1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cnnsi] Yao number 4 on Kelly Dwyer's NBA Player Rankings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wnes, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Chronz

Chronz Member

Couldnt agree more, PER has been great to Yao and is definately more credable the NBA's EFF rating. But on a bad note Tmacs PER is very discouraging

2. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I always find it sad, or pathetic, when sports writers put together articles stating something that is completely incorrect and, when someone calls them out on it, resort to namecalling or something completely below what a professional sports writer should. You say "any sort of impact" was a poor choice of words but, if you know that now, what were you thinking when you wrote the article? Did you not care? or was it just hastily written?

But, anyway Kelly, you tell us what we were supposed to think when you wrote that Shane has not had "any sort of impact", although, you just admitted that it was "probably a poor choice of words". Were we, as Rockets fans, supposed to think that you watched 80% of Rockets games like you said?

I'm just sick of Sports writers writing whatever they feel like at the moment and later, when it is pointed out that they are wrong, resorting to namecalling or being defensive when even they admit they were wrong.

With that said, I believe Kelly is a good sports writer and I will look for his articles in the future.

3. Man

Man Contributing Member

thanks kelly
    i think battier's made an impact.

4. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

He addressed the Battier non-impact statement. It's not like he was busy jerking off to Joe Johnson like the rest of the media.

Dwyer, could you hook us up with a good list of other team's good fan-sites? The only passable one I've found so far is for the Lakers. I'd like to see another good one. Not to talk nonsense, just out of interest of what they have to say.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What team are you looking for?

6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I think tomorrow is a big test for Yao...if he can put up the numbers against Shaq and the ROckets win, it may be considered the official passing of the torch....

7. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

None in particular. I didn't mean to suggest that Lakersground is literally comparable to ClutchFans.

I just figured that some other team has a site where people are discussing basketball with some semblance of intelligence.

I've seen some of the dumb fansites, I guess I was just hoping that some competing team fosters a community as interesting and insightful as ours.

8. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

try pacersdigest.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Good job, Kelly.

Tomorrow, when Yao dominates Shaq, you gotta move him up to one for us, okay? :)

10. ymc

ymc Member

Kelly is our man. So I guess we should take this with a grain of salt even though it is pretty close to the truth. :cool:

11. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

My Top ten.
    Yao
    Rahdolph
    AI
    Arenas
    LBJ
    Paul
    Jamison
    BOSH
    Redd
    KG

I'm sorry yao's overall impact far exceeds anyone - elses in the league.

12. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

Try this: http://www.kingsfanclub.com/madness.html

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

That's an old list, its missing some good ones. For example, the Raptors' and the Grizzlies' largest forums aren't listed.

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It is great to see Kelly again give the rockets the respect they deserve. He is one of the media that indeed give credit to the rockets when it is deserved.

Why do people complain when somebody writes something good about a rocket, and he mentions something bad about a other rockets(which he said was poorly stated, but he does have a point, Battier is a great player for us. But in some area's he hasn't provided what we axpected, like rebounds). Lets jus tbe happy somebody actually writes something good about YAo. Most articels about yao are not really insightfull. Also Yao wasn't even mentioned in an article on nba.com, about MVP candidates. So lets just be happy some mediapeople do apreciate the rockets.

Great article Kelly.

15. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

couldnt have said it better myself

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I know some other sites that are semi-decent and some that are pretty bad. The Spurs have one I use to gauge attitudes. The posts on the phxsuns.net site isn't that good but it has very good info about the Suns team. There are about 4-5 other sites I visit on occasion. As you said, none are quite like this one. Unfortunately this summer, some of the "discussion" here about specific players has been less mature than in the past and Clutchfans is becoming more like the other sites.

17. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Y'know, I started to write out a tactful response, but slag off, mug. Tell Shane to average more than three boards in 37, and lower his "per-minute, hands-in-face, orphans-saved-from-a-burning-building, intangibles-per-second" count, mmmkay?

I've got 30 teams to watch, tapes to watch, Tivo'd things to watch, and three more games on the NBA's broadband pass to watch BEFORE today's games start up. I have stats to consider, I have intangibles to consider. I have expectations that I have to consider, but I also have to not let unmet (or exceeded) expectations color my comments with emotion. I had a twice-weekly, 1800-word column dumped in favor of a bunch of frickin' "player power rankings," and people are going to argue why the guy in 13th place should be in 11th, and why the number 12 guy should be much lower.

Nothing is "incorrect." It's an opinion. If someone states that Yao isn't living up to his expectations, that isn't "incorrect." Maybe someone expects Yao to average 40 and 20.

If you don't like that Shane Battier's three rebounds in 37 minutes and sound defense isn't enough, yet, for my taste -- and my realization that he still looks like he's trying to find his way amongst the many assignments JVG has for him -- then there are plenty of Kahns, Meijas, Mannixs, Steins, Fords, Lawrences, and Smiths for you to check out. It's all free, so click away.

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

KellyDwyer don't let some juvanile posters get to you. The majority of the site love the articles you write, and we know that you are one of the few Journalists who actually give rocket credit(like what i wrote in my other post).
    We all know you are a quality writer, and a respected member of this board.

19. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

...And Mr. Dwyer STILL makes time for the net's #1 fan site. :D

Thank you sir. :cool:

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I have a question for Kelly Dwyer.

Since you're obviously a Rockets fan do you ever feel pressured to write positively or negative about the Rockets for a national sports outlet? In other words do you feel you have to dampen any personal bias you might have towards the Rockets when writing about the NBA?

I'm not asking this because I thought your rankings were biased, they sound pretty solid for me including your analysis of why you don't think Battier has made a major contribution. I'm interested in seeing how you balance writing for a national audience with being a Rockets fan.

I think you might be getting some extra grief here since this is a Rockets site and are expecting you to be more positive about the Rockets.