1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Would you feel differently if McHale had been a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It was only 25 years ago, CH. Plenty remember something, even if they were kids. I had been married for years, and living in Austin since 1980, so perhaps my memory might be keener than most. Well, it would had I lived a more "restrained" lifestyle. ;-)-

Hey, I loved the pic of Petersen guarding McHale! Some here act like Shane invented the face guarding technique, which is obviously not the case (or maybe Jim was trying to poke his eyes out). Damn, I'd kill to have the Jim Petersen from back then on the Rocks, even if he was more of a 4. He'd be starting at the 5 spot, and better than anyone else we have, excepting Chuck. Heck, Chuck would be relegated to the bench mob on height alone.

You may not say it lightly, Batman, and I certainly understand why you're royally pissed off, but they're the Rockets. They could have Little Finger coaching the team and Tyrion Lannister as the owner, and I'd still be suffering through every game. This too shall pass.

#41 Deckard, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I enthusiastically concur.

Bring the old unis back.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I want the ketchup and mustard back. FOREVER.

The dildo pinstripes were terrible and the new ones I've never liked either.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I've said this in other threads, but I haven't maintained a loyalty and enthusiasm for the Rockets because of their name, because of their jerseys, because they're the team I grew up on, or because they're from Houston, my hometown. I have been loyal and enthused because of the guys on our team and those who spent the full legacy of their histories with us.

Rudy T, Calvin Murphy, Moses, Hakeem and on and on and on.

"This too shall [quite possibly not] pass" where I'm concerned.

I believe our owner is intensely disloyal and a slimeball to boot. He is ruining this lifelong love for me.

And as I've said in past threads, I can be pushed far enough to lose my enthusiasm for a team, even my favorite one in any sport of all time. I said before that if Jerry Sloan, Karl Malone or John Stockton had come to this team, I would drop them in a heartbeat.

I'm under no obligation to root for this team just because they're "The Rockets." I either will or won't - that remains to be seen - but both my warm feelings toward and my intense interest in the Rockets are severely diminished. Not by one act, not by two or three, but by attrition; by one bad act after another.

You keep rooting. I don't begrudge you that. As for me, I am on the hunt for another NBA team that I can feel good about supporting. Because every good feeling I had for this team has been deflated and demolished like a ballon popped, ripped, stepped on and tarnished until only its bare rim remains.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I couldn't root for another team. Hell, I still don't give a damn about the Texans, because Bud Adams ripped the heart of the NFL out of its chest, as far as I'm concerned. At least Alexander, after blackmailing the city, kept the Rockets there. Yeah, I'll still be rooting for the Rockets, regardless of how stupid and vile the ownership manages to be.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A number of people who post here appear to be 13 or under, as such, they might not even remember McHale drafting Garnett, let alone McHale playing in 86.

I wonder if we can get Petersen to come spend some time with Thabeet and share the secrets on being an mediocre big man in the NBA. I am concerned that KMac's lessons might be too advanced for Thabeet.

Tyrion Lannister is awesome! If he buys the Rockets I'd watch more!

Cersei, on the other hand, would make me less inclined to buy tickets and enrich that b****.

7. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Daryl is Cersei and Les is Jaime.

But ya, I was 1 in 1986 so there.

8. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Where was the 12 page article on Jim Petersen in the NY Times?

9. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

1987 was the first year I followed the NBA at all (age 11) and my first favorite team was the Celtics. And my first favorite player was Kevin McHale (mostly because it seemed like everybody else's favorite Celtic was Larry, so I had to be different.)

So, yes, I probably would feel differently if McHale had been a Rocket. I probably wouldn't have such fond memories of him! ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. Raven

Raven Member

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Kevin McHale was a Rocket hopefully he wouldn't have signed autographs with "Houston Sucks" so in that case I might feel a bit better about him as coach.

Even with that though I still wouldn't like this signing. I've lived in MN for more than 10 years and have seen first hand the terrible job that McHale did as a GM for the T-Wolves and while some players have said good things about him as a coach he still had a bad record.

I will remain a Rockets' fan but McHale is going to have to win me over to convince me that this was a good decision to hire him.

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'd feel worse if he was a Rocket, that Celtics organisation from the 80's has so much more pedigree.

PS for All Larry sucks as a GM, he was a damn good coach.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Nice photoshop, SeƱor Clutch. :eek:

I don't think he would have gotten tossed out of games or lost his cool. So, yes, probably... I would have liked McHale... he had that TRANSFORMERS-like Dream shake... where he only shook his shoulders and looked mechanical. :grin:

[​IMG]

Here's my photoshop of KEVIN McHale hired as coach:
    [​IMG]

Let's have a new coach Launch Party! ;)

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think signing "Boston Sucks!" in Boston would have been more likely. This is a fantasy, folks. I hated Bird back then, as well, but would have killed to have him playing for the Rocks.

15. Cleepy

Cleepy Member

I would feel better if he wasn't coming from the Minnesota Timberwolves

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure I would take a McHale in his prime as a player but I not now as a coach.

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I feel the Rockets hired McHale for a good old fashioned tank job. The press conference and everything else is a joke, they know this guy as a coach is about 1 thing. I feel if Jordan, Olajuwon, Bird, Magic and etc also make bad coaches. HOF champions don't coach well and that's a fact.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

[​IMG]

Only one of the four you listed ever really coached, and you might want to go look up his coaching resume.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

As Cxbby stated, Larry Bird had a very good coaching record.

Other NBA Hall of Famer players who have had good records as coaches include Lenny Wilkens, Bill Russel, Billy Cunningham and K.C. Jones.

So, no, that's not a fact.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would have respected him more if he were a Rocket,but that doesn't change my skepticism about his coaching abilities.