1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clyde Drexler has got to go...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 22, 2012.

1. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

I want the murph back also...with classics like cockeyed Jr:grin:

2. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Mt. Mutombo would fun as a guest commentator. Love to hear that guy talk!

3. TheresTheDagger

If you recognize the following call, you are a LOOOOONG time Rockets fan...

"There it is...there it is!....There It IS!!!....THERE IT IS!!!!!"

Bring back Calvin. And Turbo too while you're at it.

1 person likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Calvin was way more entertaining, Bullard is better than Clyde, but they are all Rockets, and they are all fine with me. Love Bill Worrell.

But Clyde needs to stop mispronouncing Dragic's name - it's not THAT hard, my goodness.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's tragic to mispell Dragic

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I like Bullard, he gives pretty good analysis and his bad puns and nicknames crack me up, he's very self-deprecating and doesn't take himself seriously at all.

I imagine he would be happy to do the job full time rather than just away games.

7. SuraGotMadHops

I remember that game, Murph predicted Clyde would hit the game winning shot out of the time out, then Clyde banked it in at the buzzer. That was awesome.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Heh heh heh you think?!

Laughs at anything and everything, heh heh heh.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've noticed Clyde strolling around before the game as well. Taking pictures and talking to random people (fans?). He gets there wayyy early.

What Les should've done is hire Clyde "heh heh heh" Drexler as the head coach, on a one year deal. That way us pro tankers would be in party mode. At least they can say he's actually trying to win, and yet break the world record for the least wins in 0-66.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Didn't we get Walt Frazier from the Knicks trade? ;) I like him, let's bring him over.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Clyde isnt that bad at times, he just has a tendency to obviously lack preparation before games. Half of good TV and radio personalities abilities are preparation.

Clyde and Bill have good compatability, and humor, but they just run out of material to talk, joke about, or have an opinion on so they end up hashing out the same jokes game after game. Do your homework. Come up with good talking points, and utilize them for dead air time.

Bill's been doing this forever, he can wing it. Calvin can wing it just because he is very opinionated and has a huge personality. Clyde, while good at times, needs alot of work.

12. jacoby

jacoby Member

But.... but he creates something....out of nothing!

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

While he's no calvin murphy - I kind of like the guy and his commentating.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Calvin was verbal and visual entertainment.. He liked to be seen and heard, which is what you want from a TV personality.... Clyde,on the other hand, is a down to earth guy that lives a boring lifestyle(nothin wrong with that)...He just needs to sip something before going on-air and let his swag do the talking......

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I feel spoiled because the Astros announcers are so awesome. Why don't we have anyone as good as Jim Deshaies to do Rockets commentary.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

They should have a short segment during timeouts and halftimes where Clyde "heh heh heh" Drexler is forced to club baby seals.

17. Garner

Garner Member

he is a local broadcast commentator- you can only expect so much.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I love Clyde, he isn't a basketball coach or commentator. His nickname applies on and off the court.

1 person likes this.
  19. blunto

blunto Member

When Clyde first took the gig, dude drove me nuts. Thought there was no way he'd last. With time, my opinion has changed.

What hasn't changed is that he's really bad at his job. But the thing is, he's entertainingly bad. I don't really need him for analysis or insightful commentary, I more so prefer to smh at his ineptitude and I kinda get a kick out of how uncomfortable he makes Bill.

More value to being able to laugh at what a fool he makes of himself than listen to some stiff who says all the right things. I mean, the Drexlerisms thread is a testament to his entertainment value.

20. blunto

blunto Member

...and for what it's worth, I'd rather have Calvin back in there too. By a mile.