1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach McHale Rockets-TWolves Post Game - He loves his young Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CarolNYC, Mar 16, 2013.

1. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but I really liked Coach McHale's post-game from last night:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/apA2qjUEeaI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think I am an anomaly here, a big JLin fan (in fact, no secret that I came here because of Jeremy....but I do love all of the Rockets now) who loves Coach McHale.

All of those cranky interviews he did after the bad losses got so much attention...I think this nice one should get some attention too. See, how he loves his young Rockets?

Yeah, he was pretty ornery in a few of those recent interviews, pretty harsh even, but did you see the way he looked those days? He was so scruffy. You think he was just saying to himself, these guys I'm stuck coaching just suck. I'm doing all that is humanly possible but they just suck. It's not my fault. There is just no hope for them. Whatever he was saying to the press, it was obvious he was agonizing himself over what he could do to make this team play better....to make his team win.

I don't agree with or understand everything he does but I know he knows a lot more about basketball then I ever will and we are privy to only such a small part of the whole relationship/dynamic between him and his team. I think he's learning and growing as we go along too. I don't want him fired. I don't want him to resign. I want him to succeed with these guys.

I loved the end of this post-game...."Then they do stuff like that in the second half and you go, like, I guess all is right with the Rockets, huh....I'm outta here."

Also, he look SO much better when he shaves. :)

9 people like this.
  2. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It was a good interview, you could tell he was really happy with the way the team played in the second half. He has stressed all year that this team is just young, and that they are going to be inconsistent, and that things aren't always going to be easy. There are some things a coach can't teach a player, things that players have to learn on their own by playing and getting experience. This year has been a learning experience for this team, and they will continue to learn the rest of this year and in the coming years. The playoffs are going to be great experience for this young team regardless of how well they do. Next year we may see this team really take off.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The rockets won the game and it took great coaching as well as great playing to come back and win this game. McHale has a lot of knowledge and wisdom... I just don't agree with his personality at times. It's true the team is super young and they're going to do things that make you shake your head but adjustments are not overrated and just because all 30 teams don't go super young to win doesn't mean the chances of us seriously contending is way far off. He didn't say we were way far off in those exact words but it just seems like he coaches with that mindset sometimes. I remember one time he told the team y'all don't know how good y'all could be... That's the kinds of things that need to be programmed into this teams mind. They could be bad but they could also be darn good and so good to where just getting to the playoffs may be not good enough for this group. Confidence is big and crutial for a young group like the rockets... I liked the interview overall. McHale did great.

5. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Good interview. "Adjustments are overrated." :grin:

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He likes to jump our player's asses. #UnsafeWorkEnviroment

7. sophiaaa19

sophiaaa19 Member

I can't imagine how frustrating it is to watch the young guys make dumb mistakes that you have taught them about just last practice cuz Of how young and inexperienced they are. It would make me want to rip my hair out

1 person likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They recharged at half time.

9. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

Lol, I had to turn off the radio at halftime and just walk away from it. Oh and I did catch that comeback on NBAtv that aired at 2am.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He screamed and yelled at them at halftime. Scared 'em.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah but he hates Lin and sabotages the team right???? That must be the case because I hear it so often.

Also, since in the game thread it was decided that the crappy first half was all McHale's fault, could we say that the successful 2nd was entirely thanks to McHale's genius?

1 person likes this.
  12. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Coach.

best line: " it's hard to do anything consistently when you're young.......except have fun."

Lots of Luv for Coach over here and The Baby Rockets !

1 person likes this.
  13. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

He should thank Morey for constructing this young group.They are inconsitently good and developing with potential, rather than old players who are consistently mediocre.

1 person likes this.
  14. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Caught that too.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think McHale has some big problem with our young guys, but you can really tell he just wants to be coaching a good veteran team. He just needs to understand that good veteran teams don't grow on trees, and it's all too easy to simply have a mediocre veteran team. The organization's and fans' goals are to win a championship, and that means right now starting with young guys and building them into the kind of veterans who can contend for a title. The fact that it looks likely we will make the playoffs with as he says, such a young team, is VERY promising and he should see it that way.

But then again, McHale may not be here next season. So maybe that's why he's looking short term. But is it the chicken or the egg? If he were doing better about playing and developing the young guys, maybe the front office would be happier and he would be here to see them mature into veteran championship contenders.

Everything can't be NOW NOW NOW, he needs to have the patience to see Morey's plan to fruition, if he was doing that and prioritizing long term thinking over short term wins then maybe he'd already have an extension.

16. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

He was nice about lin hahaha

"Greg was catching the ball" hahahaha

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

"You don't just put a group of young guys and expect to win. That's not the formula. If it was, all 30 teams in the league would be doing that, believe me."

By that, was he taking a jab at Morey, or just going through his "pay me" rants.

18. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Why do Lin fans always need to start off and justify how much they love all the rockets players... :confused: Stop letting pre 2012ers shame you into having to clarify this obvious fact in every single thread.

19. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

Well Thunder anyone??? Last year they were one of the the youngest team in the league! Anyway, McHale needs to stop ranting this "young" and "inexperienced" over and over again, no matter how much truth there is to it, its getting old.

1 person likes this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I agree. Too much truth gets old.

:rolleyes: