1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNN Article] Race hatred is a deep sickness in America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jun 19, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/18/opinions/liu-charleston-shooting/index.html

More at the link.

My take: Agree completely with the idea that America has glossed over the racial history we have. I have young members in my family that I see frequently who laugh at the idea that a black person today is in anyway impacted by the legacy of slavery or Jim Crow. "They weren't even alive!" is what I hear. Too many "good" people are completely blind to the reality of race and so they say nothing and do nothing about racism. Even when they see it they assume it can't be real.

3 people like this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The people who usually deny that racism exists do so because they are in fact racists themselves.

Racist is rampant in nearly every society, it's part of human nature. We are all, on some level - racist. It's only a matter whether or not we see it and therefore can overcome our personal bias towards others. But no one wants to believe they are bias - much easier to deny than except a flaw that has so much disapproval associated with it. Look at Bigtexxx. I truly think he believes he is not a racist.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Not putting you on the spot, just trying to understand your OP. What do you do about racism?

4. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

I can't and won't speak for justtxyank, here, DCkid...

...but the only thing anyone who's honest about what "racism" is can do (and racist is not what everyone is, in my opinion...or more accurately, is what everyone is capable of being...we are all prejudiced and bigoted at some level though, unquestionably) is what a person decides to do at the moment when their ideological beliefs meet the reality of the society we are continuously in the process of constructing here in America.

We can only fix or cure racism one person at a time, DCkid. We fix racism by how we treat one another. We fix racism in mutual kindness and courtesy and respect for each other as human beings and American citizens.

If the reports of the confession of the man who did this are accurate...he had some doubts about going through with his actions because of how well he said the people in that church had treated him for the hour or so he was there.

The failure was not in asking if there were some extant circumstances that could have prevented this from happening, to me. The failure comes from the choice made at the moment when the choice ultimate HAD to be made.

Those people did not die vainly or needlessly or senselessly in many ways to me, DCkid. They died to prove a point.

Love never dies...no matter how many times and ways hatred rises up to kill it.

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

justtxyank this country desperately needs more conservatives like you.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The first step is discussion. Seriously, as weak sauce as that may sound, being willing to discuss it is huge.

The realities of slavery, Jim Crow and the general repression of black people in this country may SEEM like everyone knows them, but the truth is, most people simply don't.

Education about history is a joke in this country on topics that are EASY to digest so shouldn't have to think too hard to realize how bad it is for difficult subjects. To many Americans, particularly young Americans, things like slavery and Jim Crow are just things in a text book, abstract ideas that impacted people a long time ago that we've now moved far from. To them, the "race problem" in America today is boiled down to "reverse racism against Whites!" "black on black crime" and the "black crime problem."

Concepts like inherited poverty are outright dismissed as a joke. I have a co-worker who blames the issues in the black community entirely on "broken homes" and says the solution is for black women "to keep their legs together."

We've reached a point where we are so removed from slavery and Jim Crow that to generations of white people those are just stories from the past and their perception of black people is that they choose to be poor, they are lazy and they are violent. "White people don't riot when things don't go their way!" "So and so was born poor and succeeded in life!" "My parents didn't give me anything and I made it!"

So, what do I do? What can we do? I just don't stand for it when I hear it. I'll challenge people's takes on race, I won't let jokes about race be told around my child, etc. I work to educate young people that I might come across and have deep discussion on the matter. It's not much, because quite frankly I'm not an important person in this world and I don't have a bully pulpit. But I can impact the small circle around me as best I can. More people should try as well.

1 person likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

I don't know anything about you except from this board, but if you ever decide you want a bully pulpit, I'd help fund you.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's a freaking awesome poster. There haven't been too many posters I'd be excited about meeting, but he's one of them. We're pseudo-neighbors out in Katy, I think.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Do you think Obama as President has worsened the divide? Kind of the last straw for the closet racists? I know its good for the younger generation to see a black person in the highest/most important office in America, but I also think brings out the deep rooted hate that a lot of people were able to suppress publicly.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I honestly have mixed feelings on this
    I think the beer summit hurt . . . he unloosed the reigns as a demonstration
    that this administration would do NOTHING to protect the rights of black from harrassment or anything
    After that BOOM BOOM BOOM
    The killings have been crazy

He inspires young black kids . . .by holding his position but that is about the extent of it

Rocket River

11. Major

Major Member

I think social media has a lot to do with it. For the first time in history, the crazies are able to project their craziness to the whole world without any filter. This lets people spout their crazy and get affirmation of it from the other crazies, which can help reinforce their worldview and also encourage them to act on it. I think Obama is mostly just concidental timing, but to an extent, having him as the image of America probably does infuriate the crazies and adds to their anger and discontent.

As justtxyank says, openly talking about it from the other side is vital - sunshine is the best disinfectant. All the people who say we should ignore racism or not talk about it or shift the blame to the victim communities are contributors to the problem - they enable the crazies by trying to kill the sunlight.

12. amaru

amaru Member

I agree with your take OP

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

But that can't happen when people are attacked for expressing idiot views that are racially tinged. If a senator says something racially insensitive, there should be a dialogue, but not an attack.

When people lose their jobs over remarks which may seem justified at the time, it doesn't foster the atmosphere to have an open dialogue with the aim of changing people. It encourages people to hide the words, but keep the attitude.

The worst racism isn't the language that's spoken, it's the actions that are taken that many times can't even be attributed to racism. How many people have never gotten an opportunity because of their race? Or been typed or profiled - not just by the criminal justice system, but for advancement?

Most people don't even realize they are doing it. That's the thing about racism, sexism, and prejudice in general. It's not always conscious.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Worsen? No. Nay. People said not to blame and than they blame. What's in people was already in people. Obama didn't cause someone to be crazy or have hatred, that's within themselves. He might be the trigger, but he wasn't the cause.

And how can it be of any surprise? After so many generation of racism being social norm, it's going to take much longer than a few generation to rid of hatred for black and then even longer to rid of prejudice.

It's all good down the road. Those deep rooted hate is going to linger as long as it's suppressed. Bring it all out and deal with it as a society.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'll say it til I'm blue in the face. We aren't all racist.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We aren't all thugs, criminals, handout seekers, victims and prey.

Rocket River

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Anyone who denies that racism that targets African Americans still is rampant in American society is a racist. No ifs ands or buts.

Anyone who buys into the 'reverse-racism' rhetoric that threatens White America is a racist. No ifs ands or buts.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I wouldn't go that far. A huge chunk of people are just plain ignorant or in denial.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What do you have against the Avatar ppl?

1 person likes this.