1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cnnsi]Van Gundy Deserved Better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 18, 2007.

1. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Exactly my thought. JVG danced a little bit too much. If JVG told the Rockets he wanted to return earlier, he would get fire. No doubt.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

JVG deserves better?

he hasn't gotten this team out of the first round. he got fired for failing to do so when given a fair amount of time.

a better coach is available and the rockets would be stupid not to jump at this chance.

if the rockets would keep JVG (and i really like him, just not for this team) the fans should be screaming that they deserve better.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, and if JVG really wanted to stay, he would have signed the extension when offered.

And, JVG surely pissed off his boss LES, when he refused to be nicer to the media and the Rockets customers.

DD

4. Northside Moss

...After reading the article, a valid point should be brought up.

WTH will Houston do if Rick Adelman refuses the post (especially seeing how the Rockets fired JVG)?

Larry Brown eh? :rolleyes:

5. edc

edc Contributing Member

I'm going to surprise some people. Yes, this situation was handled badly. Very badly. For two weeks now, the organization was acting like a chicken with its head cut off. Coronating Adelman before the guillotine had dropped on the other guy was the height of classlessness. Then again, this is the same owner who couldn't bother to show up when he eliminated a lifetime employee that gave this organization and city their only championships.

Did Mr. Van Gundy "deserve better?" Yes, *any* employee should expect their boss to behave in a more professional manner. However, what he *earned* was a pink-slip the day after the Utah loss, if not the season before that, or the season before that. IMHO, that Game 7 loss was grounds enough, particularly given the "win and win now" motto.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, edc.

I agree entirely. Extremely well put.

7. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Then why do you have such a beef with how Vspan was treated.

There are lots of players in the NBA who dont get much playing time. And we know that Vspan was paid quite nicely this year to be on the team.

Vspan will have other opportunities to play, sitting for this year isnt that big a deal.

So, no you shouldnt feel bad for Vspan. He will be fine.

As for your claim that JVG never game him a chance.....Meh.....just move on.

8. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Wrong. See DaDakota. :rolleyes:

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

0-3 in the playoffs. Nuff Said.

Im a Gundy fan, but his post-season record doesnt sit well with me.

I dig Adelman..... bring it on.

10. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Waiting for your response, DaDakota.

11. DaDakota

I have explained this ad-nauseum, it has to do with me believing the team was not good enough to contend this year(and I have been saying that since day one), therefore I would have liked to find out if some of the guys on the bench would help in the future.

I don't know if V-Span is the answer, or can even be a consistent player, I do have hopes for him, but there are no guarantees, but we darned sure know that Rafer is not the answer.

And while I believe JVG was doing everything he can to win every game this year, I think it was a disservice to the overall development of the team.

As to the rest... players have a much shorter playing career than coaches have coaching careers.

DD

#31 DaDakota, May 18, 2007
    Last edited: May 18, 2007
  12. DaDakota

I am not, nor have I ever been a JVG hater. I just think he is wrong for this team.

And I believe the team will be better served by a different coach.

DD

13. elvis

elvis Member

A stupid, stupid move on the Rockets part. Adelman is a mediocre couch, and his teams have always been soft. You wouldn't find a knowledgeable coach, GM, or player in the league who thinks this coaching swap is an upgrade.

Whoever was behind this decision -- Les, Morey -- is a dope; and totally without class. This is even worse than when they hung Rudy out to dry.

I'm embarrassed to be a Rockets Fan.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

THen you are setting yourself to be disappointed, because it willl undoubtedly SUCK worse than Martin Van Buren's position on the Amistad case.

DD WHY YOU GOT TO HATE DJIMON HOUNSOU DD?

[​IMG]

15. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Actually, I'm never disappointed by DaDakota. He never fails to make a fool of himself.

16. DaDakota

Poor Sam, he has lost focus on the Rockets and only works on his DD hatorade.

Too bad his side lost this battle...again.

DD

17. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Thank you for putting words in my mouth. I didn't say you were a JVG hater. All I meant was that there are actually people who are indifferent or even pleased with how JVG's firing was handled.

18. DaDakota

Another DD hater, welcome to Sam & Donkey M's side. You guys can go out for a cocktail sometime, and discuss your DD obsession.

DD

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I really dont see what was so bad about the way he left. He got fired, simple as that, that how life works.

20. DaDakota

I am sorry, in your post above you said

"Wrong. See DaDakota"

in a response that had the opening sentence saying

"I think even the biggest JVG hater would say the situation was not handled very well."

I guess it just seemed that you were saying I was a JVG hater.....

And no, I don't think the situation was handled all that badly, seems like a normal business firing to me.

DD