1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CMI Interview] Interview with Reggie Bush

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tigermission1, Jan 29, 2006.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Anyone seen this interview with the likely #1 pick for the Texans? It was nice, had a chance to hear him talk about everything from the Rose Bowl to his background to his doubters and those who question his durability in the NFL and all that stuff...one nice thing that came across to me was the fact that this guy seems very confident of himself.

The interview was on FSN this week, not sure if it's available somewhere online.

Did anyone else get a chance to see it?

Anyways, this link has an excerpt of the interview, and they did talk about the Texans picking him as #1 among other things...

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/5261484

"I feel like if I would have made the pitch and we'd scored, it would have been the greatest play in college history."

- Bush, on his controversial failed Rose Bowl lateral

Emmy-winning broadcaster Chris Myers' popular series, CMI: THE CHRIS MYERS INTERVIEW, returns to FSN for a second season on Sun., Jan. 22 at 10:30 PM local. The new season consists of 13 original episodes, airing weekly without interruption, and kicks off with an in-depth interview with superstar USC RB Reggie Bush.

In the season two debut, Myers sat down with the already legendary 20-year-old just one day after he declared himself eligible for the 2006 NFL Draft. The reigning Heisman Trophy winner opens up about his whirlwind experience with the two-time National Champion Trojans, his recent decision to turn pro and his thoughts on being selected as the likely number one pick by the struggling Houston Texans. Bush also defends his highly-criticized, failed lateral against Texas in the Rose Bowl, touches on the now-famous Matt Leinart end-zone-push against Notre Dame and candidly discusses his biggest fear about playing in the NFL.

Following the debut episode, CMI airs every Sunday at 10:30 PM local through April 16, with each episode repeated throughout the week. Upcoming episodes feature Seattle Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander, who currently holds the NFL's single-season touchdown record (Sun., Jan. 29), former Dallas Cowboys QB and current NFL ON FOX analyst Troy Aikman (Sun., Feb. 5) and Hall of Fame QB Joe Montana (Sun., Feb. 12).

The 30-minute interview-show features Myers sitting down with some of the most controversial and compelling figures in the sports world. However, in a departure from traditional interview formats, FSN airs each CMI episode virtually live-to-tape, with little editing, allowing them to be seen in the natural flow in which they happened.

The first CMI season profiled such intriguing sports personalities as Phil Jackson, Charles Barkley, Jose Canseco, Bud Selig, David Stern, Drew Bledsoe, Tony Stewart, Randy Moss, Danica Patrick, Pete Carroll, Jon Gruden, Jeremy Roenick, Tiki Barber and Reggie Jackson.

Excerpts from this episode:

Reggie Bush (on his failed lateral against Texas in the BCS championship game): "I play on pure instincts…I remember being surrounded by three guys getting ready to tackle me, and I saw one of my teammates off to the right by himself, and I tried to pitch the ball to him. That's the type of player I am. I play fearless and I'm willing to score at all costs. I feel like if I would have made the pitch and we'd scored, it would have been the greatest play in college history."

Bush (on his biggest fear about going into the NFL): "The first thing you think of is, ‘Am I big enough? Am I strong enough? Am I fast enough?' You've just really got to prepare yourself to your comfort level and at the same time not try to worry about everything as far as the physical aspects of the game."

Bush (on his impressive level of play): "I surprise myself sometimes."

Bush (on his favorite moment with USC): "Honestly, a favorite moment that I have is not actually me. It's when I pushed Matt [Leinart] into the end zone at the Notre Dame game."

Bush (on working out with Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson): "Man, it was tough work. It gave me the chance to see what it takes to be the best player, to see what it takes to be the best running back at the next level, and I was grateful for the opportunity."

Bush (on how important being selected first in the NFL draft is to him, and how it affected his decision to turn pro): "I think that might have swayed my decision to stay or go. For me, I think it's important for me to be the top pick."

-FSN-

#1 tigermission1, Jan 29, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Confident or Cocky?

Rocket River

3. tigermission1

I didn't think it was cocky at all...although I do like a bit of cockiness in players, but that will probably come along once he has some success in the NFL.

4. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

The only problem I have with the #1 pick is the fact that you take such a big hit money-wise. If the player becomes worthy in his NFL skills and ability, fine. If they don't, then it's a mess and can do more damage than good for the team.

I like Bush/Young, because they are both very confident competant players.

5. tigermission1

I don't think that's going to be a problem with Bush, the kid is a phenom, plain and simple; you can't go wrong with this kid, I think he's going to bring a lot of excitement to the Texans next season, it should be fun to watch.

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I'm not really worried. I think the Texans are in a unique situation where either could be productive.

7. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

It depends, do you want him or not?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

LOL. I don't want him so he's cocky.

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

He's right though. If he would've landed that lateral, USC probably wins the game and that highlight goes down in history. Oh well. :p

10. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

He admits it! ND fans have even more reason to b****!

11. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

That's what I always thought as welll. I loved the play. Didn't like the result (if I wasa USC fan) but I loved the attempt. That showed he is willing to do anything to get his team a TD. I thought it was funny how he was blasted for that while Young was heralded for his lateral play. I understand one worked and one didn't, but they were essentially the same play and Young was labeled "smart" and "creative" while Bush's play was called "boneheaded". It didn't make sense to me.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

There was a huge difference between Bush's failed lateral and Vince's aside from the fact that one was successful while the other one was not.

That's like saying you don't understand why people b**** about Brett Favre throwing a crappy interception into triple coverage when no one b****ed at Tom Brady for throwing a pass into single-coverage that was caught. They're both essentially the same play.

13. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

The other difference you failed to mention is that Bush's knee wasn't down when he tossed his. :p

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

One thing not mentioned in the article about the failed lateral was that Bush had said he had done it in high school before so he tried it again. Not a big deal but he should even know there is a HUGE difference between high school games and the National Championship game vs. a top 5 defense.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's just one of those plays where if it goes wrong, you're a total dumbass, and if it goes right, you're a flippin' genius.

16. gucci888

Agreed. Like he said, if completed, it probably would have been one of the greatest plays ever. Big risks equal big rewards, unfortunately for Pete Carroll, I'm sure he didn't want to take such big risks at that point of the game.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

When you lateral to a guy who is in no way expecting the ball and thus has no realistic chance to catch it, it's a bad play. Saying "it would have been great if he made it" is like saying that a contested 3 pointer by a poor shooter with lots of time left on the clock is a "good shot" if it goes in. Vince's lateral was to a veteran running back who was ready for the pitch. Reggie's toss, in contrast, was to a freshman receiver who hadn't touched the ball all year. Regardless of the result, it was a very bad decision on his part.

18. gucci888

I kind of disagree, I don't think anyone was expecting laterals to either players so being a veteran back or whoever doesn't really make a difference, no one saw it coming.

Either way, one worked out, one didn't. I think both Mack and Carroll will tell you they would rather see you tuck it and go down rather than try to make a superman play.

19. underoverup

underoverup Member

Vince Young does not have these fears.

20. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Of course not, so sayeth underoverup!!

:rolleyes: