1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach A @ Starbucks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TRIQSTER, Jun 18, 2007.

1. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Your name says it all!

2. ham

ham Member

I disagree... In the NBA, where few rotations exceed 9 players, neither Snyder nor VSpan is very likely to find a place in the rotation. Even if they do, it will likely be because they edged out their competion. I think it's unlikely that VSpan>>Alston or Snyder>>Head in the near future. Having 12 quality players is useless when only 8 or 9 will be in the rotation.

Artest would be a huge upgrade at the 4. He is definitely strong enough to guard powerful bigs, and quick enough to guard quick PFs. He would also give our defense amazing flexibility, as having Battier and Artest on the floor with McGrady would allow us to put a defensive stopper on the opposing team's best scorers at the 1-4 positions.

On the other end, few players have the combination of speed and quickness needed to guard Artest. He can also spread the floor on offense, which we've known all along would be ideal in a PF on this team.

To say that he would be playing out of position misses the point: even so, Artest would be a more effective 4 than any "true" PF we can get.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DD, Artest is a top 10 talent. When you can give up a scrub for a top ten talent, you do it, No matter what position he plays.

Even if you use him for a trade.

Dont get caught up in positions, we need basketball "players" and ones with this kind of capability dont come around often.

4. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Hard to Imagine

5. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Random stranger at Starbucks gets inside scoop from new coach in H town.....Sounds suspect...

However, IF IT WERE true, I would make that trade because of the fact that we have always been lousy at the PNR defense and with Battier, Artest, Tmac, (maybe an in shape Bonzi) we could switch on pnr's without much drop off....We would be a very flexible defensive team and be better on offense.

If we did that and then had the chance to trade Battier, Luther, Sura's expiring for Rashard Lewis, I'd do that one too.

The only one playing big minutes that you would lose is Battier and somewhat Luther in exchange for Lewis and Artest? That would be more of a miracle than Adelman spilling his beans over dark roast with strangers.....

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

2 words - Roderick Rhodes

VSpan will not make it on a team with a center who attacks that much attention down low. He doesn't have any kind of an outside shot. He doesn't handle the ball all that well without an imminent TO. He must drive to the basket to get points and without an outside shot, the defenders will be laying off him to stop his drive - into the paint - where there is a crowd with Yao. Now maybe you can solve the later by moving Yao out to the 3 point line, but do you really think that's wise? Only if he truly was the TMac of European ball but the above doesn't sound at all like the American TMac.

Please don't tell me that VSpan would be a deal killer for you. I liked Boki better but there is no way he would have held me up from a trade like Artest either.

That said - I don't think that Rick is going to tell trade negotiations to a starbucks stranger and throw his new boss under the bus like that. If he did, we hired the wrong guy.

7. YaoFanatic

YaoFanatic Member

If the coach is on board for the Artest trade, the GM really should do it. Artest would truly be the real 3rd offensive option. It's not like the 26th pick, VSpan or Snyder would ever evolve into that role. Certainly not Battier either. If we could live with Hayes at 6'6" to be PF, we can live with Artest at 6'7" to be PF. That's like upgrading from D-league to All-Star without giving up an all-star. It's too good to pass up!

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Since they all play the same position, nab Artest and make Battier a candidate for 6th Man of the Year.

Then again, your level of objectivity would have the Rockets pass on Garnett if they lost VSpan. :p :D

9. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Artest is not a top ten talent.

Lebron
    Wade
    Kobe
    KG
    Nash
    Tmac
    Yao
    Amare
    Dwight Howard
    Tim Duncan
    an Aging Shaq
    Dirk
    Deron Williams
    Baron Davis
    Chris Paul

All Better than Artest.

10. YaoFanatic

YaoFanatic Member

You also forgot Lewis, Kidd, AK47, Ginobili, Redd, and many more, but that is besides the point. Those players are only slightly better than Artest, whereas Artest is MUCH MUCH better than VSpan, Snyder and #26 COMBINED...

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Yes, I'm sure Rick Adelman openly discusses ongoing trade negotiations with random strangers at Starbucks.

12. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

i agree on artest but no to trading battier for a 10 pick and rahim..i think battier is a valuable asset to the team..no to letting him go unless its the right deal

13. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Artest is gone after one year - not worth a rental, and a one-year rental with a bad reliability record at that. We all know how well that worked last year, but at least it didn't cost us $7.8M.

There is a good reason why there are so many teams interested in Vspan, and JVG was not the one to show us why. You'll see why early next season.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is a better defensive player than every one of those names... except Dwight possibly.....
    And he'll get you a consistent 20 guarding the best player on the floor.
    I think you could slide him in with those names you posted easily....
    I think he is every bit as good as Amare or Paul.........

BTW I said he was a top 10 talent, not a top 10 player. With his head on sraight he is a top 10 player or close to it.

15. DreamRoxCoogFan

i am totally against artest coming here. i mean a 'small majority' of people have always said artest is misuderstood..blah blah blah, and i kinda bought into that. but then he goes and does stupid **** again. i mean how can anybody trust a player that wrecked a teams season, further tarnished a leagues deteriorating image, and then came back and had the audacity to demand a trade even after his team stood by him? that was one of the most ridiculous things i heard. i was shocked that i didnt hear headlines of bird and o'neal throwing down his sorry @ss. then all the reporters who think that they are the real knowledgeable ones write about how hes gonna get a new start in sac and not have too many problems, and then soon enough, he starts getting in trouble again.

artest is exactly the kind of player that will scare more people away from this great game.

16. rserina

rserina Member

There is no way that would work financially unless we tossed in some filler (like a sign-and-trade of Tsakalidis, which couldn't happen until after the draft). If it did, though we would still have Sura's expiring contract and Head to deal for a post (Drew Gooden could even be an option, if we wanted him), plus the MLE. Assuming Bonzi comes back, that would be a petulant group, but with enough defensive skill and experience around McGrady and Yao to make things interesting.

I doubt it happens, but at least it's a fun idea.

17. bbjai

bbjai Member

Thats quite true to be honest. Artest is probably the only Player in this league who can be a all defensive player of the year and be top 10 in scoring. None of the defensive players of the year candidates can even come close to what Artest can achieve. None of them have that potential. Wallace? Camby? Battier? Bowen?
    the only exception I can think of that matches Artest is Marion.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Oh really?

[​IMG]

19. yao_fan_2007

yao_fan_2007 Member

Isn't this the same guy who said he saw JVG walk in a starbucks and quickly exited when everyone made fun of him?

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

yeah i don't believe this at all.