1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clyde Drexler has got to go...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 22, 2012.

1. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

A freaking mean.

Also, he uses words like "neophyte".
    Which is never not awesome.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Clyde isn't so terrible. He is much better than he used to be. Not as good a Bullard though, and certainly not at the level where he deserves to actually have his job. He used to be a complete joke though, on us.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know ... I think he's getting more and more annoying by the year. Maybe, voice-wise, he isn't quite as wooden. But his commentary is getting dumber.

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think he has a problem with finding that happy medium with being a hometown commentator and being objective about the league. Bill's intentional homerism will throw off Clyde then he starts being overly positive about everybody on the floor. His timing is just bad.

And, towards the end of the broadcast, I get that Bill was trying to make the point that the Knicks aren't that good and they gave up a lot to get Melo but I think he was letting everyone else off the hook. Clyde was also right. The players on the court, at least the skilled ones (Amare, Fields,etc) weren't really playing hard and Dantoni deserves a huge part of the criticism. He doesn't demand defense and he wants to run his same crappy offense regardless of the players he has. How many threes does your team have to clank before you switch it up? Any good coach would have found some offense that is at least decent to go with the players he has on the court by now.

5. leslie

leslie Member

In today's game, Clyde said something like Lin is a true point guard and a really good shooter. I can understand if he does not know other players on the opposite team, but Lin was here during preseason training.

6. mclawson

mclawson Member

I'm pretty sure Clyde is playing the Drexler drinking game while he's on air:

Every time he does that stoner laugh - drink.
    Every time he says, "Ya think?" - drink.
    Every time he makes the most obvious possible statement - drink.
    Every time he tries to use a big word but fails to use it properly - drink.
    Every time he's corrected by Bill - drink.
    Every time his statement ranks high on the unintentional comedy scale - drink.

The fact that this causes him to drink a lot only makes him do more of the above, which leads to more drinking, which leads to an amazing cycling of inanity and idiocy.

I'd rather listen to Kathy Griffin or Carrot Top do the color commentary at this point. Playing the Drexler Drinking Game myself is the only way I can make it through the commentary most of the time.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Clyde is horrible night in and night out.

8. ILoveTheRockets

With how much community coffee Bill and Clyde drink, I don't think a 5th of thunder bird would get him drunk lol

9. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I agree with everything you said but he still bores me. I would need a great play-by-play announcer to make up for his monotonous color commentating.

10. mclawson

mclawson Member

Love stomach. Wow. I have to admit it though - I laughed.

And groaned.

11. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

i just heard that clyde will be included in a trade this deadline.

clyde drexler + 1st rd pick for charles barkley and his donkey :)

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Bull should be fired for wearing that suit

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Exactly.

I kind of understand the team wanting a company man who's going to give the homer slant on everything, and can see why they think Calvin is a PR risk (despite not being convicted of anything). But still, there are FAR better options out there than Drexler and Bullard. Worrell seems stunned from time to time when Drexler says something stupid; you can almost hear Bill thinking, "Really? Seriously? That's the best you've got, Clyde??" Followed by, "Jesus, I'm too good to be paired with this moron night after night." I'm downright embarrassed for him.

14. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I just watched the Memphis vs Denver game and the callers there were probably the worst I've ever heard....ever.

15. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Did anybody catch clyde saying: keys to the game, i left them in the car.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Leaves them in the car every game :rolleyes::p

Your keys to the game Clyde?

"You gotta shoot the ball! You gotta put the ball in the basket!"

"You gotta outscore your opponent. If you want to win the game, you have to outscore them!"

"And key number three, you gotta show up! You can't win the game if you don't show up!"

Guy is terrible, heh, heh, heh. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You know what kind of annoys me? When Bill says something and Clyde response, "You and me both!" It's only slightly less annoying than "Ya think?"

But I don't think the team will ever get rid of Clyde. He seems to be pals with Les Alexander, who is quite justifiably thankful to Clyde for helping win the 2nd title.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Les attends all the home games, right? Maybe he's never actually listened to what a horrible broadcast Drexler is.

A couple games back, he went on and on for 2 minutes of what a great person David Stern was, apparently oblivious to how Stern screwed the Rockets over. It was painful to listen to.

19. TheresTheDagger

Ever notice how often he disagrees with Worrell? Its almost as if he thinks its cool/funny to do so even when he's got to know he's wrong.

The other night he did it in post game when they (other announcers) were talking about how great Kevin Love was. Clyde claimed there were 5 power forwards in the NBA who were better.

Bullard and Worrell were just sort of stunned at first. Then politely disagreed with him.

20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Calvin>Clyde. I was surprised he was reading the score and the timeleft, I thought that was Bill Worrell's job. Drexler is too gentlemanly to do his job, Calvin would be shouting and hooting when Rocks make a spectacular play. His simpleness is just overplay, I wished he do more research, or more insight to the game instead of saying obvious things. Calvin is my favorite, his enthusiasm and flow for the Rockets is the best.