1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cnnsi]Van Gundy Deserved Better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 18, 2007.

1. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I can see the pistons sacking saunders if JVG decides t coach again. imagine him coaching the pistons?. wow.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That would not be a good fit either, IMHO.

DD

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The pistons would never dump flaunders for JVG, their team would digress

4. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

I'm actually amused with your posts more than anything. And it's not an obsession. If you would post less often, I would probably just ignore you. In fact, let me start that right now. Here's to me ignoring you from now on.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL ARE U SURE? I THINK IF THEY GOT VAN MORRISON THEY WOULD PROFESS.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It should have been as simple as that. It wasn't. Rather than fire him, they wanted it to look like he quit to be with his family. They were afraid to take responsibility for firing the guy.

Then before he was even out as head coach they started talking to another person about his job.

The common decency move would have been to fire JVG, then after he was gone talk to potential replacements.

7. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Saunders is a good coach, but gundy is better... Gundy is a larry brown clone. if anything he is a better defensive coach....

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Anyway Welcome to the Houston Rockets Mr Rick Adelman!

9. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Van Gundy said in an inteview today that the only thing he didn't like was that the Rockets said he wasn't sure if he still wanted to coach or not. He said he told them that he would coach if they wanted him to. I remember him saying that several days ago.

Hilltopper provided the video. http://www.click2houston.com/video/13351175/index.html

10. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

So do Rox fans. It's hard to swollow two game 7 first round losses, after 2-0, and 3-2.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If JVG was a Larry Brown clone or "better then Flip Saunders," he would have playoff record better than .500, which he doesnt. Jeff Van Gundy is an average coach, simple as that. Great defesne, ZERO offense.

12. Dr Q

Dr Q Contributing Member

My thought too.

From what I read, that Les's disliking of JVG's style, JVG's not so great relationship with GM, etc, smart as Jeff, he must know his day at Rocket is
    done once they lost the game 7.

In this case, the only honorable way to break up is for Jeff offering resignation
    while Rocket say that it's mutual decision to part away. But, for whatever
    reason, Jeff didn't choose this path.

After his firing made public, he told media that he wanted back all along and
    told Rocket that, but the fact that he refused Rocket's extension negotiation
    in early season doesn't reconsile very well with what he said.

I have a feeling that JVG did this on purpose to put Les in bad light.
    I know it's too cynical to guess Jeff's intention like that, but I can't kelp
    it from watching this whole drama.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The problem with the Rockets is Les Alexander.

14. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Les has a limited understanding of basketball.

There is only one winner of 32 teams every year. I believe JVG is a championship coach...he just hasn't won one yet.

I do believe though JVG was sensitive to the owner liking his work. Just do what you do and win...no need to put the ball in someone else's court for acceptance.

15. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

94 & 95 was not Les's doing...we were primed to win a championship after Patterson built the team. Patterson doesn't get enough credit for NOT trading Akeem.

Les also influenced the departure of Sam Cassell & Robert Horry. I've always thought that was a mistake even though many people wanted Barkley no matter what...

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

How is it classless? He had a non-guaranteed contract and the Rockets terminated it. If Van Gundy didn't want this to happen he should have signed a guaranteed contract. The Rockets gave him a chance all season to sign and extension and he dragged his feet so they cut bait and moved on.

17. RocksMillenium

Yeah, that sounds like someone who is just chomping at the bit to coach. :rolleyes:

18. RocksMillenium

And JVG was just as guilty. He let it be known that he was thinking about quitting BEFORE the regular season ended. Then he dragged his feet for months, not signing an extension while at the same time refusing to say whether he would come back or not. He used the vague excuse of "I'll come back if you want me to" making it seem like they had to drag him back kicking and screaming to coach. If he wanted to come back he either would have signed and extension or came right out and said he wanted to coach.

19. RocksMillenium

Yeah, Detroit will play good defense but not be able to score a point.

20. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I felt really bad for JVG, having to sit there tonight and just think that he was one win away from being very likely to be in the western conference finals, which most likely would mean that he would have had a much longer tenure in Houston.