1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Would you feel differently if McHale had been a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 2, 2011.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Don't care either way.

Just want to see what he can mold Patterson and Hill into.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

anyone decent on any of those teams would give me nightmares on the coaching staff. McKey, Gill, Hawkins, Schrempf.. ok I take that back--Eddie redeemed himself

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How about Shawn Kemp as the strength and conditioning coach? :)

4. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Excellent photoshop, Clutch.

I also see where you're coming from. If he can help Thabeet and Hill become something/anything, that would be nice.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kemp lives in Houston right?

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Don't care either way, he was a great player and hopefully will be a great coach. It's not like he hurt a Rocket player or insulted the team, as far as I know. If he did, here's his chance to make things right. He seems like a great guy, really down to earth and has a natural way that demands respect.

I hope he is nothing like Adelman though, I want to see that fight in him that he had as a player. I want a guy screaming on the sidelines and especially one who's better at decision making in the 4th quarter instead of watching your team lose in the clutch.

By the way, hiring any Sonic is a no-go. That 1993 series should've been the Rockets and those guys were too cocky and too much talk. Perkins face when he shot FTs and body language was way too relaxed and they couldn't stop him at times.

For the sake of wanting an ex-Rocket, I would love for Alex to show some love for Elie or maybe even Cassell.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

McHale is a Celtic and he always will be a Celtic. He may have a job with the Rockets, but that doesn't make him a Rocket. If he had played for the Rockets, then I would consider him a rocket. I will support him as our coach, and I hope he does well, but he will not be wearing the Rocket uniform, and he is not a Rocket.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Is Carroll Dawson considered a "Rocket"? He has never worn a Rocket uniform, however there is a banner hanging in Toyota Center with the initials "CD" on them. Not sure if that counts.

9. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

What if Micheal Jordan wanted to coach us?

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think that banner is kinda silly, but he has been a big part of the Rockets. Also, Dawson never played in the NBA, so he is not associated with another NBA team like McHale is. People will always view McHale as a Celtic. However, I do wish McHale good luck coaching the Rockets.

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

You mean Michael Jordan the PROVEN FAILURE of a GM? What could he possibly offer?

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i think shawn kemp's specialty is getting drunk. is he good at strength and conditioning?

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I wouldn't have liked Mario or Sam for the job either given their lack of coaching experience, so i don't think it matters what team McHale played for during his glory years. Show me some success in Minny during his time at the helm there ....that would go a long way toward making me feel good about this hiring.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If he were a rocket, we would have won several championships in the 80s.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Clutch, your stories have significantly altered my opinion on both the loss of Adelman and the signing of McHale for the better and they have tempered my disappointment with the most current moves. The thing is, I've been pissed at Les since the Rudy stuff went down. I got more pissed when the Calvin Murphy stuff went down (though I didn't particularly like him as an announcer, it struck me as a callous act of betrayal against a Rocket lifer and hero), I got more pissed when the JVG stuff happened and I got pissed for what felt like the final time when this stuff with Adelman happened. When I understood the reasons for it, I got even more pissed.

I will watch the Rockets next year with interest, but I expect I will watch them casually and not as the passionate fan I managed to be from the age of 5 or so until the age of 42. (Remember, I was high on every era from Moses Malone being our team leader to last year in which Chuck Hayes was, and every single year I clung to the irrational hope that the Rockets could overcome, right up to the game in each year in which they were mathematically eliminated.)

But I feel burned by Les one time too often. I will continue to frequent this site, at least to lurk, because I know and enjoy the personalities here. But, for now, my enthusiasm for this team has taken its final hit.

It wouldn't matter to me if McHale was a former Rocket and it wouldn't have mattered if they'd hired Cassell or Elie. The disappointment I've felt with each of these moves has cut too deep for me and too many times.

I don't say any of this lightly. Being a Rockets fan has brought me as much joy as almost anything in my life. I know that I will be losing something significant if I continue to lose interest in this team and cease to vigorously root for them. But this is what it is and I cannot deny the feelings I have.

1 person likes this.
  17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I forgot to mention Turbo. ;)

The point is that if Les has no loyalty toward our coaches and other former Rocket icons, even when they are indisputably doing a great job and are well liked and respected by fans, why should I continue to show loyalty to 'his' team?

Fool me once, shame on him. Fool me this many times and in the immortal words of Pete Townsend (and the legendary gaffe by GWB), I won't get fooled again.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I actually don't care if the coach has ever played for us. And I didn't hate the Celtics as much as I hated the Lakers.

But that photoshop is probably conjures up the weirdest feeling Clutch has ever made.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm still pissed Les changed the uniforms after the 2nd championship team.

who the hell does that?

20. Garner

Garner Member

Can we get a petition going?

Seriously, this forums is what.... 50,000 strong?