1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cnnsi]The Fundamentals: Lin facing new challenges during his second act

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 19, 2012.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://nba.si.com/2012/11/19/jeremy-lin-houston-rockets-new-york-knicks/

2. SunsRocketsfan

3. Arthurprescott2

Thanks for the read.

4. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

dont get some of the points in the article, for instance this passage "That attention has revealed certain limitations in Lin’s game. His ability to function as a team’s primary playmaker was overstated by his 2011-12 performance."

Lin is averaging more assists and less turnovers than his numbers from last year is he not? Playmaking and scoring are 2 different things.

only so much can be done to account for the fact that Lin has been relatively useless away from the ball,

what point guard isn't relatively useless away from the ball

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

"Lin hasn’t yet shown the capacity to execute that kind of persistent operation."

what does that mean?

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Any PG with a respectable shot. Dragic and Lowry, for example.

As for the article, I hate the way it is written. Give me an effin break.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

"The best thing that an offense can do is dictate the game in a way that forces opponents to make decision after decision after decision. "

8. Grigori

Grigori Member

When your offense's idea of exploiting penetration is to have the four other guys stand way way back to "create spacing," I think that is a foregone conclusion. You see, there is this thing in basketball called "losing the team." This happens when the things the coaches ask the players to do are so dumb that the players begin to realize that the coaches are actually dumber than the players. Once that happens there is nothing left to do but fire the coaches. McHale was well on his way with this with Lowry last season and would finish the job this season in short order, given a little bit more time.

9. SunsRocketsfan

I'm not disagreeing with firing McHale and Sampson.. our coaching absolutely sucks.. Mchale basically admitted he has no offensive sets or plays. wtf does he do then?
    Can't believe we got rid of RA for mchale.. wtf was morey thinking

JVG > RA > McHale.. our coaching is getting worse and worse

10. Pubsaint

Pubsaint Member

This sounds more like an uptempo team basketball to me. When everyone passes around, setting picks, and cuts.

This does not sound like something depend solely on Jeremy.

11. Grigori

Grigori Member

This basically means that, when Kobe Bryant drives to the basket and four guys collapse on him, Dwight Howard is rolling toward the basket looking for an easy dunk, but when Eremy Lin or James Harden drives to the basket and four guys collapse on him and Asik rolls to the basket looking for an easy dunk, on the next deadball McHale or Sampson chews him out for killing the spacing.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And this article gets ignored while a thread called "eremy Lin" "Where did the J go?" gets 60 responses. Something is wrong on the bbs. I think I know what it is ...

But back to the article. I think it reinforces what we already knew. JLin is pretty much a young, untested PG in the NBA. There are straightforward and obvious gaps in his game that he and the coaching staff can work on. The "spatial awareness" comments were an interesting take. I had never thought of it that way. Is PG in the NBA a version of the spacial awareness displayed in some computer games? Well, I do not know, but the implications seem to point to an obvious conclusion - a PG cannot be spatially aware of the game until he understands the tendencies of his teammates and his opponents. I will think about it.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I came up with that joke "eremy Lin" in the game thread, someone took that made a thread out of it. go figure.

I didn't think there needed to be another Jeremy Lin has no jumper discussion, that's being discussed in all the other Lin threads.

thought this article was worth a read.

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I thought this was a good and accurate analysis of Lin's weaknesses. However, it seems to be quite one-sided and fail to mention his improvements from last season- his drastically lower turnovers, his above average defense, and all this while on a brand new team with boneheaded coaching.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Rick Adelman > JVG > McHale

If we are talking about Jeremy Lin, than absolutely Rick the Ruler.

It's Rafer in JVG's system vs Rafer in Rick's system.

Rafer was just jacking up spot up 3s and dumping the ball to Tmac/Yao. Rick allowed Rafer to control the tempo and drive.

16. leslie

leslie Member

I would like to watch some highlights (preseason+first 10 games) of his pick & roll and see how teams defended him differently.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

So what you are actually, in essence, saying is:

Pure defense coach > Pure offense coach > Defense and offense coach

I really do not think that anyone can take such a nuanced discussion and turn it, with basic arithmetic symbols, into a valid conclusion. Please start a thread, with your complete analysis presented, and we will discuss it.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't know why people don't say Rick coaches defense because his offense is so good.

We're talking about a guy given the same opportunity (Rockets) actually won a playoff series.

Also, JVG took what? the Knicks in a super weak Eastern Conference to the finals?

Rick took the Blazers to the NBA Finals twice! in the 90s Western Conference

Rick walks all over JVG.

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Rare that I agree with tin-idiot, but he's right. Rick Adelman regularly had top-5, top-10 defenses, especially with the Blazers and Kings. Hell, even with the Rockets he had top 5 defenses early on when Yao was healthy.

1 person likes this.
  20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

This comparison of coaches will be obfuscated completely by the personnel comprising the basketball squad. The player's have much more influence on winning than the coaches.