter meetings. The QO deadline is where it is so that players don't become fallback plans or last-resort options, which is what I'm thinking you would have rather Rasmus have been.

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

That makes no sense. They were a legitimate WS threat this year and metrically one of the best five teams in baseball.

Luhnow wouldn't have offered the QO without a contingency plan. He is much like Morey in that regard. He will improve this roster in another way, either through trade or through an FA that doesn't require you surrending your pick for. I'd think long and hard about throwing a ton of money at Zobrist.

12. Hey Now!

My basic premise is that I'm pissed he took the offer.

I don't fault anyone here; I understand (and love) the Astros valuing the draft pick; I think that's smart. And if they truly wanted him back, then a one-year deal is the best route.

But there were better players readily available, and the Astros have a good enough farm system that they likely could have likely pried a better player away from another team.

13. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

And his OPS with RISP was .922.

He was CLUTCH the WHOLE season.

14. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

It's only "a waste" if this move inhibits the Astros from making other necessary moves to improve the team. It's safe to say the Astros are stacked in the outfield going 6 men deep (Gattis/Marwin or even a prospect could be #6). They can still shore up the offense with upgrades at 1B, 3B and even DH. Add a bullpen arm and maybe even another SP and the Astros are set for a WS run. The Rasmus QO is a one year deal. Should absolutely not inhibit them from making other deals to improve th team ( i.e. Backload contracts if need be). If Crane won't spend anymore because of it then we can complain. But I don't think that will be the case.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ok... but there's absolutely nothing the team could have done differently other than not extending the offer.

Of the two choices, the only way they don't extend the offer is if they have absolutely zero interest in bringing him back AND they're confident they can get another player that will supplement the loss of the possible draft pick+Rasmus.

As far as the better players readily available... that's still a huge unknown. The Astros may like them all a lot, but it also takes them liking the Astros too... or another team valuing the Astros offerings in a possible trade moreso than other teams (or just keeping the possibly available player).

16. vince

vince Member

This was great news. I think too many people are caught in fantasy sports, where they are Qualified GM sitting in front of their smart phone making moves like trading baseball cards.

Rasmus had his slumps along the season, but he also was a catalyst when everyone else was slumping. Way too many times, the back of the rotation needed to carry the load offensively. Altuve, Springer, Correa, and Gattis had synchronized slumps where they could get nothing going right. Even in the playoffs. Without Rasmus hitting, giving the Astros a chance to win, they'd of been railedroaded.

With the pitchers the Astros have, they need a good defensive outfield. Now it is set for next season, barring any trades. The only weak defender is Preston Tucker, but he has a potential plus bat. If his bat start clicking, then even his subpar defense would be offset allowing him more playing time.

Stoked that Rasmus took the one year deal.

17. ThaShark316_28

Here's the attention you wanted. Jesus.

18. The Beard

They aren't likely interested in spending long term money on the OF this year, and really they shouldn't be. An OF of Rasmus, Gomez and Springer with Jake there too, is strong. The other options available in the OF would come with longer term commitments, and i'd strongly guess they want to compete next year AND have another year looking at what some of the closer prospects do.

I would be shocked if the Astros were considering a long term contract for an OF right now. And if i'm right, Rasmus was by far the best one year option they had.

19. The Beard

What other 1 year options that were "better players" were "readily available"

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member