1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNN cans Piers Morgan show due to low ratings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 23, 2014.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You lose, Piers. Cheerio!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/23/piers-morgan-live-ending-canceled-cnn_n_4844154.html

CNN is ending 'Piers Morgan Live' after three years on air, David Carr of the New York Times reported.

Morgan took over Larry King's 9PM timeslot in 2011. Morgan's ratings were consistently low.

CNN sources confirmed the news to Politico.

As Carr points out, Morgan's contract is up in September. There's no word on whether he'll get another show or not.

“It’s been a painful period and lately we have taken a bath in the ratings,” Morgan told Carr. "I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarizing, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it."

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

My dislike for that man is hard to put in words, but arrogant comes to mind. It goes beyond politics, I genuinely never liked him. When I am channel surfing I skip through his show as quickly as possible. Now I won't have to bother.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I guess this is Jezza's worst nightmare

[​IMG]

4. downbytheriver

Tbh, Piers Morgan was a smart guy with the right take on most issues. For him to last 3 years is a huge achievement considering how polarizing he was and how we could identify the American viewer with his snooty attitude. But there was substance behind him rather than the play it safe style of Larry King, who I found dreadfully boring and afraid of pushing pressing issues. But King is the guy who will do well on American TV. Another prime example of the collective IQ of this nation when it comes to matters of foreign policy.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Wow, I thought that was kind of a placeholder slot; just book the occasional celebrity or the news subject of the day by virtue of the time and network. Love to see Charlie Rose, Lauer, Costas or even Bill Maher get it; but I think they should talk to Leno.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

Jeez, what a charmed life that guy leads if that happens.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Jon Stewart would be better as he guest hosted once in a while and would probably love to take on O'Reilly, but as Daily Show has grown in popularity his paycheck has probably made it tough for him to leave.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I didn't realize David Carr was reporting for The New York Times -- congrats.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He needs to realize his audience.
    He's thinking as a British citizen debating American culture, instead of immersing himself in the culture he wants to debate.
    Inevitable. Not sure if he was even a catch for many liberals either.

10. Raven

Raven Member

There are media whores on both sides who love to enrage the public. They don't care if some people hate them as long as it gets the other side to support their show, film, book, whatever. The problem for PM is that America has so many "professional a-holes" that we really don't need more of them.

I suspect HBO will find a place for him, that seems to be their specialty. If he were a right winger, he'd be heading to Fox, because that's their specialty. That's the real problem, though, isn't it? That cable has become the go to outlet for the worst of toxic media, and the public soaks it up, hideous talking heads pretending to be news and human freak shows pretending to be human interest programs.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

An excellent and accurate assessment of contemporary American media. It has declined precipitously.

12. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Stop watching MSNBC, CNN, and Fox. They are all steaming piles of dung, journalistically speaking.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I only saw a couple interviews, but he was clearly a bad fit for that type of show. It has nothing to do with him being a Brit and Americans still having the Spirit of '76. He was just a terrible host.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Wait, a talent free jerk gets cancelled and that is an indicator that americans are dumb? I have a feeling I know someone who is bringing down the average.

(It's you)

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>CNN execs: spending gazillions trying to steal 25% of MSNBC's audience, when they'd be better off stealing 10% of Fox News.</p>&mdash; David Burge (@iowahawkblog) <a href="https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/438116096483151872" data-datetime="2014-02-25T00:59:51+00:00">February 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think all of CNN's evening shows get crushed by the competition. I really don't watch any of them, unless there is some kind of big breaking news story.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Give me a nice face and pair of t*** and I'll tune into CNN everyday.

19. downbytheriver

It's not about dumb or smart. It's about tuning into the news to hear what you want to hear. BOTH dumb and smart republicans tune into fox to hear what they want to hear. Although growing up ideologically conservative and fiscally liberal, I have seen enough to open my eyes enough to appreciate hard hitting, core cutting news. Not FLUFF. The television public wants to hear that FLUFF so they can have the idiot box on and not interfere with the convenience of their day to day wind down.

I like interrogative, cerebral hosts like Piers and Howard Stern. Of course Stern plays it dirty and discusses raunchy issues so his ratings will never suffer.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Just holding the spot until Derek is ready to take over.