1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNN] Union: Pistol-whipped detective didn't shoot attacker because of headlines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GlenDice, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

But you also think cops should shoot at peoples legs so you are not even remotely qualified to have any opinion on firearms training. There are no such thing as warning shots or shooting to wound in the real world of deadly force.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You don't always have to use your gun is the point but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have one at all. In America there are far too many guns to have cops without guns. People aren't reacting badly to situations where a cop killed an armed man, they are upset at the unarmed cases. Proper training is needed for those cases.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The VAST MAJORITY of citizens aren't scary while black.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If it was me, I'd prefer the other person die to me ending up in the hospital. The life of anyone who would attack me means absolutely nothing at all.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

[​IMG]

6. bmd

bmd Member

I highly doubt you've been through police training. I have several people in my family who are police officers and I have before asked why don't police officers ever shoot someone in the leg. And they said they are not trained to "wound" someone. They are trained to aim for the chest.

So you saying that the police could have shot someone in the leg instead leads me to believe you have no idea what you are talking about, and you are lying about going through police training.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They signed up to defend the civilian population even at the cost of their own safety . .. not be executioners because they are cowardly b****es

Rocket River

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You are a coward
    and
    Should never be in Law Enforcement

Rocket River

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like he's lying about military training as well because they are trained to shoot center mass.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Question why wasn't they givin a taser for these training sessions.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, you sound like a child. I'm not a LEO and have no desire to ever become one because I don't have the patience for simpletons who talk about shooting people in the legs or it being someone's job to take a beating.

Anyone that attempts to attack me while I'm armed has forfeit their life. I would hope people would care enough about their own life not to do that. This isn't middle school anymore, you walk around trying to fight grown ass men, you run the risk of death.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

racists, improperly trained

None of these apply if they don't have guns. You guys keep waiting for these super hero, ninja, Batman, police force to come. Will be interesting to see if the public ever realizes they are just glorified meter maids and shouldn't be armed.

13. bmd

bmd Member

I'm pretty sure tasers are used to be able to restrain someone if there is more than one officer.

If it's just one officer, he's not going to use a taser.

14. Remii

Remii Member

No they didn't Rocket... Cops are not legally obligated to protect citizens...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/p...stitutional-duty-to-protect-someone.html?_r=0
    http://disinfo.com/2010/03/the-police-arent-legally-obligated-to-protect-you/

Lol...

But seriously... They would have to disarm all citizens before they did what you suggest.

I just find the excuse this cop is using very convenient for getting his weapon taken from him.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And I'm sure he'd advocate for that as well.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You can doubt all you want. If that makes you feel better that's fine. I have no reason to come on Clutchfans and lie about my training. I've noticed though that it's only the people who disagree with me who doubt my training. You are trained to use the force NECESSARY. There is no such thing as not training to wound. If that were true we wouldn't use ASP's or tasers at all.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have disagree with the range of force. Situations rarely give you that much time to make a decision. In fairness, cops have to operate on instincts in these types of situations.

Did he hesitated to pull the trigger becuase of what happened? Perhaps. If the guy got out of his car and moved towards him, he definitely had cause to pull his gun and order the guy to stay back, and then fire if he continued to advance.

What this sounds like is if he is hesitating because of all the media - then he isn't a good cop and he really mucked up. So I agree with that...but to say he could have pulled pepper spray or a taser out first I think might be a little unrealistic without knowing how the situation escalated.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The big problem here is that if this guy stays a cop and a situation like this happens again what happens?

Will he hesitate again and potentially cost him his life this time?

Will he jump the gun and shoot someone that shouldn't have been shot?

It might be best if this guy found a different line of work, or at least rode a desk for the rest of his career.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would love to see what veteran officers from the Met, or Paris Police Prefecture had to say about that use of force training.

The problem in the U.S. is systemic. The culture from the top down it at issue. I don't think you can place too much blame on officers when they are taught from day 1 that aggressive paranoid escalation is the appropriate response to anything.

20. TheresTheDagger

I know dozens of african americans. I've met thousands of others. Again, the VAST MAJORITY of them (100% of the ones I know personally) have never been shot at by a cop.

That doesn't mean their experiences with cops aren't materially different than other races. But they aren't being shot at like it's target practice as some would lead you to believe.