1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNNSI] Biggio told to remove Sunshine Kids pin

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Austin70, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

He has been wearing it for as long as I can remember, and now the league tells him to stop? Idiots. LINK

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) -- Craig Biggio was angry at the commissioner's office Thursday night after he was told to stop wearing a pin on his cap that bears the logo of a foundation that helps children with cancer.

The Houston Astros star said he has worn the bright yellow, sun-shaped pin, featuring the logo for the Sunshine Kids foundation, on his hat during spring training games for the past 20 years without a problem. He is the national spokesman for the foundation and is very active in its work.

"I'm not a disrespectful person and I don't disrespect the game," Biggio said. "But I've been wearing this pin for 20 years because it puts smiles on 20,000-something cancer patients' faces."

Biggio said someone in the commissioner's office contacted the Astros about instructing him to remove the pin, but he wasn't sure who it was. He said Houston general manager Tim Purpura was sent a fax with a picture of Biggio from Wednesday night's game.

Purpura declined to comment on the matter, as did a spokesman for Major League Baseball.

"Major League Baseball does a lot of good things, but this is one of the stupid things," Biggio said.

His comments came after he left Houston's 16-2 loss to the Washington Nationals on Thursday night.

The 41-year-old second baseman, who is 70 hits shy of 3,000, said he wears the pin in spring training because many of the pictures for baseball cards are taken during those games and the children like seeing the pin on those cards.

"That's what it's about," he said. "If somebody wants to sit in an office and feel good about themselves, they should feel real bad about this one. They didn't think about all the cancer kids that get enjoyment out of it."

Biggio said he was told before the game that he couldn't wear the pin, and the umpires approached him on the field to make sure it was gone.

Astros manager Phil Garner was also unsure who contacted the team about the pin.

"The league has a code where they watch what's on the uniforms and I don't know the full extent of it, but evidently the Sunshine Kids pin is not part of it," he said.

As for the game, Astros starter Chris Sampson, vying for the fifth spot in the rotation, allowed 12 hits and 10 runs in 2 1/3 innings. He gave up a home run in the first to Jesus Flores.

Ryan Church had three hits, including a home run, and five RBIs to lead the Nationals. Washington starter Jerome Williams allowed two runs and two hits in five innings.

"This was probably one of the best times I've thrown all spring," he said. "I got the ball down, working breaking balls and getting people out like I'm supposed to do. I felt real confident on the mound."

Williams was also happy with his hitting. The career .110 hitter had three hits and scored twice. Notes: Astros 3B Morgan Ensberg was replaced in the third inning after being hit once by a pitch and another time by a batted ball. Garner said Ensberg was bruised but OK.

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Stupid league... if anything they should require the whole team or all teams to wear it.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

yeah I saw this, pretty stupid and classless of MLB.

Biggio is a class guy and that logo should be on his cap as he is a real role model

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Damn, I've never heard Biggio say something this controversial.

Seriously, what can MLB do? Suspend him for Spring Training games?

Here's an idea...Biggio should write on his bat in black magic marker, "Major League Baseball hates kids with cancer". The BAT isn't part of his uniform, after all...

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If anything, then they should make Biggio replace his batting helmet with a new helmet. That helmet has to go. Biggio looks like a bum at the plate. Or, at least paint the damn thing. :mad: ;)

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what MLB classless?
    how's that possible? they only let players do ROIDS!
    they love ROIDS! ROIDS gives them homeruns, kids with cancer dont!

7. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I bet you it was Tony Gwynn, he never liked Biggio, damn hater.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

legalistic crap.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

wait, so he only wears it during ST? wat da *** iz da problem?

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

The MLB like to follow certain rules to the T.

11. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Well it certainly is a very clean league, full of do-gooders and stand up guys.

12. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well of course, steroids helped revive a dying sport nobody cared about not helping kids with cancer.

Biggio needs to wear it and Drayton needs to pay the fine and we will see what wins out in the court of public opinion.

F-You Selig and your bs

Let's see taking care of an out of control drug problem, not too important

Making the face of a wonderfull organization take a pin off his hat during a meaningless spring training game, priority number 1

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I find it funny that they are righteous about a harmless pin and yet they turned the other cheek when Horse-steroid-juiced ballplayers were breaking records at an alarming rate.

I hope the Astros organization makes a special helmet for Biggio that has his batting helmet ENTIRELY painted to look like the Sunshine Kids logo.

14. Enron

Enron Member

I guess the commissioners of the NBA, MLB, and NFL are having a contest to see who can be the biggest prick

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros should just make it part of their spring training uniform for the entire team.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Roids give kids with cancer a chance to catch homerun balls. Bonds and McGwired did it for the children.

17. 1Bowler

1Bowler Member

Have you never heard that baseball players are very superstitious.

18. Surfguy

Hence, the mad face followed by the winky face. I know very well how superstitious Biggio is. I find it ridiculous. Maybe it's actually working against him and he doesn't know. A new paint job could mean a whole new, better hitter and he could keep the helmet.

19. Buck Turgidson

Why do you care?

20. Surfguy

Actually, I can find something ridiculous and not really care about it. What is with you people today?