1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clyde Drexler Commentary is Unbearable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Oct 13, 2007.

1. yobod

yobod Member

i dont like how they disturbed CD and his wife to promote tickets..."youve got some nice seats, there wont be many later on right carroll? the fans better hurry"

2. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I actually like Clyde Drexler's commentary...he's got only nice things to say about everything which is refreshing.....i never thought of anything as negative until you bring it up. So i have no problem with him...

3. moses22

moses22 Rookie

i like clyde he is up beat and hyper im not bored when i listen to him and yeah he may say some wacky things but he isnt corny

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Bill Worrel isnt exactly perfect either :rolleyes:

5. moses22

moses22 Rookie

he was sayin that many people in the L travel but it is never called(allen iverson) but they always call moving screens

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why do you think Les Alexander likes this guy? Definition of of a sycophant. Telling Les how ****ing wonderful his players are.

7. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

He gets paid 3 times the amount to work once a week for ABC.

8. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Drexler is a consummate professional, and he was a stellar defender back in his day.

Seriously, does this guy even watch any games in his free time? Does he prepare at all for the games he calls?

9. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I dont know about you but Bill Worrel is regarded as one of the best play by plays around the media. He is truly great to listen to and is the only reason why listening to a rockets game is bearable because he negates Clyde's idiocy.

10. yobod

yobod Member

agreed, bill is a natural. despite sometimes he's a little off. he was talking about how the knicks and rick patino did a lot of pressing even though he meant the celtics. but his delivery is perfect.

11. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I guess the organization is always too busy trying to better the team with new players and all that other stuff that they kinda forgot (or don't really care) about the color commentating team.

Anyways although I never really liked Clyde's commentating from the start, I've kinda gotten used to it. Although sucky to me, it doesn't bother me as much anymore. Maybe he'll change a bit when this new Rockets team plays a winning up-tempo game.

But it could be worse. I'd rather have him commentating on the Rockets any day than coaching the UH team. Go Coogs! and Rockets! CROCKETS!

12. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Bill Worrel: What a spin move by Yao!
    Drexler: Yah, Yao with a impressive spin move!
    Bill Worrel: *_*

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Drexler can get annoying, but at least he's not the Hastings and Marlowe duo in Denver.

Get League Pass and you'll know what I'm talking about.

14. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I think I'll just take your word on that. If I hear due that's worse than this, my head will explode and I'mma hafta go hurt someone.

15. johnrox

johnrox Member

I like Clyde. But actually I liked calvin better. he's a character on TV and he realy has something to say, when the team isn't doing well, he just says it. But I really don't mind Clyde, just a happy go lucky guy.

I remember last year in the 7th game, he's like saying, yeah there's still time to win the game and tracy can turn it on soon and there was like 1 minute left and rockets were down, he was completely laid back. Bill was like, um, rockets better make a move!!! Retirement must be a very nice thing for Clyde.

Anyways I can take him because at the very least he has been through some real battles. so he isn't saying things out of ignorance, rather it's just he's living it up, no more stomach knots in those tense moments for him no matter what!

16. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Shouldn't it worry you tho that when the Rockets are losing and everybody and their mums are tense, this guy is just taking it with stride? I want a commentator that'll be like "OH SH*T!!" when it's a close game 7.. ok maybe not those exact same words but I want to get that feeling that he'd want to really say that.

17. Coca Cola Scola

Yeah, LOL. Dawson looked uncomfortable...and his wife didn't look happy. I wonder if Dawson's departure is a sore subject because he didn't seem too happy when he was asked about his new role.

As for Clyde, I wouldn't mind him if he would just stay on topic...just talk about the Rockets....He goes off on tangents and chuckles all game long for no reason. It's clear that he has not studied broadcasting at any level.

18. IMissJVG

IMissJVG Rookie

Is that why Drayton McLane fired Alan Ashby? I thought that was a pathetic move, and now we're stuck with some boring-ass radio broadcasters once Milo calls it quits.

19. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Hey, at least he's not Tim McCarver...

Seriously, that guy broadcasts NATIONALLY TELEVISED PLAYOFF GAMES.